Saturday, October 24th, 2009 @ 01:54 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One phobia that I know of

I am phobic about getting my toenails cut. It causes me immense anxiety.

My wife is kind enough to do it for me (and put up with my distress) once a month.

It's weird...I'm weird.

Last Online
    Friday, July 18th, 2008 @ 07:42 AM
    Occupation
    mendicant philosopher, freelance egotist, part time terrorist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Uncontrolled heights. Like being high places where there exists a reasonable risk of accidentally falling off. Like ladders. I have a hard time going ten feet into the air to clean out my gutters. I mean, I used to fly helicopters. I LIKE flying. But I'm too scared to transition from standing on a roof to climbing down the ladder to reach the safety of ground. It takes a huge amount of effort for me to do such a thing. There is a complicated mix of thoughts ranging from "I WILL SACRIFICE TO ANY GOD WHO DELIVERS ME FROM THIS HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE HIGH PLACE" to a little voice in my head that whispers, "jump. Do it. Fling yourself over the edge and experience complete and total freedom. Free from the worries of anything, secure in the knowledge that you know exactly how the rest of your life is going to go. Death is inevitable, this gives you control, leaving you with nothing to do with the rest of your exquisitely short life but drink in the adrenaline filled joy that is the sensation of fetterless nothing."

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    High places have those little voices for me as well. 'What would it feel like to fall/fly/float away?', 'What would happen to your body if you fell from this hight vs. that hight over there?' and 'What are you doing up here, trying to hurt your yourself or something?'

Public embarrassment has always been something that I try to avoid but I do not think it is to the point of a phobia. I am OK with having unpopular opinions(good thing since I am a mom and on a forum staff ) but that is not the same as being embarrassed over something I have done.

I have a really strong revulsion to maggots and cockroaches. I saw a chest freezer half full of maggots when helping clean out a house a month after a fire. The freezer had gotten unplugged and opened enough for some flies to get in. It was pretty awful but did not smell nearly as bad as it looked. I was ten and will never forget it.:ugh :runaway Roaches make me really nauseas and my skin crawl. Other bugs do not bug me. They are not allowed in my house but I do not have a visceral reaction to them.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    For me it's the good'ole 'fear of abandonment', thanks to my mommy who didn't breastfeed me and totally ignored and neglected me as a toddler. .

Last Online
    Saturday, October 24th, 2009 @ 01:54 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Axis
    For me it's the good'ole 'fear of abandonment', thanks to my mommy who didn't breastfeed me and totally ignored and neglected me as a toddler. .
    Yep, the most wondrous breasts abandoned me in 1949 (because my dear mom warned me not to bite her and I didn't take her all that seriously and she wasn't one to negotiate...I'll tell ya; that really sucked!)

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 07:01 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As a child, I struggled with a fear of death - not of dieing young, but of death's eventual inevitability.

I am also constantly concerned that I have forgotten something. I often walk back to make sure that I closed the garage or locked the doors. I am not sure that this a bad thing, as about 1% of the time I have actually forgotten to do the thing or left some object behind.

Last Online
    Sunday, January 4th, 2009 @ 05:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Hedmark Hedmark
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Occupation
    I'm a parasite, I sell stuff.
    Politics
    Man marks the Earth with ruin.
    Religion
    Nature shall prevail!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am claustrophobic (A mild version, according to my Doctor.) and I hate heights and especially airplanes! I HATE FLYING!

I suffer from depression from time to time, but that has gotten rarer and rarer.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maccuswæl
    Uncontrolled heights. Like being high places where there exists a reasonable risk of accidentally falling off. Like ladders. I have a hard time going ten feet into the air to clean out my gutters. I mean, I used to fly helicopters. I LIKE flying.
    I have a similar fear of heights.I would be able to climb a ten foot ladder, but not a twenty foot one. I would be completely unable to get from a second storey roof on to a ladder in order to climb down.

Oddly enough this fear doesn't stop me from skydiving! :runaway

I look out the door of the aeroplane and the little voice inside my head says "So jump, why don't you!?" and I do.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, September 12th, 2009 @ 11:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Occupation
    Student, works in Airport Retail
    Politics
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm dead scared of spiders (it really doesn't matter if they're microscopic or huge, they're still terrifying to me) and I hate killing them. I do it if I absolutely have no other option, but prefer not to. A friend of me had a tarantula, and while visiting him one time, he decided it was a good joke to blurt out that it had escaped and that we had to be careful sitting down. That bastard.

Other than that, I have always been afraid of loosing my closest family. I can't stand when they're late, as I constantly start to worry that they have somehow died. Maybe that's just morbid, but still, a terrible fear. Oh, I'm also afraid of flying, and everytime I do, I seriously start to think about my own funeral, last time I actually tried picking out songs from my iPod that would be appropriate. eyes: Aaanyway, by the time we hit ground I realized I hadn't freaked out about the actual flight, so I guess finding nice funeral songs is really working on calming me down.
    "I don't trust or love anyone. Because people are so creepy. Creepy creepy creeps. Creeping around. Creeping here and creeping there. Creeping everywhere. Crippity crappity creepies."
    -Vincent Gallo.

Last Online
    Sunday, January 4th, 2009 @ 05:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Hedmark Hedmark
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Occupation
    I'm a parasite, I sell stuff.
    Politics
    Religion
    Nature shall prevail!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God
    I have a similar fear of heights.I would be able to climb a ten foot ladder, but not a twenty foot one. I would be completely unable to get from a second storey roof on to a ladder in order to climb down.
    The same with me, although I'd rather avoid ladders alltogether.

Oddly enough this fear doesn't stop me from skydiving! :runaway
    Insanity! Complete, utter insanity! :eek :runaway

I look out the door of the aeroplane and the little voice inside my head says "So jump, why don't you!?" and I do.
    The same suicidal voice in your head that urges you to walk in front of a 20 ton trailer driving 120 KM/H, if I am not mistaken?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast