Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    John Morris in his (now rather dated) Age of Arthur writes;

[The Hundred] was a district assembly, already long established and taken for granted in the late 7th Century...

In later times, the English Hundreds were grouped into large shires, and many changed their boundaries and their names. But traces of their antiquity remain. ...
    A number of Hundreds are named from pagan barrows or burial-grounds, and some long contineued to meet there; such sites cannot have been first chosen after Christianity had made bishops the advisers of kings and peoples; they remained in use when they had already been meeting-places in the 6th Century or the early 7th. Such meeting-places were familiar to the continental English; one, at Thorsberg in Angel, marked by a monument in the midst of a large cemetary, was an important regional centre, possibly the national centre.

Have any people heard of this site in Angeln? I couldn't find it for sure on the map, but there is a Thorsberg Moor in Suederbrarup on Google Earth. (Coordinates 54 38 32 - 09 46 24) Is this the same place?

I'm curious to hear about the nature of the ancient monument, if it still survives.

EDIT: the Notes in the back of the book says that there is a description of the place in the journal Antiquity 26, 1952,14. I haven't access to a library at the moment, so if anyone has, could you have a look?

Last Online
    Monday, May 29th, 2017 @ 09:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Denmark
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Reason
    Religion
    Science
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Yes, this is the very place you heared of.

Near the anglish town of Süderbrarup there is a swamp called "Thorsberger Moor", where germanic tribes brought their sacrafices for the gods. It is generally seen as one of the most important culture-historical places in Angeln. I remember seeing streets and even a school being named after the Thorsberg (Thorsbergschule= Thor's Hill School, Am Thorsberg= at Thor's Hill) when I was working there.

There are lots of that sacraficial swamps in my region, and while they are not impressive in a monumental way (there are no shrines or anything), they are nice, untouched places of nature. For I now live in Kiel, the capitol city of Schleswig-Holstein, I haven't been there for a long time, so, much to my regret I cannot provide any photos (I hope the comment was helpful though).

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Saturday, June 11th, 2016 @ 12:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    CM-Atlantidish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by totenlicht View Post
    Yes, this is the very place you heared of.
    Many thanks, Totenlicht! It's great to hear from someone in the region.

Where do they put the discovered sacrificed weapons and so on, though? Is there a central museum in Kiel or anywhere? I don't have immediate plans to check out my forebears' old homeland, but would like to some time in future.

Last Online
    Monday, May 29th, 2017 @ 09:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Denmark
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Reason
    Religion
    Science
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Actually, most of the weapons and jewelry lie in the castle of Schleswig, which was the most important city in Schleswig-Holstein in former times. Because the objects were discovered before the rise of Kiel in the imperial era (Emperor Wilhelm II. strongly advocated Kiel for it was an important base for the imperial german fleet).

Also, Schleswig is more of a compromise with the danish (because its nearer to the border and has stronger cultural influence from denmark than Kiel ), who also claim ownership of the ancient objects

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12