Völkisch Green
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thor and Fertility

This is something I posted in a blog of mine a few days ago. I thought id post it here and get everyone elses opinions on the subject.

This is an idea i've had floating around in my head for the last month or so. The idea that in ancient times Thor was not just a member of the aesir but also a member of the vanir and quite possibly looked upon more as a fertility god than a warrior god, perhaps a "neutral" god within the two extremes. Those two "extremes" being that it is most commonly known that the aesir = war and battle based while the vanir = more fertility and earth based. While my thoughts might disrupt some heathens ideas and perceptions of the thunderer and might lead some to think I am a "fluff bunny" or "new ager", nothing can be further from the truth and it is quite an interesting topic when you take the time to think about it.

The origins and basis of my ideas are quite evident when you take a look at the father of magni past the edda's into recorded history of our germanic heathen ancestors. Of course in the lore his lineage is being the son of Odin and Jord (earth itself), being the god of thunder, lightning and the storms, which we all know bring rain to the crops. The history of our folk share other links to him bieng a fertility god, the references of him bieng a patron god to farmers where as Tyr and Odin were the male deitys more followed by and or associated with warriors and the warrior mentality. There is also the subject of his hammer bieng viewed as a fertility symbol used to hallow or "make holy" or "bless" material objects, houses, children, land among other things. It was also custom among many Germanic peoples to place a wooden carved replica of Mjollnir in the brides lap to concecrate a marrige and make the bride fertile or strengthen her fertility for having children.

We all know the poetic and prose edda's (the storys of our ancestral gods) are probably not 110% factual in their christian recorded written form compared to the storys our ancestors shared with each generation through oral tradition. There has been a lot, at least in my opinion that has been twisted in our lore by christian hands along with, im sure numerous storys not recorded. Perhaps there were no "Aesir" and "Vanir" but just one general group of gods and the creation of two opposite groups was later from the imagination by Snorri or other Christian writers? I'm sure there is a lot to prove my ideas false but at the same time there is recorded historical evidence to back them up from the stance that thor could have been a neutral god not fully belonging to one group of dietys over another.

Of course these are just a few things that have been on my mind. Food for thought none the less.
    E-mail: odalist@gmail.com
    AOL IM: Blood Und Soil

a.k.a. Slå ring om Norge
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    State
    Arkansas Arkansas
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Re: Thor and Fertility

OK. lets check.

A S T O R = R O T A S

Rotas is the wheel, which is all, also the galaxy.
    The same principe is valid with Jupiter, Zevs and Brahman
    All these gods of thunder and of wheels, and all " god for all". They are also equipped with hammer/thunderbolt. Same business.

Fertility in nature is close related to rain and thunder. Thunder, compared to the primary thunder, Big Bang, which one can say has been fruitful.

At the hof in Uppsala, the statue of Thor was placed in the middle, flanked by Odin and Frey, respectively the leaders of Æsis and Vanir...

Anyone need more?

This answer is so good, short, informative and concise, if you understand the value of it, I want your RP for this. Thank you

a.k.a. Slå ring om Norge
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    State
    Arkansas Arkansas
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Re: Thor and Fertility

On the physical size of Thor...

He hits with the hammer
    (hits the wheel?), that causes the Big Bang. The galaxies and the stars are sparkles thereof. The runic sequenze references will be

Uruz ......... The basic ursoup, potentila anything
    Thurs ........ Big Bang, primal thunder, the breaketrough
    As ............ The universe balanced and ordered after the chaotic explosion