Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are German-Americans Not Considered "Volksdeutsche"? / German-Americans and Their Lack of Interest in Their Roots

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Re: AW: Re: On "German-Americans"

Quote Originally Posted by aingli_deas
    I was talking about people who are 100% whatever. The other two were implying that a man isn't German because he wasn't born and raised in Germany, even if they are 100% German. It's illogical.
    That's not what Zyklop said either, he gave an example of the so called "Russia-Germans", the problem comes into existence if someone regards himself as American and German/whatever, then again, we get this dual ethnicity thingy.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Sunday, May 21st, 2006 @ 08:41 AM
    Country
    United States United States
    Having a longtime companion
    Religion
    Traditional Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: On "German-Americans"

Quote Originally Posted by Zyklop
    You are a liar. Have you read the first post in this thread? I don´t think so.
    LOL! Okie, uh, will you further explain whatever "lie" you are imagining?

In repose
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, February 10th, 2007 @ 09:47 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Other Other
    Single
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger
    That's not what Zyklop said either, he gave an example of the so called "Russia-Germans", the problem comes into existant if someone regards himself as American, then again, we get this dual ethnicity thingy.

Though born outside of the Reich, i consider myself German by blood because my father was a Volksdeutscher and my mother a Swede. I have a Germans soul and a germans Genome.

If a Turkish couple have a child in Germany and the child grows up thinking of itself as a German and is acculturated and submersed in the volksdeutsch ethnicty; is this person a German by any stretch of the imagination?
    Clearly no.
    Except perhaps to some misguided, intellectually immature pan-Aryanist.

If a German couple have a child in America and the child grows up with a sense of his germanness, is he German?
    Clearly so.
    One does not need to be born on German soil to be a German!
    If this were the criteria by which we identified who is and isn't a German, then someone need tell the Alsatians, South Tyrolese, and Eupener that they are not Germans.

Like i'm sure some german straight shooter must once have said: " It's the blood stupid! "

Vive l'Alleman d'Amerique!

Best wishes,
    The disenfranchised German.
    _GM.
    ........................................ .............

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gaian Meroveus
    One does not need to be born on German soil to be a German!
    I don't know why you are telling me this, am I so hard to understand? I think I need to practise more english .

p.s.: I didn't point out racial prequesites, as I thought they would be obvious in such a forum
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

In repose
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, February 10th, 2007 @ 09:47 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Other Other
    Single
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know why you are telling me this, am I so hard to understand? I think I need to practise more english .

p.s.: I didn't point out racial prequesites, as I thought they would be obvious in such a forum

My sermon wasn't particularly directed at you.
    Perhaps i should not have quoted your particular post.
    Your english is "ausgezeichnet."

Best wishes,
    _GM.
    ........................................ .............

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Chrom-Mangan
    Country
    Other Other
    non-religious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: On "German-Americans"

LOL! Okie, uh, will you further explain whatever "lie" you are imagining?
    Well, you are lying about what I have stated in this thread, respectively in the first post:

Uhm, the issue at hand here is you and your friend seem to think that someone can't actually be whatever racial ethnicity because they grew up in America or a country that isn't where their ethnical background is from.
    If you are not a complete liar provide a source where I stated this.
    Tolerance is a proof of distrust in one's own ideals. Friedrich Nietzsche

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 10:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

And yes, germanbund and I are in a relationship. If you have an issue with that, then oh well for you. But I am wondering the same about you and Thumelicus.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2018 @ 03:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Telecommunications
    Politics
    Libertarian/Neo-Imperialist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

That's not what I was saying. Furthermore I particularily talked about descendants.
    If an English man moved to Germany, married a german woman, lives in Germany, and gets Kids.
    What are his Kids? English-German? Again, let's say one of these Kids marrys a german, what are their descendants? 1/4th English- 3/4th German?
    Could he move to England and claim to be English?
    Would he be accepted as one of their kin?

This dual ethnicity is crap, if you ask me, all I am saying is that one should decide where he wants to belong, then he will be accepted.
    So Jäger, are you saying that the child born to an English father and a German mother should choose one of those two ethnicities as his and just claim it as his own?

And then to carry the issue forward, does it really seem to you that United Statesian is an ethnicity? Is Belgian an ethnicity? Swiss? Could one have spoken of a Soviet ethnicity back when we were boys? None of these states is/was a nation-state, so it seems kind of odd to single out any of these states as a marker of ethnicity.

If United Statesian is not an ethnicity (and I think it is not), then what is wrong with the man who regards himself as politically loyal to the United States but ethnically loyal to the German nation (which does not coincide with the state of Germany)?
    Last edited by Leofric; Saturday, May 6th, 2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: correcting a number agreement error

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Thanks for the post Leofric, believe it or not I was actually thinking about it for quite some time, and wanted to post something along this lines.
    I mean the idea that strangely enough most americans don't consider american to be an ethnicity.

But what is an ethnicity? You said it on another forum, many germans only know their grandparents, it doesn't matter whether one has some e.g. french or swedish ancestry, they just look at each other, see how they act and then accept (beleive) him to be german or not.
    And this is all what counts, acceptance of a social, biological entity (thus my term of citizenship on another post, but indeed a wrong used term).
    After all I could call myself a true Anglo-Saxon and say the guys in England are just wannabe's.
    Who would care? Who would believe me?

As it seems people can loose this acceptance, which means they can loose their ethnicity.

I consider myself to be a Frank, this is an ethnicity which deosn't contradict the german one in any way.

To be precise
    So Jäger, are you saying that the child born to an English father and a German mother should choose one of those two ethnicities as his and just claim it as his own?
    Yes, but I am not sure how much this actually depends on a free decision, afterall an english, who was born and raised in Germany could have some troubles being accepted in England.

I basically think every social group can develop an ethnicity, and I think America did just that, but of course I might be very wrong.

I only had contact with the lowest form of an american, the G.I.

I need to visit the USA, I think this September maybe

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 10:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks for the post, Jager (dèja vù ) ; to be honest, i'm not personally involved in this discussion, but Leofric's post, and your answer to him, rise some academic (and unsolved) interrogatives.

But what is an ethnicity?
    A real academic question, sometimes..........

After all I could call myself a true Anglo-Saxon and say the guys in England are just wannabe's.
    Who would care? Who would believe me?
    indeed.

I consider myself to be a Frank, this is an ethnicity which deosn't contradict the german one in any way.
    The most intriguing part : with your statement, to be sincere (it's my personal impression), you introduce a concept of the ethnicity, still not in opposition, but transcending the concept of the "nation" in "politic-administrative" sense.............we could say many things on the subject.

Yes, but I am not sure how much this actually depends on a free decision, afterall an english, who was born and raised in Germany could have some troubles being accepted in England.

Hmm..........

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast