Thread: Need advice regarding studies...

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 05:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts

Need advice regarding studies...

OK, I'm really caught up in a web here...

Well, I've been thinking and thinking about my studies, and see that with my law course, I am putting everything off till the last moment, since there are always things that I deem more important at the minute - as despite my genuine interest in the subject area, it seems as though the path of a lawyer is maybe not the best for me.

So I'm really tempted to pick up something that has to with Folklore - that way I can make my prime interest a main part of my life; and I would probably find it easier to do assignments.

Of course the issue being that all the Unis like offer (besides the rare Celtic studies, which atleast deserves some respect) Hispanic studies, Oriental studies, whatnotall, just not things to do with their indigenous culture... but besides that, there's got to be a place to find where you can study something along the lines of "Germanic studies" :p

Sounds a bit stupid, but I'm out for some advice whether I should forsake my law studies for some germanic cultural studies thing; as, being only 17, maybe it is naive of me to think that I could make my obvious "fascination" with everything of the cultural ideas behind our folk a life.

Thoughts, anyone?
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Sunday, January 4th, 2009 @ 05:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Hedmark Hedmark
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Occupation
    I'm a parasite, I sell stuff.
    Politics
    Man marks the Earth with ruin.
    Religion
    Nature shall prevail!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Even though it is interesting, could you make it a living?
    But I understand you entirely;
    Next year I am going to study(If the school would admit me into their studies, that is) about nature, farming, horses, wildlife, mountain... Everything about nature. I don't know how to say the course in english, but hopefully you understand me.
    I am not disciplined enough for hard study, and reading books I usually wouldn't read at all. I am close to become a drop-out, and if I won't get in the schools I want to get in, I would start working in my uncle's painting company.
    That means I will have a long and hard life IMO.
    But you are more disciplined than I am, and all I have to say:
    Do what you feel is right, but also think of the future, and what you would earn most money from.

I hope you choose wisely, my friend!

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Need advice.....

Sigurd, I may be able to give you some advice of value to you. I am a retired university professor who realized too late that he had gone into the wrong field and had to make the best of it that he could. The decision which you now make in choosing a career, while not wholly irreversible or irrevocable, is of MOMENTOUS importance...... I have had too many students who majored in "Undecided", floundering about for as much as three years still uncertain of what they intended to do. In so doing, they may or may not have succeeded in acquiring a broad cultural background, which is desirable. but also wasted much precious time, becoming "jacks of all trades and masters of none.".....It is difficult, but not impossible, to "eat your cake and have it, too" That is, to study what most interests you and , at the same time, prepare oneself for a lucrative profession..... Academic positions in Archæology, Anthropology, Ethnography, Linguistics, Folklore, etc. are few and, in the USA, anyhow, ill-paid. So, can you make a living in your areas of greatest interest ? Maybe, but probably not a good one. Law, on the other hand, is, I am tempted to say "notoriously", lucrative. You may be able to pursue a double major, in your area of interest and in pre-law studies. It would obviously be better if your profession could be your area of greatest interest. Many are not so lucky. I have a friend who majored in geology.....and became a computer systems analyst. Another majored in music history , became a real estate appraiser, retired from that, and went into optical fabrication (a boyhood interest of his). Note that neither made a career of his undergraduate major.....Consider carefully, do you REALLY want to be a lawyer ? Pursuing a career that you don't enjoy, like my friend the real estate appraiser, even if you're really good at it, is basically unsatisying.
    If you really think that you could enjoy practising law and would get satisfaction from it, GO FOR IT. You can probably fit some courses in other areas of interest to you, though maybe not enough for a second major, into your undergraduate major as electives...... If you find that law is NOT your dish of tea, DON'T waste your life on it. Be sure that you can derive satisfaction form practising it. If not, seek another career. That it is merely lucrative is NOT a good reason to devote your life to a career which you may come to hate.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Need advice.....

Gagnraad, Your posts reveal you to be a very intelligent young man. It would be a shame if you were to waste your life on an occupation which afforded you no intellectual satisfaction. Unfortunately, no one else can help you with self-disciplione. That is up to YOU. I can give you some hints, which my students have found useful, on how to take notes and how to study. But, after that, you just have to buckle down and DO IT ! I doubt that there is or ever has been any student who didn't put off studying for an exam until the night before or writing a report until the early morning of the day it was due. God knows I did. We all have. That said, it's NOT a good idea. You need to keep up with your instructor , studying immediately or as soon as possible after class while the material is still fresh in your mind. Too often, notes not looked at again until just before the exam, by then make no sense. I know where you're coming from, Gagnraad. I could always find something more interesting to do than study, even though I might be very interested in the subject. But, you can't afford to let yourself procrastinate until you run out of time. Last-minute "cramming" just doesn't work. I shouldn't say that. It works if all you want to do is get by, but not if you want to master the subject. If you'd like me to send you hints on how to take notes and how to study, just let me know. (It's no "royal road to learning", though, it's still HARD WORK.)

Last Online
    Sunday, July 30th, 2006 @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    for a short, to the point advice; don't study what interests you, study something you can improve your basic skills with to perfection. studying what interests you may seem nice at first, but be practical in what you choose.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 05:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll try to build on it.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)