View Poll Results: Do You Believe In God?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 37.93%
  • No

39 44.83%
  • Not Sure

15 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe In God?

Senior Member Imnotwearingsocks's Avatar
    Last Online
    Monday, May 1st, 2006 @ 08:36 PM
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Paladin
    Do You Believe in God?

Yes I do. I think it's the only logical conclusion to the questions of how did we get here and why are we here?

I grew up in Sunday school. But I had many times in my life where I've doubted the existence of God. At least a benevolent one.
    I believe in a God. I was grew up in Sunday school, memorized the golden rule yada yada. But I just hate it when Chauvinist pigs use it as a justification for the oppression of the superior sex.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weg
    So he would be on holiday? He could send news time to time still.

Why does God allow all tragedies happen? Which ones? If God does exist, then he created us like he did for ants before us, and cares as much about us than for any other form life he is the creator, ants included. Man must not be superior to a ant to him. So why should he bother if a anthill is crushed or a human civilization wiped out?
    Have you heard of the incarnation? You French claim to be Catholics yet are ignorant of the basics.

God allows tragedies to happen because that is the consequence of Free Will in humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydderch
    The fact that some people, in our scientific age, don't accept the existence of even a "Supreme Intelligent Being" testifies to the amazing capacity man has for denying something he doesn't want to believe
    Precisely...it is man's Pride that keeps him from recognizing the things that are above him.

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 @ 01:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Paladin
    Have you heard of the incarnation? You French claim to be Catholics yet are ignorant of the basics.
    So I didn't pass my test? Snif...

I had catechism class when I was younger. So I suppose I did.

We claim to be Catholics? Hmm, I doubt a majority of present French claim that. As for me, I'm more of a "Catholic" by tradition than anything else. I don't go to chuch (not even to find a woman ) and don't believe the Bible is THE Truth.

Ignorant of the basics? So what about you? A true Christian is not supposed to lala before mariage. Tsk tsk.

God allows tragedies to happen because that is the consequence of Free Will in humanity.
    Bah. Have you ever think about the possibility he allows tragedies happen for he actually doesn't exist?

Or

What if God really exists? Who can affirm he is interested in us? If he is, he should inform his followers of his disapprobation concerning the current situation.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

« -Oh my God, but you're a neo-nazi?!...
    -But why neo? »

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weg
    So I didn't pass my test? Snif...

I had catechism class when I was younger. So I suppose I did.

We claim to be Catholics? Hmm, I doubt a majority of present French claim that. As for me, I'm more of a "Catholic" by tradition than anything else. I don't go to chuch (not even to find a woman ) and don't believe the Bible is THE Truth.

Ignorant of the basics? So what about you? A true Christian is not supposed to lala before mariage. Tsk tsk.

Bah. Have you ever think about the possibility he allows tragedies happen for he actually doesn't exist?

Or

What if God really exists? Who can affirm he is interested in us? If he is, he should inform his followers of his disapprobation concerning the current situation.
    The Bible tells us God is interested in us. But at the same time he doesn't force us to do things his way.

I will marry when I find the right girl. Until than I must look under every rock and crevace.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 28th, 2011 @ 06:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish (basically)
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gaian Meroveus
    ...or convincing himself of something he wants to believe?
    So you think science proves that there is no God, or even "Supreme Being"? The irreducable complexity needed to form the universe is simply far beyond the rules of probability. Random chance is not constructive, the universe clearly has a very complex structure, and therefore there has to have been a constructor behind it.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 21st, 2006 @ 08:03 PM
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you think science proves that there is no God, or even "Supreme Being"? The irreducable complexity needed to form the universe is simply far beyond the rules of probability.

"Irreducible complexity" is not science- it's a logical fallacy, an argument from ignorance. Besides, science says nothing about "god" because there's really nothing to say.

Science suggests that a Supreme Being was not necessary for man to evolve or the planets to form. This does not mean that a Supreme Being doesn't exist, merely that he/she/it was probably irrelevant in creating the most important aspects of the world around us. Science renders “god” useless, which is even worse than saying it doesn’t exist.

In repose
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, February 10th, 2007 @ 08:47 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Other Other
    Single
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Comrades,

There exists as much empirical evidence that this spaghetti creature created the universe as there is proof of the existance of some Anthropomorphic father creator being.
    We are created in Gods image? Why would this God need a nose or an elbow?

Best wishes,
    _GM.

Spirit of the Reich
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Volksdeutscher
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Y-DNA
    I-M170
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Gemini
    Family
    Polyamory
    Occupation
    Herbalist
    Politics
    Ecological Geniocracy
    Religion
    Vedic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gaian Meroveus
    The fact that anyone in a modern industrial society can genuinely believe in an: invisible, non-communicative, magical anthropomorphic father creator being can only be attributed to acculturation. i.e. People believe in God because they have been hearing about God since they left the womb. They are brainwashed. Our remote ancestors invented Gods and spirits to explain natural phenomenon and the events in their daily lives for which they could conceive of no rational explanation. For a modern, even semi- educated individual to truly believe in these irrational and scientifically insupportable beliefs is beyond me.
    Agreed.

However, most god-believers are not systematically irrational or intellectually lazy. The fact that huge numbers of educated individuals in the US are still fanatical Christians shows that everybody doesn’t have the same use of the concept. Modern, educated god-believers gather in fact under the “god(s)” umbrella the full spectrum of the highest concepts and values their mind can grasp, whereas others just see the ridiculous aspects of religion. The Bible or other religious references are then used as a support to illustrate each and every concept god-believers need to apprehend. Therefore their religious views are not “false”, they are just the expression of the highest thoughts and values of this person, under a religious makeup that this person needs to organize his thoughts. Most people also aren’t able to stand for their own ideas and feelings against the majority, thus the religious interpretations are for them an easier way. Plus, it gives them a warm feeling of “being right” and the one of belonging to the community. That’s probably why the Christian profile type matches usually the “patriot” type in the States.

It’s not “believers against non-believers”, it’s just two different ways to express one’s intelligence and understanding of the world.

But in the end, those able to understand the world and its functioning themselves, living according to their own morality and manage complexity without the help of illustrations belong to a higher spiritual standard.

My main criticism towards Christianity is it’s total lack of style. If you need concepts to understand life, rather help yourself with the ancient indo-germanic myths and legends, they serve the same purpose in a more elegant way.

The intelligent Aristotle was no Christian, but he could see that only monotheism made logical sense, including as an explanation for the existence of the universe.
    Jesus went further, trying to explain that "god" was in ourselves, which makes even more sense. Many non-Christians understand that either, while many Christians still don’t understand it. We don't need any explanation for the existence of the Universe, or more exactly we're pursuing unlimited knowledge through science. The myth of Prometheus speaks more to me than the tribulations of a bunch of Jews in their desert.

After all, what don’t we understand that we couldn’t understand with further work on our environment and on ourselves? Man is facing the infinitely small (our own brain, nanotech) and the infinitely huge (space); he will also redesign his social structures for more efficiency etc.

In repose
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, February 10th, 2007 @ 08:47 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Other Other
    Single
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Comrades,

I have no problem respecting an individuals right to practice their faith so long as they, conversely, recognise that their right to practice their faith ends where my right not to, begins.

Best wishes,
    _GM.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 28th, 2011 @ 06:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish (basically)
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thumelicus
    "Irreducible complexity" is not science- it's a logical fallacy, an argument from ignorance.
    Can you honestly tell me these are your own unplagiarised words? And do you really understand the concept?

The concept itself undoubtably exists, regardless of the origin of the particular term I used. Irreducible complexity is found in all sorts of technology and man-made devices. Take a car engine for example; if any one of a number of major components is taken out, the whole thing would cease to function. Anyone knows that the components of a car engine have specific functions which are interrelated with eachother, and every one is constructively designed to work together with the other components.

And I don't think you'll find many people who would suggest that something like a car engine could be produced by random chance; yet many of the smallest organisms are infinitely more complex (and irreducably) than a car engine. This means that every component must have existed from the start, which means that, without constructive input, an amazing coincidence is required, and the chance of this happening is so phenomenally low as to be impossible in practical terms. And then you have similar "coincidences" repeated innumerable times throughout the universe.

If you saw someone toss a coin a thousand times, and it landed on the same side every time, would you assume that this was coincidence? Such an occurance is beyond the rules of probability, and I'm sure everyone would know something was happening which insured the chance was not 50/50.

Do some more googling and see if you can find an opponent of the idea who can fully explain the concept, and who can refute it using proper evidence, as opposed to using bald assertions like "unscientific", "religious" "not accepted by mainstream science" etc.

Besides, science says nothing about "god" because there's really nothing to say.

Science suggests that a Supreme Being was not necessary for man to evolve or the planets to form. This does not mean that a Supreme Being doesn't exist, merely that he/she/it was probably irrelevant in creating the most important aspects of the world around us. Science renders “god” useless, which is even worse than saying it doesn’t exist.
    As I said, "science" and indeed mathematics, shows that the rules of probability are not capable of constructing with functions which are interrelated in an irreducably complex way.

In short, if it weren't for the fact that I believe in the God of the Bible, who says that man in his blinded sinful state has an innate aversion to God and his righteous ways, I'd be totally at a loss to explain why some (even educated and intelligent) people deny the obvious scientific fact that the universe has been formed with intelligent input.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast