View Poll Results: Do you believe in Love for a lifetime?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

38 57.58%
  • No.

8 12.12%
  • Maybe....

20 30.30%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe in "the One"?/ Love for a Lifetime?

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 5th, 2016 @ 12:13 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Rilke sums it up pretty well:

"Love is at first not anything that means merging, giving over, and uniting with another (for what would a union be of something unclarified and unfinished, still subordinate-?); it is a high inducement to the individual to ripen, to become something in himself, to become world, to become world for himself in another's sake."

- Letters to a Young Poet

"Look, we don't love like flowers with only one season behind us; when we love, a sap older than memory rises in our arms."

- The Duino Elegies: The Third Elegy

"Having promised one another distance, hunting, and home, don't lovers always cross eachothers boundaries?"

- The Duino Elegies: The Fourth Elegy

"There is scarcely anything more difficult than to love one another. That is work, day labor, day labor, God knows there is no other word for it."

"Love is something difficult and it is more difficult than other things because in other conflicts nature herself enjoins men to collect themselves, to take themselves firmly in the hand with all their strength, while in the heightening of love the impulse is to give oneself wholly away."

"Like so much else, people have also misunderstood the place of love in life, they have made it into play and pleasure because they thought that play and pleasure were more blissful than work; but there is nothing happier than work, and love, just because it is the extreme happiness, can be nothing else but work."

"So whoever loves must try to act as if he had a great work: he must be much alone and go into himself and collect himself and hold fast to himself; he must work; he must become something!"

"To speak of love is to speak of hardness."

- Rilke and Benvenuta: an Intimate Correspondence

"May I be granted that, in your hands, the habit of looking on love as a thing to accomplish will leave, like an old pain - and that, slowly raising my eyes to look at you, I would no longer know where it had hurt - or where it had been."

"To be loved means to be consumed. To love is to give light with inexhaustible oil. To be loved is to pass away, to love is to endure."

"The demands which the difficult work of love makes upon our development are more than life-size, and as beginners we are not up to them."

"...human relationships, which are an extract of life, are the most changeable of all, rising and falling, from minute to minute, and lovers are those whose relationships and contact no one moment resembles another."

"I hold this to be the highest task of a bond between two people: that each should stand guard over the solitude of the other. For, if it lies in the nature of indifference and of the crowd to recognize no solitude, then love and friendship are there for the purpose of continually providing the opportunity for solitude. And only those are the true sharings which rhythmically interrupt periods of deep isolation."

-Letters to a Young Poet
    And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AW: Love for a lifetime?

I would compare love with will. Most people just want to believe love for a lifetime exists just from itself. Hormones or kind of god`s work, even as a wonderful tribute everyone has a claim on. But if that was true, it would signify that there`s one partner certainly for me. In my opinion, there are different positive qualities of different partners that can impress a person and convice to have a closer relationship to the other one. But the only element which can prevent to change your partner as soon as there`s someone more interesting, new, more beautiful or thrilling is the will to! Freshen this existing relationship, to make it funnier, bringing in new influences, finding same interests and make it strengthened is hard work and absolutely indispensably, but merely secondariy. The will can make us act against our low and weakly instincts of wanting adventures and change a situation as soon as it becomes a bit difficult or uncomfortable. Trying to escape is easier than to solve problems, but not in a long term.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 30th, 2006 @ 12:00 PM
    Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Single
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Love for a lifetime?

True love is as rare as it is beautiful. Sure, there's the biological aspect of loving, and we all know the theory, but humans are able to rise far above that. Love can transform himself into a deep appreciation and understanding for your counterpart. Sadly, our present-day world with emphasis on individual self fulfillment do not stimulate those characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frau_Hierl
    The will can make us act against our low and weakly instincts of wanting adventures and change a situation as soon as it becomes a bit difficult or uncomfortable. Trying to escape is easier than to solve problems, but not in a long term.
    Its a bit the spirit of the time to seek for answers that grant instant satisfaction - look at the consume rate of medicine in the west, for example. Nonetheless, I think moral has a lot to do with it, too, and like you said, if you courageous enough to battle your problems instead of escaping them.
    Last edited by Leofric; Saturday, March 18th, 2006 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Merging two posts

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 5th, 2016 @ 12:13 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

AW: Re: Love for a lifetime?

“In addition to my other numerous acquaintances, I have one more intimate confidant. My depression is the most faithful mistress I have known -- no wonder, then, that I return the love.”

- Sören Kierkegaard
    And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    I'd like to believe in it, but it's far from reality. I am not interested in love forever, just to find a suitable husband and father for my son. I'd be foolish and naive to hope for my knees to melt whenever I see him, and when that ends it means I need someone new. This idea of love being a special tingly feeling that came from movies has destroyed many relationships.

Last Online
    Monday, May 11th, 2009 @ 09:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    East Prussia, Saxon England
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Married parent
    Occupation
    hired gun
    Politics
    will to power
    Religion
    Odian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    The idea of 'love for a lifetime', imo, undermines the more important ideal of commitment for a lifetime. Loves comes and goes between people, is fleeting. Commitment lasts far longer, as long as those involved will it to last.
    Knowing that you can love a person and be loved by them in turn, is important to that commitment, but to expect the love feeling to follow anything like a predictable pattern is foolish.

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Engaged
    Politics
    Not liberal
    Religion
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I believe humans are capable of love for a life time, but it does not always work out that way.
    "Gallantly shall he speak and gifts bring who wishes for woman's love: praise the features of the fair girl. Who courts well will conquer."

The three highest causes of the true human are: Truth, Honor, and Duty.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 @ 04:36 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland, Germany and Scandinavia.
    Country
    State
    California California
    Family
    Looking ;)
    Occupation
    Student and aspiring author
    Politics
    Pro-Monarchy
    Religion
    Open
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm young and naive, of course I believe in love that lasts a lifetime! Like anything that's going to last it needs a firm foundation though. Love built on nothing won't last but love built on commitment and common goals can.

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Engaged
    Politics
    Not liberal
    Religion
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfin View Post
    I'm young and naive, of course I believe in love that lasts a lifetime! Like anything that's going to last it needs a firm foundation though. Love built on nothing won't last but love built on commitment and common goals can.

I don't think it is a prerequisite that you must be young and naive to believe that love can last a lifetime, else there would be not be elders who continue to be in love with their partner.
    "Gallantly shall he speak and gifts bring who wishes for woman's love: praise the features of the fair girl. Who courts well will conquer."

The three highest causes of the true human are: Truth, Honor, and Duty.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 @ 04:36 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland, Germany and Scandinavia.
    Country
    State
    California California
    Family
    Looking ;)
    Occupation
    Student and aspiring author
    Politics
    Pro-Monarchy
    Religion
    Open
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was mostly being sarcastic. Sometimes I forget that tone doesn't transfer well into text.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast