View Poll Results: Should army be seen as a job or a patriotic duty?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always a Job

0 0%
  • Always a Duty.

14 48.28%
  • Both, it depends on the situation.

12 41.38%
  • Neither/Other (please elaborate)

3 10.34%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Serving in the Army: A Job or a Duty?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Deutschland
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Re: Army a Job or a Duty?

Many of the young men and women join right out of school for economic reasons. Some have already signed up before graduation.
    Georgia

http://www.goarmy.com/nfindex.jsp

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 07:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Hoosier
    The U.S. has had an all volunteer military for over 30 years. To get people to enlist the military uses several sales pitches such as "job training" "paying for college" "opportunity to travel". "Its not just a job it's an adventure!" use to be one of their slogans. They also emphasize the benefits of military duty, like full medical & dental, a pension at 50% of base pay after 20 years.
    Part of the problem with the U.S. military is that it has become just another branch of the civil service but with uniforms. I served in the military 25 years ago & some of the problems then were people who were lifers, individuals who were staying in for at least 20 years just to get the pension & lifetime medical/dental coverage. Some of these people were lazy & incredibly incompetent, especially those ranked E-5 & E-6. And there was affirmative action which gave non-Whites extra points in advancement. It's amazing how well the U.S. Military can function with all the lazy morons within it's ranks.
    Exactly! These are professional soldiers. Besides this class of soldier we have "weekend warriors", reservists who train one weekend per month. They get a monthly check, every month, war or peace.

The United States has a professional military, not citizen soldiers, not poor draftees. There is absolutely no reason to feel sorry for these guys. These are adults who knew exactly what they were doing when they ENLISTED. Hey, THEY TOOK THE MONEY. This situation is not like the Vietnam experience of a draftee army. There is no reason for the constant calls to support the troops. This is not a high school football game. You support a high school football team but you buy season tickets to a professional football team. The citizens of the United States have bought the season ticket. We can leave the hype at home.

Last Online
    Sunday, September 21st, 2008 @ 09:33 PM
    Subrace
    Brünn-Nordic w/ Borreby & Baltid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Libertarian-Conservative
    Religion
    Anglo-Saxon Heathenism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the fact is that hundreds and hundreds of years of christianity, capitalism, and modern political thought make soldiering as a patriotic duty nigh impossible. States are no longer living, ethnic entities, i.e no longer nations. The modern state is a completely political entity, and I'll be damned if they want to make me fight their wars. Although I'm living in the UK now I'm also an American Citizen as well, and I can promise you if there's ever a draft in the States you can bet I'll be barricaded in my house shooting at the draft officers. That's my patriotic duty as an American - to not let the government tell me what to do!
    "the savage who loves himself, his wife and child with quiet joy and glows with limited activity of his tribe as for his own life is ...a more real being than that cultivated shadow who is enraptured with the shadow of the whole species" - Herder

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Hoosier
    It's amazing how well the U.S. Military can function with all the lazy morons within it's ranks.
    How do you measure this?
    I have been in the german military (conscript) and I experienced some trainings with american soldiers, and at least the infantry performed rather poorly. (Army Infantry, Marines were quite good, not as good as we were though )
    It's been a while since the US army really got tested, don't you think?
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Thursday, August 20th, 2009 @ 01:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Uralic/Alpine/Pontid mixed
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

military service should be seen as a duty.

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 27th, 2007 @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For many years being a soldier has been seen and considered as a job. A job that has to be learnt, a technique that has to be mastered to get a result. It is not till the revolutionary France that serving in the army was a duty as the result of the consideration that the defence of the Republic was a question of the whole nation (citizens) but it is not till the First World War that the mass draft is imposed all over Europe, in any case the Faulkland War showed the world how a professional, well paid army knows how to do things facing a draft army.
    Every technique/arxòs must be mastered by a technician, not an amateur which is trained for several weeks and thrown into the grill. Of course there are exceptions but few, the problem of a professional army is not the competence of its individuals but the competencence of itself to resolve clean, quick and satisfactory a problem wherever, whenever and whatever it be. You are paid to do a job, and this job faces the very much probability to be killed, hurt or handicapped, something you assume when you sign up to be paid to do your duty.

Bavarian Berkserkr
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 @ 07:03 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Primarily German. Other northern European listed in DNA test results.
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Oklahoma Oklahoma
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retired military and student.
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course it's a duty.

I personally think it should be mandatory that ever male in the US physically able to complete basic training be required to serve for atleast a few years, whether as and enlisted or an officer. For all I've heard on here in the time I've been reading prior to registration I don't understand why more people here aren't of like minds. I've read complaints on the forum about gang activity. It's a known fact gang members have been joining the military to learn squad tactics, so why shouldn't Germanics be encouraged to also join? If for nothing else, we should join to learn the same skill sets for ourselves as a defensive tactic. I've read complaints on how the diversification of the military is ruining it. Well it would only make sense that it would then become our duty as proud Germanics to flood recruiting stations with our presence and join to make ourselves a greater presence, strengthening the military with our work ethic, efficiency, and sense of duty.

People have said that most recruits are only joining for the college money or a job. I can't deny that. That was why I originally enlisted. At first I even resented the Army for not all-around meeting the standards of conduct and efficiency I was brought up to believe it represented. Then I realized that it was never going to get better unless someone did something about it. I may not make the biggest splash in the pond, but if not even one individual were to try, there wouldn't be even a ripple. I've gone off on a tangent, but as far as the benefits go, of course new recruits join for the benefits. Of course some people stay for the benefits also. If the military didn't offer them they wouldn't get recruits cause so many of those that can, and have this idea military service should be for the right reasons, refuse to join and defend the choice with rationalizations. Atleast with they can reel in people with the benefits long enough to possibly change their minds. To make them see the military as an honorable thing. If you want soldiers to serve for the right reasons, and you know what those reasons are and are eligiable to join, do so.

If I came off as spiteful, it wasn't my intention. I see far behind the military service's bs a system. A system that was set up by one our own. The Prussian, Baron Von Steuban. It's made to be something good. If it's gotten muddy over the last 200 years, then it's up to us to clean it off and make it something good and respectable again. We could make it the wonder of the world. We could influence the Army of tomorrow, and with it the nation of tomorrow. We just need to step up to the plate.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 12:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As it is today it is a job. Duty applies only to the comrades in your platoon or company.
    In a just society it is an absolute duty.
    In Germany under NSDAP every german was born as a "Staatsangehörig" and not a full citizen. Only after completion of school followed by military sevice would he be eligable to become a "Staatsbürger". The same principle applied to the old spartan society. Its a good principle!

Last Online
    Thursday, May 10th, 2012 @ 12:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Serving in the military nowadays would be beneficial in certain respects since the state is essentially paying one to learn how to use weapons and various combat and survival skills. To use the US as an example, the down side is that the military is now too heterogenous and the common soldier usually ends up becoming a degenerate, fallen person. Widespread alcoholism, drug use, homosexuality, and increasing suicide rates. I watched a doc some time ago, Restrepo, about soldiers in Afghanistan. They're all whiners and druggies. The one Sergeant was killed in a firefight, and one of the other Sergeants started balling like a baby when there were still Taliban in the area. Talk about pathetic. On top of that, the American soldier that gets wounded or leaves the service is treated like crap. I hate to say it, Canadian soldiers are not much better. There was guy who went to Afghanistan and when he came back beat the sh*t out of his kids; his defense: he had PTSD because he was a rampie, while all of his friends got to go out on combat ops...

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 12:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have PTSD, but I never raise a fist against anyonethat didn't diserve it. PTSD as an excuse for abuse is a second crime!

PTSD sucks bigtime, but it doesn't make you a monster or a thug. If that happens you were one from start, its got nothing to do with your condition.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast