View Poll Results: Whats your personality after the test? http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/sheldontest.html

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Viscerotonia

6 6.06%
  • Somatotonia

13 13.13%
  • Cerebrotonia

40 40.40%
  • Viscerotonia-Somatotonia

10 10.10%
  • Viscerotonia-Cerebrotonia

3 3.03%
  • Somatotonia-Cerebrotonia

27 27.27%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Kretschmer and Sheldon: Test Your Personality (Viscerotonia, Somatotonia, Cerebrotonia)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Arrow Re: Kretschmer and Sheldon 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    I have an odd question, and it is not somethign I have ever looked at stats on before..... do you really think that skinny women diet more than heavy women? I haven't ever looked at it from a scientific standpoint, but from my personal experiences heavier women tend to diet more in the way that I'd attribute to swinging blood sugar levels and such. Most thin people I have known in life are the type who eat whatever they want (and eat like a horse) and don't gain an ounce. I think this is one reason they tend to be insensitive to larger women who gain weight just by thinking of food. Larger women I have known tend to be "bulimic" type of dieters (characteristic of bullemia, but not true bulimics). They will go on a strict diet, but then suddenly binge and blow it all in one day. It becomes a cycle. They are not quite as extreme as a true bullemic (and usually don't resort to vomitting or laxatives. Instead they use starving or excessive exercise). Bulimia is often overlooked because bulimics usually maintain a healthy weight, or even are overweight. They don't get excessively thin like anorexics do.
    Hmmm... I can't remember where I read it now... I've read it in various sources I think.... ectomorphic females are more prone to eating disorders, yes. (In particular Anorexia) From what I can gather, ectomorphs tend to be more likely to be nervy, anxious, control freaks, (this is hormonally determined) and it is these types that are more likely to resort to controlling their intake of food religiously, using it as a method of retaining control in their lives. And due to being really anal (LOL) they will be more successful in "acheiving" their goals of complete control. They are more likely to resort to dulling or denying their anxiety in this manner. (And because they tend to have high anxiety levels, they often feel compelled to take drastic measures, I guess! )

But even eating disorders aside,
    but from my personal experiences heavier women tend to diet more in the way that I'd attribute to swinging blood sugar levels and such. Most thin people I have known in life are the type who eat whatever they want (and eat like a horse) and don't gain an ounce.
    The thin women you know are probably very good at lying about being able to eat whatever they like and stay thin. Anorexics in particular are fantastic liars in this regard. Their whole lives revolve around convincing everyone (often including themselves) that they're naturally thin. Believe me on this one.

In my opinion, both larger and thinner women can be chronic dieters, the difference between larger women who diet all the time and thinner women who diet all the time, is that one group is "unsuccessful", and the other group is "successful. One group will stop at nothing to ensure they succeed, the other is more relaxed, or not as self-disciplined/controlled. But both groups will most likely hate themselves. But the thing with dieting is that if you have lost weight successfully by dieting, rather than changing lifestyle to one more conducive to retaining a healthy body-weight, then you have to keep dieting in order to stay thin. So thin women still diet too, to maintain their weight.

Of course, some women are more prone to having higher levels of fat than others.... but I would say that the majority of really thin women you see that seem to eat so much in front of others.... don't do the same when they're alone.

I'm not saying that it is natural for women to be over-weight or to struggle with weight gain.... but in developed nations this is obviously going to often be the case because of our relatively inactive, self-indulgent lifestyles.

You're right though, there are certainly a lot of grumpy weightier women out there too that are bad tempered simply because of fluctuating blood sugar levels. Their oestrogen levels would be higher though (assuming they're not really obese), and this would work in their favour.

Edited to add:
    I think this is one reason they tend to be insensitive to larger women who gain weight just by thinking of food.
    I reckon the reason that thin women will quite often look down on women who are larger is because they have issues themselves with food and weight that they struggle with... so the fatter women represent all that they detest, all that they are trying to avoid, iykwim?

Those with eating disorders will be the harshest critics. My sister, who still struggles with both Ana and Mia was so disgusted by my body when I was heavily pregnant that she told me that she couldn't even bare to look at me (and if she ever did, believe me, it was with a look of disgust on her face). And I didn't even gain a lot of fat during pgcy... it was the appearance of my big tummy that caused her to feel such revulsion! lol

But I've just had a thought.... maybe you meant that thinner women don't seem to understand what a struggle weight loss can be? Are you talking about the women who say... "come on have another do-nut! What's your problem?" My take on these bitches is that they're bragging... being competitive... they may as well just get it over with and say, "well I can eat whatever I like and never gain a bit of fat... so I am superior to you!"

Come on Jennifer, you know that this is what women are like! LOL

Anyway that's my 2c worth!
    Last edited by Bridie; Thursday, May 4th, 2006 at 07:19 PM.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 19th, 2019 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Sv: Kretschmer and Sheldon 2

You have scored 7 for 2 different types, but you can only be one (I got the same thing). Sometimes types can "look like" or be confused for other types... eg, #1's and #5's (I think those were the ones you scored highest in?) are both knowledgeable, have controlled energy, physical tension, perfectionist tendancies and are emotionally very private.
    Yes, i scored 7 for both, the thing is though that when i've read more closely about the two types i can't decide for which one to choose because there are quite a few fundamental parts of me that are split up in these both types, or perhaps they are more or less present in both types both that they are more "pure" in one of them, as you mentioned they had alot of charachteristics that are alike.

According to this book that I've got on the Enneagram, if you're not sure which type you are you can ask yourself these 2 qu's to try to sort it out....
    * Are you more likely to be irritated than frightened if someone shouts at you? - If yes, then you're type 1 (reformer)
    This i can say yes to right away, i very much dislike (hate would not be a too strong word) to be shouted at and pretty much right away assume a very irritated state of mind.

* Do you nearly always need time alone to consider you opinion? - If yes, then you are a type 5 (invetigator)
    Hm would be nice with an example for this one, since i've made up my mind about most things already. EDIT: I think i've answered the question already .

And regarding your second post, thanks for posting that view on the issue, it was something that i didn't consider since i have little knowledge on how females function .

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Arrow Re: Kretschmer and Sheldon 2

Citat:
    * Do you nearly always need time alone to consider you opinion? - If yes, then you are a type 5 (invetigator)
    Hm would be nice with an example for this one, since i've made up my mind about most things already.
    Okay.... ummmm.... do you function more efficiently when thinking about something more intellectually chanllenging when alone? Or could you quite easily be in deep thought surrounded by others?

This could help too:

Reformers when secure (too little stress) will take on characteristics of #7's. When under too much stress they will take on characteristics of #4's.

Investigators when secure will take on characteristics of #8's, and when stressed will become more like #7's.

So maybe you could read up on these other types and see which you are more like under stress and security?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Sv: Re: Kretschmer and Sheldon 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie
    Okay.... ummmm.... do you function more efficiently when thinking about something more intellectually chanllenging when alone? Or could you quite easily be in deep thought surrounded by others?
    This could help too:
    Reformers when secure (too little stress) will take on characteristics of #7's. When under too much stress they will take on characteristics of #4's.
    Investigators when secure will take on characteristics of #8's, and when stressed will become more like #7's.
    So maybe you could read up on these other types and see which you are more like under stress and security?
    Well i'm not sure if any tasks that i perform in school (which is the only time i'm surrounded by people while performing tasks) would be classified as being intellectually challenging , i would say though that i don't have any problems with thinking and debating while in class, however i very much prefer solitude when i'm supposed to write a longer school project or something or think about stuff, i like taking solitary strolls outside and process my thoughts and ideas.

If you can make anything out of this i have no idea though. I'll be sure to read up on the types asap.

Well i can see now that i missread thinking as tasks, gah, i ought to read more closely before i answer.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Re: Sv: Re: Kretschmer and Sheldon 2

i would say though that i don't have any problems with thinking and debating while in class,
    If you enjoy debating, I doubt that you are an investigator (#5).

Here's something else....

Inner Concerns and Childhood scenarios....

#1 - One's became aware in infancy that they were not considered perfect, and their attention focused on becoming worthy of love. They report having felt themselves continually under a critical gaze, never acknowledged for doing anything good, but told to do better. They may have had overtly angry or critical parents.

They learned to see emotions as dangerous. They learned to see themselves as bad, and that even pleasant emotions could trigger an impulsive and incorrect action. The more they were suppressed, the worse their emotions seemed to be, and therefore the more reason there was to suppress them.

#5 - Fives learnt that it was possible to be safe in an intrusive world, where their very survival felt threatened, by withdrawing into their minds and becoming self-sufficient. They minimised hurt by distancing themselves from sensations and emotions and, unable to secape physically, they could become untouchable by being a spectator of events in their own lives.

As children they may have had intrusive, domineering, violent or smothering parents.

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 10:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

AW: Kretschmer and Sheldon 2

Bridie, you are right about schizothymic women being more "controlled" in their lifestyle usually, but like you said yourself, they are more leptomorphic, even ectomorphic too, which means they have in early age usually never problems with weight and in later life only if they have problems with their physical or psychic health and live in very extreme conditions. The typical-extreme ectomorphics/Asthenics can't get fat under normal circumstances, they might get a small belly or broader thighs, so a rather unfavourable body shape because of bad habits, but never corpulent.

The normal leptomorphics can gain more weight, can get under very extreme conditions even thick if they have no serious health problems. But that would mean mast - really. And once they eat normal and train-move more again, they would lose much easier than Pyknic women.

Whats typical is that energetic schizothymics, which means rather leptomorphic and mesomorphics have a stronger affinity towards sports and moving a lot physically. So the typical picture is that of leptomorphic people running "though the dont need it as much" for their figure, whereas the Pyknics do it, if, much more often for their body shape alone, not for the "feeling of it" or activity as such. There are rather calm, less energetic, more introverted-spiritual schizothymic individuals which have rather occasionally the need to "feel their body", usually they are not thicker especially in young age, the shape of the figure might be less favourable as such though.

Thats typical, the one which live "undisciplined" get fat, even rather early in life (teens to early twenties), the others just lose somewhat of their shape if they had it at some point of life anyway. Pyknics can at best stay normal soft-full, they never reach a slim-tight "naturally", only if they live very extreme, very sporty, fanatic diet etc. and even then it looks different from normal leptomorphics.

Compare:
    http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=8778

Leptosomic and Pyknic women:

The morphed average:

I could post images of children too, its a clear case, even with 3 years of age the tendency is visible, with about 7 years things are clear and only drastic, rather pathological changes can change the basic form - at least in younger age.
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Sv: Re: Sv: Re: Kretschmer and Sheldon 2

If you enjoy debating, I doubt that you are an investigator (#5).

Here's something else....

Inner Concerns and Childhood scenarios....

#1 - One's became aware in infancy that they were not considered perfect, and their attention focused on becoming worthy of love. They report having felt themselves continually under a critical gaze, never acknowledged for doing anything good, but told to do better. They may have had overtly angry or critical parents.

They learned to see emotions as dangerous. They learned to see themselves as bad, and that even pleasant emotions could trigger an impulsive and incorrect action. The more they were suppressed, the worse their emotions seemed to be, and therefore the more reason there was to suppress them.

#5 - Fives learnt that it was possible to be safe in an intrusive world, where their very survival felt threatened, by withdrawing into their minds and becoming self-sufficient. They minimised hurt by distancing themselves from sensations and emotions and, unable to secape physically, they could become untouchable by being a spectator of events in their own lives.

As children they may have had intrusive, domineering, violent or smothering parents.
    Well this is weird since i had a very happy childhood with supporting parents, both mum and dad, at least that's what i can remember of it. What should also be said is that i as a child was an extremely positive person, i loved to goof around and tell stories and jokes, rather extrovert so to speak. However enjoyed spending time alone playing and had very few friends but one that i had became a very close friend of mine. What do you make out of this?

Renewed
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Country
    United States United States
    Jaded
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Re: Kretschmer and Sheldon 2

Hmmm... I can't remember where I read it now... I've read it in various sources I think.... ectomorphic females are more prone to eating disorders, yes. (In particular Anorexia) From what I can gather, ectomorphs tend to be more likely to be nervy, anxious, control freaks, (this is hormonally determined) and it is these types that are more likely to resort to controlling their intake of food religiously, using it as a method of retaining control in their lives. And due to being really anal (LOL) they will be more successful in "acheiving" their goals of complete control. They are more likely to resort to dulling or denying their anxiety in this manner. (And because they tend to have high anxiety levels, they often feel compelled to take drastic measures, I guess! )
    Well, in my post I wasn't specifically referring to eating disorders, but rather to dieting in general. "Do thinner or heavier women have a tendency towards chronic dieting" would be the question. I am inclined to think heavier women would be, although I haven't read nor studied anything scietific on the matter.

But even eating disorders aside,

The thin women you know are probably very good at lying about being able to eat whatever they like and stay thin. Anorexics in particular are fantastic liars in this regard. Their whole lives revolve around convincing everyone (often including themselves) that they're naturally thin. Believe me on this one.
    I still disagree on this one. I am talking about men as well, not just women. My brother, my mother, many friends I have had all fall into the thin-eat a lot- don't gain wieght category. I understand what you said (that I didn't quote) about them eating more in public, but private being differently. The people I have known (worked with, went to school with, etc.) even if they did not eat even one thing more than what I saw them eating in the 6-8 hours a day I spent with them, they still will have eaten more in that period than I would eat in an entire day. There are quite a bit of people I know/have known who can eat like a horse and not gain a pound. My brother is 110lbs. soaking wet and he eats. In fact, he is the opposite of what you suggest. He will turn down food in public or pretend that he is not hungry in order to be polite. In reality he is a snackaholic eating soda, chips, pizza, any sort of fastfood/junk.
    "I do not know what horrified me most at that time: the economic misery of my companions, their moral and ethical coarseness, or the low level of their intellectual development." Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

Renewed
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Country
    United States United States
    Jaded
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Re: AW: Kretschmer and Sheldon 2

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa
    I could post images of children too, its a clear case, even with 3 years of age the tendency is visible, with about 7 years things are clear and only drastic, rather pathological changes can change the basic form - at least in younger age.
    Can you expound on this furthur? I do not disagree with you that even in children there can be seen a difference. I see it all the time. I can even tell a difference in how children who are the same weight/height but looking at things such as their bones, the shape of their legs, etc. how they will later develop apart/differently in adulthood. (I don't know if that last sentence accurately conveys what I am trying to express.)

I am just curious how you determine this, Agrippa, based upon your knowledge of Kretschmer, because I was reading something not too long ago something about Sheldon's Pyknic practical joke where an individual appears through childhood to be one thing, but then suddenly as an adult they put on wieght and becomes something different.
    "I do not know what horrified me most at that time: the economic misery of my companions, their moral and ethical coarseness, or the low level of their intellectual development." Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 10:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

AW: Kretschmer and Sheldon 2

A common problem is if people think too much about food in general and eat just low quality food too. I think too that more overweight people think about eating too much and make unsuccessful diets. A natural approach and exposure to eating is not thinking about it too much, eating high quality food and only as much as your body has enough, you are full. Usually people with constant weight problems or psychic disorders which led to a too strong concentration on that issue are no longer able to do that, thats a vicious circle. Not to mention that high quality food is more expensive and oftentimes - if you still want to have it tasting good - more costly and time intensive if its about the preparation.

I knew a lot of rather corpulent or at least soft build girls which tried various diets and a number of leptomorphic ones which never really thought about eating too much at all, they just ate normal and were usually physically active to a certain degree and the disposition was obvious.
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!