Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are German-Americans Not Considered "Volksdeutsche"? / German-Americans and Their Lack of Interest in Their Roots

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Re: On "German-Americans"

You might enjoy reading this http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=5981
    A nice poem
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Chrom-Mangan
    Country
    Other Other
    non-religious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

AW: Re: On "German-Americans"

Quote Originally Posted by demdeutschenvolke
    My question deals with a hypothetical individual of German descent born and raised in the United States and in the American way. The family has been quite assimilated for some time and by this point in time considers itself American more than anything yet still "German-American." If this individual of German blood regains a sense of his/her roots, (truly and whole-heartedly) relearns the language and customs of his/her ancestors, and truly identifies above all with the ethnic German/German identity, would you still consider them German (considering their loyalty/initiative despite the disconnect made in the past)?
    Yes, of course. That´s exactly what I was trying to say.

Daglaf

[quote=demdeutschenvol

The issue of whether someone of German descent born outside of Germany has been discussed, but one defining aspect of this post has been the condition that the individual was born outside of Germany and raised in a suitably German way. My question deals with a hypothetical individual of German descent born and raised in the United States and in the American way. The family has been quite assimilated for some time and by this point in time considers itself American more than anything yet still "German-American." If this individual of German blood regains a sense of his/her roots, (truly and whole-heartedly) relearns the language and customs of his/her ancestors, and truly identifies above all with the ethnic German/German identity, would you still consider them German (considering their loyalty/initiative despite the disconnect made in the past)?

I'm really hoping for some reactions...

-DEM DEUTSCHEN VOLKE[/quote]
    If someone took a photo of me with a group of German people and said pick out the American knowone could.
    If you could do the same with my parents or, my grand parents you still could not pick out the American.
    I'd feel more at home with my own people in Germany. In the long run.
    The U.S seems more like the foreign country anymore. Since the U.S. has changed faster than i can keep up or want to keep up.
    Last edited by Daglaf; Thursday, June 1st, 2006 at 12:03 AM.

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daglaf
    If someone took a photo of me with a group of German people and said pick out the American knowone could.
    That might be true, but we have a whole thread which tries to explain why "looks" or better put ancestry is not everything.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Daglaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger
    That might be true, but we have a whole thread which tries to explain why "looks" or better put ancestry is not everything.
    I agree. Ancestry is not everything, yet (in my personal opinion) it is important and if it's not important then it should be if that culture expects to continue into the future in accordance with it's own basic traditions.
    Suppose someone from the U.S. say twenty years old with a solid German ancestry and a textbook knowledge of the German language immigrated and worked and lived in Germany for the rest of their life. That person would die in Germany still a U.S. American in my opinion.
    If that person raised a family in Germany the childern would be considered German in accordance with German law (am i correct?). Yet in reality those children could not be fully German because they would be influenced by some values from the U.S American parent. It takes several generations i would think for the assimulation process to work itself out.
    This is all theory on my part.
    So what are your thoughts in this matter?
    Do you find the values between a U.S. American of German ancestry and a German National that great?

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

So what are your thoughts in this matter?
    I pretty much agree with you, I am actually inclined to call the offspring fully german, this may vary from situation to situation though.

Last Online
    Sunday, April 1st, 2007 @ 02:18 AM
    Subrace
    Eriliskaz
    Hermit
    Occupation
    Teutonologist
    Politics
    Pangermanicism
    Religion
    Aðelakhaiðús.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

That person would die in Germany still a U.S. American in my opinion.
    If that person raised a family in Germany the childern would be considered German in accordance with German law (am i correct?). Yet in reality those children could not be fully German because they would be influenced by some values from the U.S American parent. It takes several generations i would think for the assimulation process to work itself out.
    This may be the case with many American Volksdeutschen, but I think I myself would integrate very well from the standpoint of values and mannerisms, behaviour, and ethics. If I stood out for anything it would be my fanatical hyperenthusiasm for Germanic culture! So many aspects of my character are archetypal(ly) German or Germanic. I have a strong work ethic, I have a deep love of nature and animals (I have more affection for them than most people ), I am very reserved (in person) and don't have a big group of "friends" but rather a small band of old companions, I am a meticulous worker, I despise change and have a romantic/nostalgic view of the past, I love order and hate irrational touchy-feely people, I have a strong tendency toward pedantry and nit-picking, I am very down to earth and simultaneously very idealistic (pessimism of the mind, optimism of the spirit), I have little sympathy for weakness, I have a very strong sense of justice, I think very literally and often miss irony, I am very serious and dislike frivolity, and too much comfort. I love challenges and adventure, I see war and violence as given facts of life all we can do is choose our enemies wisely. I see life as a struggle. I believe in might makes right (within reason). I am very honest. I always say exactly what is on my mind, even if it is offensive to many, and at the same time I am usually very polite. I always folow the rules. I hate lying and dishonesty. Nothing makes me more angry than inconsistency and B.S.'ing. I am very loyal and true. I am very principled. I would rather die than be disloyal or betray someone. I am stubborn and opinionated. I am very strong-willed and have an indomitable spirit. Above all My Folk is my religion. I am the most Germanic person the ever lived! Ja, du hast mich richtig gehoert, Wagner! Wherever Germanic culture lives, there is my homeland!
    Last edited by Theudiskaz; Thursday, June 1st, 2006 at 02:59 AM.
    -Hyge sceal ðe heardre, heorte ðe cénre, mód sceal ðe máre, þý úre mægen lytlaþ. -The Battle of Maldon
    -I love the great despisers, because they are the great adorers, and arrows of longing for the other shore. -Thus Spake Zarathustra

Daglaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger
    I pretty much agree with you, I am actually inclined to call the offspring fully german, this may vary from situation to situation though.
    So i would be inclined if a German National should immigrate to U.S. America. The children would be fully U.S. American.
    By the way my favorate beer is Hacker-Pschorr and my favorate Wagner Classic is "Parsifal".

Last Online
    Thursday, September 21st, 2006 @ 09:03 PM
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So i would be inclined if a German National should immigrate to U.S. America. The children would be fully U.S. American.
    You may, but if the children were to actually have dual citizenship, the US government wouldn't. They deny people security clearance strictly on that basis.

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

If we talk about one parent fully american and the other fully german, then yes, that's usually what happens.