Thread: German Community from Sibiu (Hermannstadt)

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 28th, 2007 @ 05:02 AM
    Subrace
    Pontid+Alpinid
    Country
    Romania Romania
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    What are politics?
    Religion
    Christian-Orthodox
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

German Community from Sibiu (Hermannstadt)

A nice article plus radio recording about whats left of the German community from Sibiu (Hermannstadt).

http://www.polskieradio.pl/polonia/a...?tId=35679&j=2

http://www.polskieradio.pl/_admin/cm...%20germans.mp3

Last Online
    Thursday, November 16th, 2006 @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: German community from Sibiu (Hermannstadt)

Szervus!
    Do you know the situation in Hermannstadt or other cities in Siebenbürgen? do the Saszy/Schwaben still have their own villages/schools? are they "Romanized", or keeping their German heritage alive?
    I met a few Ethnic Magyars (not from the Sekelyfold) that talk more Romanian than Magyar. I didn't see any Germans exept for one old man in Hermannstadt and a woman in Klausenburg (Kolozsvár/Cluj) who was just visiting...

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Putzfleck View Post
    Szervus!
    Do you know the situation in Hermannstadt or other cities in Siebenbürgen? do the Saszy/Schwaben still have their own villages/schools? are they "Romanized", or keeping their German heritage alive?
    I met a few Ethnic Magyars (not from the Sekelyfold) that talk more Romanian than Magyar. I didn't see any Germans exept for one old man in Hermannstadt and a woman in Klausenburg (Kolozsvár/Cluj) who was just visiting...
    Hmm, the answer comes a little bit late, but as it says, better later than never.

I'm from Hermannstadt and there are few ethnic Germans left here, least of all youth like me. But the German heritage is struggled to remain alive. We are taught both languages, Romanian and German. And some phrases in Magyar. As you can see from my avatar, we've German language on street tags and signs, and we've a German mayor and a party which represents us, about which I've given informations before.

But the ethnic Magyars who speak Romanian, it's a little strange to my ears. Because as I've known Magyars so far, they hold very dearly to their language. They will refuse to speak Romanian even though they can, unless they're forced, because there is a conflict between the two ethnicities, far bigger than between Germans and Romanians. If you go to some counties in Romania like Harghita, in some places they address everyone in Hungarian, it doesn't matter the nationality. When I was a child, my family and I went on a vacation to the mountains in Harghita, near Szeklerburg. Sometime we went down to Szeklerburg to buy things because we stayed in a chalet and we needed provisions. In the shops in Szeklerburg, the shop assistants addressed us in Hungarian when we entered.

Last Online
    Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 @ 06:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Project management consultant
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post

But the ethnic Magyars who speak Romanian, it's a little strange to my ears. Because as I've known Magyars so far, they hold very dearly to their language. They will refuse to speak Romanian even though they can, unless they're forced, because there is a conflict between the two ethnicities, far bigger than between Germans and Romanians. If you go to some counties in Romania like Harghita, in some places they address everyone in Hungarian, it doesn't matter the nationality. When I was a child, my family and I went on a vacation to the mountains in Harghita, near Szeklerburg. Sometime we went down to Szeklerburg to buy things because we stayed in a chalet and we needed provisions. In the shops in Szeklerburg, the shop assistants addressed us in Hungarian when we entered.

Ach, so you've been here? Jep, that's true about my little hometown. There are more szeklers here than in most parts of Transylvania, however they seem to respect and like ethnic germans more than romanians which shows validity to what you've said already, that they are indeed not fond of each other. As a result of this I learned hungarian earlier than romanian but I have to use both wherever I go here in Transylvania. However, it's quite rare to hear szeklers (hungarians) to speak romanian, so what Putzfleck wrote is strange indeed.
    As for us, its a bit different than in Hermannstadt because the number of ethnic german families here in Szeklerburg is less than 10, a reason which made me to consider seriously about leaving. I also thought for a while about moving to Hermannstadt, but I guess the situation would be no different on a long term period, so leaving the country seems to be the best option.
    :Überschöpfung:

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Geto-Dacian (Dacia/Hyperborea) & German (Großes Germanien)
    Subrace
    Pontid/Baltid/Dinarid
    Single adult
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrodnand View Post
    As for us, its a bit different than in Hermannstadt because the number of ethnic german families here in Szeklerburg is less than 10, a reason which made me to consider seriously about leaving. I also thought for a while about moving to Hermannstadt, but I guess the situation would be no different on a long term period, so leaving the country seems to be the best option.
    To be honest, before hearing from you, I didn't know there are still Germans left in Szeklerburg. I knew there still are Germans in Hermannstadt and Kronstadt. But well, I've been living for almost one year in Kronstadt, and I didn't meet any German! As for Hermannstadt, the things are different. I have a funny memory from there, as I and a friend entered a cathedral (just being curious), and a woman, who seemed to be Romanian, after looking at us for a while, came to us and addresed us in German.
    I think leaving could be a good option, even if I feel sorry about that. Bukowina was also inhabited by many Germans, but almost all of them left, and now only remained the architecture of the buildings, the traces in the graveyards, and also some people of mixed descendance. I consider about leaving the country, too. Too bad I don't speak German (only very little), but I manage to improve that.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForestSpirit View Post
    To be honest, before hearing from you, I didn't know there are still Germans left in Szeklerburg. I knew there still are Germans in Hermannstadt and Kronstadt. But well, I've been living for almost one year in Kronstadt, and I didn't meet any German!
    Most of them moved here after the end of the II World War but they are still not in any case genuinely Szeklerburger in comparison with the Szeklers who inhabited the town since the 14-15th century. 6 ethnic german families moved here from Kronstadt and other 2 from Neumarkt am Mieresch.
    Alas, we are but scattered remains here.
    Regarding Kronstadt the situation is far worse than in Hermannstadt, there are hardly any ethnic germans to be found - as you've said it yourself, only the buildings left.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Ach, so you've been here? Jep, that's true about my little hometown. There are more szeklers here than in most parts of Transylvania, however they seem to respect and like ethnic germans more than romanians which shows validity to what you've said already, that they are indeed not fond of each other. As a result of this I learned hungarian earlier than romanian but I have to use both wherever I go here in Transylvania. However, it's quite rare to hear szeklers (hungarians) to speak romanian, so what Putzfleck wrote is strange indeed.
    Yes, I was there as I've said for a vacation as child. But I didn't get to enjoy the atmosphere so much because it was rainy and foggy weather. The mountains were a beautiful view nonetheless and the air was fresh. I've to agree, in long term it won't matter, because most young Germans leave the country altogether and I'm not seeing a repopulation happening any soon.

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Most of them moved here after the end of the II World War but they are still not in any case genuinely Szeklerburger in comparison with the Szeklers who inhabited the town since the 14-15th century. 6 ethnic german families moved here from Kronstadt and other 2 from Neumarkt am Mieresch.
    Alas, we are but scattered remains here.
    Regarding Kronstadt the situation is far worse than in Hermannstadt, there are hardly any ethnic germans to be found - as you've said it yourself, only the buildings left.
    How's the situation in the region of Bistrita/Bistritz/Nösnerland?

I know most were evacuated before the end of the war, not too much came back and most of the rest went away after WW2, but is there still a significant German population left in the North? Anywhere in the North?
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    In the Bistritz/Bistriţa-Năsăud county there are few German minorities left, 0.29 % Germans compared to 3.78 % in the Hermannstadt/Sibiu county. The biggest Northern county with a strong German minority is Sathmar/Satu Mare with 3.58 %. Here there are Sathmar Swabians. Next would come some counties from the Banat, Temes/Timiş with 3.82 % and Karash-Severin/Caraş-Severin with 3.17 % (in these mostly Banat Swabian minority). In Transylvania after Hermannstadt the biggest German minority is in Kronstadt/Braşov with 1.56 %.

Here the source for the percentages, note it's some years old:
    http://www.iie.org/flinnscholar/romminor.htm

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    How's the situation in the region of Bistrita/Bistritz/Nösnerland?

I know most were evacuated before the end of the war, not too much came back and most of the rest went away after WW2, but is there still a significant German population left in the North? Anywhere in the North?

As Siebenbürgerin mentioned the only greatest group existing in the North are the Sathmarschwaben. I have several friends from that community but they seem to lack interest in keeping their heritage and I've also met a few of them who considered themselves as Magyars already.
    What's clear is that their cultural identity did suffer mostly in the Magyarisierung or Magyarization process which affected the North-Western German communities quite a lot and left its mark on them.