View Poll Results: Are Germans and Austrians the same ethnically, culturally, etc.?

Voters
235. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are.

196 83.40%
  • No, they aren't.

26 11.06%
  • Other Opinion.

13 5.53%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do Germany and Austria Compare?

Last Online
    Saturday, April 4th, 2009 @ 01:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Subrace
    Nordid/Atlantid.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Massachusetts Massachusetts
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Looking
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freydis View Post
    You'd think being separate states for the past 500+ years would have something to do with cultural differences. But the Anschluss was short.. and please stop asking me if I've heard of things. I have.

They distinguish themselves from Germany. Obviously if they considered themselves to be German they would have wanted to continue with Anschluss.
    After WWI the majority of Austrians wanted to become part of Germany, but because of the all-lies, they were not suffered to expand greater German territory because the (greater) Germans lost, they weren't suppose to GAIN territory.

When the Germans marched into Austria to solidify the Anschluss, Crowds of Austrians were parading, weeping, and waving the Blutfahne.

This attitude of modern Austrians to differentiate themselves from the Germans is petty and anti-intellectual. Who cares if Mozart was Austrian or German? We should re-establish a greater German consciousness. Most nations were split into different regions at one point, France = Normandy, Burgundy, Aquitaine, Britanny, Spain = Galiza, Castile y Leon, Andalusia, Catalonia etc.
    SVMDEVSSVMCAESARSVMCAELVMETINFERNVM

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Are the Austrians German?

In your View, are the Austrians German?

The Austrian Language is really a variety of the German Language. The Austrian Culture is very similar to Bavarian Culture.

Austrian German (Österreichisches Deutsch) is the national standard variety of the German language spoken in Austria and South Tyrol.

As German is a Pluricentric language, Austrian German is another standard variety in addition to the German spoken in Germany. Much like the relationship between American and British English, Austrian German is simply another standard form of the German language. It is codified in the "Österreichisches Wörterbuch" which states specific grammar rules and is a dictionary using Austrian spelling. In addition to this standard variety, in everyday life, most Austrians speak one of a number of High German dialects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_German

This is my first Poll, I hope I don't mess it up. :o

Last Online
    Thursday, October 15th, 2009 @ 08:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    Welsh/Scandinavian
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    student/Bar supervisor
    Politics
    mixed
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well I have two Austrian friends one calls himself German (when it suites him!) and the other will scream blue murder if you even suggest she is as I'm sure will be pointed out by someone with a better grasp of Austrian history than I Austria is a new country as such and at one point was in control of Germany not vice versa so maybe you could ask are Germans Austrian!!!
    Cattle die, kinsmen die,
    the self must also die;
    but glory never dies,
    For the one who is able to achieve it.

Sayings of the High One.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 09:12 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrymheim View Post
    Well I have two Austrian friends one calls himself German (when it suites him!)
    That'll be me, I presume?

and the other will scream blue murder if you even suggest she is
    [bat squeak]"I'm - not - Geeeermaaan!" [/bat squeak]. Apologies to all others for the insider joke.

Anyway, personally I am of the opinion that a nation is identified by sharing a common history, language and culture. All those are the case for Austria and Germany, as well as to a lesser extent Switzerland, Luxemburg and Liechtenstein. Many people will try to argue that Austrian culture is something distinct, but that is a blatant lie. Some of German citizenship are culturally very proximate to us, that is the Alemannic and Bayuvar descended groups in the south, i.e. the Badeners, the Swabians, the Bavarians and to a lesser extent the Franconians. Again, they are much closer to us in culture than they are to let's say Frisians. So either one talks of a larger German cultural area, or not of a German culture at all. Just because the German nation is more federal, more regional than in the traditionally centralised nation states of Western Europe (something that only happened in Germany less than 150 years ago), doesn't mean it isn't a nation - there can be several definitions of nationhood.

Interesting book to read on this topic would also be Oesterreich - ein deutscher Sonderfall?, an excellent book written by the Austrian nationalist politician and MP, Andreas Mölzer (FPOe) in 1988. Hence, some of the facts are out of date now, such as the occasional reference to the GDR, but it is still rings true in its essential points. A must read for anyone who wants this question answered.

as I'm sure will be pointed out by someone with a better grasp of Austrian history than I Austria is a new country as such and at one point was in control of Germany not vice versa so maybe you could ask are Germans Austrian!!!
    Indeed. At least until the fall of Metternich in 1848, the Austrians were superior to the Prussians in power - politically, if no longer economically (blame the Prussians for starting the Zollverein (Customs Union) and excluding us - within the Deutscher Bund (German Confederation). One could even argue without much hardship that up to the Austro-Prussian war in 1866 and that decisive battle at Königgrätz which made sure that one would go for the Kleindeutsch solution, the powers were still somewhat equal to that of the Prussians - Northern states would often side with the Prussians and look towards them for guidance, whilst southern states would look towards Austria for assistance.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Funding Member
    Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 06:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I think the Austrians are Germans for a whole lot of reasons. But, twice Austrians have told me they speak Austrian, not German, and were a little sensitive about it.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 08:36 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Overijssel Overijssel
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Lay back down
    Politics
    Blut & Boden
    Religion
    Not sure anymore
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Austrians are Germans, like Bavarians and Rhinelanders are german aswell.

Just because they have a own state, does not mean they stopted being German.

Germany was until 1871 only a geographic meaning.

Austrians who refuse being acknowledge that they are German, are nothing more then Germans in denial that they are German.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 30th, 2008 @ 06:21 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have learnt, from a variety of sources, that Austrians, or Austrian Germans rather, are Germans. When you hear about famous Austrians in history, they are described as Germans by ethnicity. The Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation and Deutscher Bund seem to confirm this notion of Germandom from a linear historical point of view. I think Austrians are Germans.
    God expects but one thing of you,
    and that is that you should come out of yourself in so far as you are a created being made
    and let God be God in you.

Meister Eckhart

Do U believe in God? | Svensk förskola | Vem äger media? | CA ban on mom & dad | Birth control causes breast cancer

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 08:36 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Overijssel Overijssel
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Lay back down
    Politics
    Blut & Boden
    Religion
    Not sure anymore
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I found this map, which indicates Germany in 1984 if it had won the war.

Regardless if one claim all these land, that is not the question here, the fact is that Netherlands would be incorporated in Germany one way or the other.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 08:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Prussian
    Country
    Prussia Prussia
    State
    Pommerania Pommerania
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The excistance of many nations is defined by accident. I suppose that north german dialects in old times were more similiar to dutch than south german dialects, especially if we remember that Germany as a country excist for quite short time. Austria had another history, same Netherlands, so now they are different country. Austrian ethnicity is german, but it doesn't mean they are Germans. Czechs and Slovaks are both slavic and shared history, but it doesnt mean you could name Czech- Slovakian or viceversa.

Maybe it's only a matter of name, and if someone want be called German, why not?

At least, most of you, can try to find if your ancestors lived in Tyrol, Thuringen, Austria or whatever. In Poland its harder, "thanks" to Germans ;P

And about yours Dritten Reich map...Gruß aus Westpreussen

http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/...a7ae20804.html

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 10:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Ancestry
    Alemanni-Suebi/Irish
    Subrace
    Dalophælid-Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Hessen-Darmstadt Hessen-Darmstadt
    Hagestolz
    Politics
    Advocatus Diaboli
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatt View Post
    The excistance of many nations is defined by accident. I suppose that north german dialects in old times were more similiar to dutch than south german dialects, especially if we remember that Germany as a country excist for quite short time.
    Dutch is a language originating from a German dialect, and not vice versa. A while ago it was not uncommon to use Dietsland (compare: Deutschland) for The Netherlands.
    Austria had another history, same Netherlands, so now they are different country. Austrian ethnicity is german, but it doesn't mean they are Germans.
    Just because the Austrians' ethnicity is German they are Germans! Dutch are Germans too, they left Germany in 1648 though - like Switzerland did.
    Czechs and Slovaks are both slavic and shared history, but it doesnt mean you could name Czech- Slovakian or viceversa.
    Slovaks are no Czechs, true, because they are two different ethnicities - Austrians are Germans though - originating form the tribe of the Bajuvarians and Allamanni in the very west.
    Maybe it's only a matter of name, and if someone want be called German, why not?
    Call yourself Germans and propose a re-union with Germany in Austria - and go to prison for 20 years.
    At least, most of you, can try to find if your ancestors lived in Tyrol, Thuringen, Austria or whatever. In Poland its harder, "thanks" to Germans ;P

And about yours Dritten Reich map...Gruß aus Westpreussen
    Quiz: which country had 250km of it's border beyond the ethnic frontier in the 1920s?
    When men cease to fight — they cease to be — Men.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast