View Poll Results: Should army be seen as a job or a patriotic duty?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always a Job

0 0%
  • Always a Duty.

14 48.28%
  • Both, it depends on the situation.

12 41.38%
  • Neither/Other (please elaborate)

3 10.34%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Serving in the Army: A Job or a Duty?

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 12:29 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    German, Irish
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grazny View Post
    Now people see the army like a job and not like a patriotic duty. I've seen a lot of documentaries of American soldiers in Iraq and they all saying the same think: "It's a job". I mean where are the days when one would fight for his country? When people start seeing the army as a job, this will make them cut and run when their lives are in danger (this is happening right now when a lot of American soldiers want to go home). When one will see the army as a duty he will be more willing to fight.. and not cut and run...
    This is my opinion.....
    :
    As a young man I could not bear the thought of getting old and not having served in the military. So I joined the Army National Guard, Infantry. I chose infantry over armor as I preferred the idea of bleeding out while laying on the soil under the sky, to the thought of burning to death in a tank. I did not want to serve in the rear.

In the National Guard you are assigned to a local unit. All of the soldiers are from the area. The area I lived was mostly white. Our units ranks reflected that(There are very few blacks in the US infantry, two in our battalion). The people in my unit all volunteered for the Infantry. I would not want to serve with draftees. Pay in the National Guard is minimal. Mine covered my travel expenses. All soldiers go through the same basic and advanced training along with the regular army troops. Monthly training in very minimal to maintain skills and paperwork. Then we train for a few weeks in the summer. Additional schools and duties are available to those who volunteer and qualify.

Our Battalion has deployed overseas for 3 times since 2001, and will be going again soon. Each deployment is @3 months training and 12 months in theater. This makes it very difficult to attain and keep good civilian employment with out a (very)patriotic employer. Support of the local community help greatly with this.

As to service in the U.S. military being a job, it is. Those who join thinking they are going to ride a white horse into battle and destroy the evil enemy are sadly disappointed. We are involved in police actions that we know have little affect on defending the country. Yet we still serve. We know they are not the type of wars that are "won". Yet we still fight.

`Forward the Light Brigade!'
    Was there a man dismay'd?
    Not tho' the soldier knew
    Some one had blunder'd:
    Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do & die,
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

Patriotism, Duty, and yes it is also a job. Jobs are important to Americans of traditional upbringing. We are given a task and we complete it well. We take pride in our work, and reputation.

American soldiers are very aggressive. They do not "cut and run". As to soldiers complaining, they are humans, humans complain.
    "Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect."

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 12:29 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    German, Irish
    Country
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Solar Wolff View Post
    Exactly! These are professional soldiers. Besides this class of soldier we have "weekend warriors", reservists who train one weekend per month. They get a monthly check, every month, war or peace.

The United States has a professional military, not citizen soldiers, not poor draftees. There is absolutely no reason to feel sorry for these guys. These are adults who knew exactly what they were doing when they ENLISTED. Hey, THEY TOOK THE MONEY. This situation is not like the Vietnam experience of a draftee army. There is no reason for the constant calls to support the troops. This is not a high school football game. You support a high school football team but you buy season tickets to a professional football team. The citizens of the United States have bought the season ticket. We can leave the hype at home.
    Yes, they get paid. We do want our professional soldiers to raise successful families.

Yes, most know what they are getting into when they volunteer to serve in the armed forces of their country, at least they have seen the movies.

No, I do not feel sorry for them or myself. They do need our support. We need to honor their service, some of them are taking great risks to protect our country. Yes, cheer them forward, like a football team. Celebrate in their victories, and share the sorrow of their defeats. Remember the great ones and tell stories of their gallantry to your children.

I am very happy to have served in an all volunteer army. We all wanted to be there. (Well, really we just all wanted to shoot machine guns and blow things up and they don't let us do that at home.)
    "Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect."

Last Online
    Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 @ 05:36 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Scottish/German
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work sucks
    Politics
    ethno nationalism
    Religion
    Catholic Texas German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    How can you expect any person to honestly care about notions of nationalistic honor when they live in a multicultural hell?

Those nationalistic days are long gone in most individuals minds. If you talk to the average under 30 Army/Navy or even Air force member they'll tell you they are doing it to pay for university or just as a job for future contacts in security sectors. Nobody says anything along the lines of patriotism or notions of nationality. It's about economic need. Truth be told most in the military wouldn't be there if they didn't have to be for socioeconomic reasons.

Anyone who has any notions that the military isn't corrupt, you're wrong. There's tons of corruption at the highest levels. Generals with contracting corruption, payoffs, multimillion dollar villas in third world countries, tons of that stuff on every level, and most of it is looked over. It's an industry on a global level and has nothing to do with honor or nationality and hasn't since post WW2.

Bavarian Berkserkr
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 @ 07:03 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Primarily German. Other northern European listed in DNA test results.
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Oklahoma Oklahoma
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retired military and student.
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Then do something about it. Don't act like you care that our team sucks when you won't go play with them, let alone go watch the game. It's not that we don't all acknowledge the problems. Some of us are just caring to fix it. Why don't you?

Last Online
    Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 @ 05:36 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Scottish/German
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work sucks
    Politics
    ethno nationalism
    Religion
    Catholic Texas German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothhammer View Post
    Then do something about it. Don't act like you care that our team sucks when you won't go play with them, let alone go watch the game. It's not that we don't all acknowledge the problems. Some of us are just caring to fix it. Why don't you?
    Why should anyone be interested in dying for a system that actively rapes them?

I would never die for the current system in any form. I know many nationalist types who feel the same way and are equally sickened by it. I'd never risk my life for some scumbag bureaucratic asshole in the pentagon who has illegitimate revenue streams from corrupt contracting deals. That system (industry) interests me not. It does not serve me. It serves it's multicultural, consumerist hive-hell and works to eliminate those remaining factions in the world that are not subject to that consumerist hive-hell yet.

Would I or should I feel an obligation to die for that multicultural entity which would have my future daughter raped by some Jamal ghetto fuck? No thank you. That system and it's sub-systems can employ in the meat-grinder the less enlightened ones. I'll sit back and watch in putrid disgust.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    The poll doesn't make sense.

Anyway, joining the army must be a duty because it certainly doesn't pay enough to be considered a reasonable long term career.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Last Online
    Thursday, November 24th, 2011 @ 09:16 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain/germany
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Fashion
    Politics
    preservation
    Religion
    I'll believe it when I see it
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can you please change the way the poll is worded so that it makes sense
    'you're all just visiting' -the good shepherd

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 11:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    I'm going to give this question a very pragmatic answer:

In a peacetime situation, it is a job like any other: That is the whole point of entertaining a standing army - you pay a bunch of folks to safeguard the country's defence and order, in return they get payment, security and accomodation.

To entertain a professional army during those times (rather than a conscript one) might also give youngster otherwise pretty hopeless for a career to make something out of their lives; the way the conscript army works in Austria is that they're more interested in destroying than making careers, it has now become standard practice to draft folks into the army in the middle of their studies or apprenticeship.

For those of our political convictions, they tend to also block applications for service beyond conscript service. For those that are conscripted, it's almost a waste of half a year (a period too short, if anything, anyway) and basically you learn no skills you couldn't otherwise have acquired. It is filled with Turks, and the army is so ridiculous that a group of semi-intelligent folks could break into our barracks: They're guarded by ill-trained recruits, and are commanded by grossly overweight officers.

In a wartime situation, it is evidently a duty, and not just for those that would normally be considered apt for military service: Any man should be ready to jump to defence of his fatherland as long as he knows how to hold a gun the right way around lest his physical health otherwise does not allow (you can't send the blind or wheelchair-bound man to the front, you're better off employing them in other ranks of use).

That being said, it is good we have soldiers, even in peacetime situations. A working folk community needs all types of people: The mothers, the children, the builders, the growers, the thinkers, and yes - the soldiers. Those that do choose a career in the armed forces have my greatest respect, but it is not for me: I am more use to furthering my folk via other means, and in the current system I also see more feasible options to physically defend my folk (in the streets, security jobbings, younameit).

Finally, I'm not prepared to swear an oath to serve a country which I don't even formally accept as having a right to exist. My nationalistic pride as a German sees no point in serving an Austrian state.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 11:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    On popular demand, I have also altered the poll options to make more sense, and also to allow for other options (the "both" and "neither/other" option having been added).

I also reset the voting counter to zero for either of the options. If you were one of the 16 people that cast their vote thus far for one of the existing options, please inform me via the reputation system which option you chose (or which alternative option you would like to choose on the extended poll) and I will amend the counter for you accordingly.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothhammer View Post
    I personally think it should be mandatory that ever male in the US physically able to complete basic training be required to serve for atleast a few years, whether as and enlisted or an officer. For all I've heard on here in the time I've been reading prior to registration I don't understand why more people here aren't of like minds. I've read complaints on the forum about gang activity. It's a known fact gang members have been joining the military to learn squad tactics, so why shouldn't Germanics be encouraged to also join? If for nothing else, we should join to learn the same skill sets for ourselves as a defensive tactic. I've read complaints on how the diversification of the military is ruining it. Well it would only make sense that it would then become our duty as proud Germanics to flood recruiting stations with our presence and join to make ourselves a greater presence, strengthening the military with our work ethic, efficiency, and sense of duty.
    This is the very reason why our young men should join the military. Our people need leaders for what may or may not come. We also will need soldiers. It is one thing for someone to say " I will defend my folk " and another thing for them actually being able and trained to do so.

As far as fighting for the "right" cause, soldiers are people they are not brainwashed machines otherwise former soldiers would not be on the watch list by the US homeland security.

I don't know about today's military, but back in the 80's most of the combat units were made up of at least whites if not Germanics. Most of the other jobs were filled by racial others back then.

Not only that I met other Germanics there and we remain loyal friends to this very day.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast