Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 242930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Why Are German-Americans Not Considered "Volksdeutsche"? / German-Americans and Their Lack of Interest in Their Roots

Bavarian Berkserkr
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 @ 07:03 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Primarily German. Other northern European listed in DNA test results.
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Oklahoma Oklahoma
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retired military and student.
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by norseking View Post
    While I admire your pride in your heritage, you and your close friends are a minority. Most people I know that are of german ancestry have no sense of ethnic pride, they may acknowledge that they are german, but they don't do anything of the matter.
    I hate to say it, but that's been my experience. Next to none show pride, and when I state the facts or am asked the origins of my name and proudly say Germany, I get questioning glances and nazi jokes. I'm tired of it. We have the same right to our heritage as anyone else does to theirs. Heck, even my wife OF GERMAN DECENT wanted to argue about me hanging a German and a Bavarian flag proudly in our home. She called me a racist.
    13. "Boldness is better | than plaints can be For him whose feet must fare; To a destined day has mine age been doomed, And my life's span thereto laid."
    -Skirnir, Skirnismal

Last Online
    Saturday, August 18th, 2012 @ 03:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Ireland, Scotland
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Wow it is interesting to see perspectives in other parts of the country. I didn't know it was that bad.

Come vacation in Pennsylvania especially Lancaster Country. You will be up to your ears in German culture.

http://www.padutchcountry.com/index.asp yeah a lot from this webpage is geared to tourists and my be to touristy but a lot of the old PA Deutsch is alive and well.

In fact the Amish and Mennonites have moved westward so look for a local Amish community in your state and you will find traditional Germans.

I know it is hard to find but it is there to be found and very rewarding when you do.

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles / Germany / Netherlands / Norway / France
    Subrace
    Borreby/CM
    Country
    Happily Married w/kids
    Occupation
    Professional
    Politics
    My own
    Religion
    Agnostic with Pagan leanings
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It does seem rare for most mainstream anglophile americans to have any pride in their heritage. They will at most maybe know what their ancestry is, but being proud or acknowledging their background seems very rare. I have noticed however the most recent immigrants are most proud. Norwegians like myself seem the most proud in the USA as for germanics. Whenever I mention I am norwegian many norwegian americans (pure) will mention how they are proud of being norwegian and are 100% or something. However I never hear people say they are proud of being german in particular. Probably because most norwegians here today came in the last century while many germans came to the new world 200 to 150 years ago and had to change their names to be more anglofied because of the 2 world wars we had.

entire cities in the US were renamed because they sounded too german during ww1 and germans with the surname Schmidt would be converted to Smith because of political reasons.

As I see it. Europe colonized Africa fucked it up. Europe colonized the Americas and in some cases fucked it up. And in the end America colonizes Europe politically and fucks it up.
    I know a lot of whites here in America that have no clue what their ancestry is, and don't seem to care about it.

Despite the fact my family are a mishmosh of NW European, at the very least I can say my mom always made a point of telling us about our ancestry. My dad never really talked much about it, but he sure embraced his German/Irish roots by the way he behaved

Last Online
    Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 @ 08:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland, and Wales
    Country
    Cultist
    Politics
    Cthulhic
    Religion
    LHP
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In general, I don't think most White Americans really think of themselves as anything other than Americans, except maybe the Irish and the Italians.

After all, America is their home and English their language.
    Omnia risus et omnis pulvis et omnia nihil - HPL

"Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about." - Willy Wonka

“niemand bleibt hier” - Maria Orsic

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 @ 06:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Nordland Nordland
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearBrave View Post
    Funny you should bring this up right now, as there is small city close to me that has thousands of German flags flying everywhere, and this goes on for a whole month.

I was there yesterday afternoon, they have a 4 day street fest, just to celebrate there German heritage and there are even several stores that sell German goods.

This is the court house:

If you don't believe it is real, I guess I use that as a excuse to drive over there and take even more pictures.
    While I believe that this exists I just don't see german pride like this in many regions of the United States. Maybe in certain locations the people are more cultured to where their roots are, but everyone I have met who is of german ancestry doesn't care and say all germans are nazis and stuff. It is very true that in the US if you claim to be proud of your heritage, most bigots will tell you you are wrong to be proud and a racist nazi. Im not sure if that is for everyone but it seems to be for everyone I have met.
    Borte bra, hjemme best

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    While I believe that this exists I just don't see german pride like this in many regions of the United States. Maybe in certain locations the people are more cultured to where their roots are, but everyone I have met who is of german ancestry doesn't care and say all germans are nazis and stuff. It is very true that in the US if you claim to be proud of your heritage, most bigots will tell you you are wrong to be proud and a racist nazi. Im not sure if that is for everyone but it seems to be for everyone I have met.
    Norseking where I live more than 50% of the people have German surnames, while I very much know that is not the case across the US, there are plenty of pockets where people are proud of their roots. There are festivals it seems everywhere. I don't remember the exact number, but I think 60% of white Americans have German ancestry.

It might be our duty to wake these Germanic Americans up and be proud of their heritage.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    The cure for someone telling you that is to beat the living shit out of them. Not that I'm advocating such a thing, of course.
    Most people think as they are trained to think, and most people make a majority.

Last Online
    Saturday, May 20th, 2017 @ 09:12 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German/Irish
    Ancestry
    Germany/Ireland (Viking?)
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Single adult
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian (non-denominational)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

German-Americans & Lack Of Interest In Their Roots

Quote Originally Posted by Schopenhauer View Post
    In general, I don't think most White Americans really think of themselves as anything other than Americans, except maybe the Irish and the Italians.

After all, America is their home and English their language.
    I can't (and won't) speak for my fellow Texans here on the forum brother Schopenhauer, but as for me, I am a TEXAN first and an American second (distant second at that).

The Lone Star State is rich in Germanic culture. As I have stated on previous comments, many Germans immigrated to Texas in the 1850's (in fact there is an excellent documentary series about this very subject that was recently broadcast on Public Television). There are German festivals and a dialect from the time of these immigrants is still spoken in many towns which they settled - New Braunfels, Castroville, Helotes, and (are you ready?) "New Berlin".
    Last edited by TXRog; Monday, August 22nd, 2011 at 05:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles / Germany / Netherlands / Norway / France
    Subrace
    Borreby/CM
    Country
    Happily Married w/kids
    Occupation
    Professional
    Politics
    My own
    Religion
    Agnostic with Pagan leanings
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    This thread reminds me of my tween years. Back then, my best friend was a *Nice Jewish Girl* of the Ashkenazi persuasion. She used to tell me NOT to tell anyone I had German ancestry, because that made me a Nazi. Of course, there was a mob rules mentality at the time, in that most of the girls I knew were Jewish and tended to stick together.

Other than that, I do not recall feeling shame over my German ancestry. I WILL admit to feeling my fair share of white guilt, even though I was born a few years after passage of The Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Last Online
    Friday, September 2nd, 2011 @ 04:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Sweden, America
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    California California
    Young adult
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Half the 51 million claiming German ancestry in America are probably over 4-6 ethnicities. That's why you don't probably see much German culture. Most of them are mixed and normaly side up with w/e they are more of or whatever appeals to them more. It can't be compared to the Mexicans who have only just begun coming here in large numbers. German Americans been here for a long time. Had no religion as an excuse to keep racial purity like the Italians or Irish. They've been here long enough to inter marry with other Americans. Half of them are probably everything from British isles descent to slavic & med.