View Poll Results: Who was Jesus? (check all that apply)

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • The son of God who died on the cross for the sins of mankind

    16 42.11%
  • One of several prophets or messengers of God

    3 7.89%
  • A Jewish revolutionary figure executed for his controversial ideas

    12 31.58%
  • I don't care who he was

    4 10.53%
  • A fairy tale, he never existed

    6 15.79%
  • Undecided

    3 7.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 53

Thread: Who Was Jesus?

  1. #41
    Senior Member Astragoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Online
    7 Hours Ago @ 01:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Gender
    Posts
    841
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    863
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    819
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    He is the Messias, the Son of Man, the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity, the Incarnate Word, the Logos. Catholics and Orthodox and other Christian, Protestant confessions agree upon this.

    Talmudists hate Him and His mother, the Blessed Virgin; He is the penultimate "antisemite" because He exposed jewry for being a pack of money-grubbing, intolerant hypocrites.
    The people that hate him say more about themselves than anything else. Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for us.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astragoth For This Useful Post:


  3. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 10:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Gender
    Religion
    Hitlerism
    Posts
    339
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    104
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    The divinity of Christ is at the very heart of all the doctrines of the Catholic faith, and Christ is true God and true man.
    Nowhere is it explicitly taught that Jesus was god.

    The Acts are almost certainly a fabrication from Eusebius, who also authored the conversations found in the epistles of Jesus.

    Half of the fulfilled OT "prophecies" can be neutralized by using the Septuagint which was recommended by Schopenhauer. Goethe also found problems with Luther's translation.

    As for Jesus' "I am" testimony, it must be asked to whom did he say these statements?

    If it was to the Pharisees, why would it matter to him if these obstinate fellas didn't believe in his divinity? He knew it'd be a waste of time and energy to make an appeal to them (recall that Jesus could be drained of his vitality; Luke 8:43-46).

    Matthew 15:13-14 He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots. Leave them; they are blind guides.”

    If it was to his disciples, then wouldn't it have been redundant since they already believed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    I always find it so strange that Christ and Lucifer are considered "spirit brothers" by the Latter-Day Saints. But Joseph Smith's family was heavily involved in the occult, and practiced mesmerism, divining, animal magnetism and scrying.
    Sure the Mormons have put forth some strange and erroneous beliefs over the years, but dabbling in those listed practices is scarcely occult (a word which has lost it's meaning. I suggest looking up it's etymology: hidden, secret. If the gospel's already being proclaimed among us, then the word is nowadays redundant). In my view, as long as these so-called occult trends maintain a scientific and methodical approach, then it's actually helping put spirituality back on track.

    Btw animal magnetism is supported by the aforementioned verse I mentioned and also by 1 Kings 1:1-4. It would later go on to be further developed by Karl von Reichenbach.

  4. #43
    Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Alice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Gender
    Religion
    Catholic
    Posts
    1,835
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,898
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,055
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
    Nowhere is it explicitly taught that Jesus was god.

    The Acts are almost certainly a fabrication from Eusebius, who also authored the conversations found in the epistles of Jesus.
    I'm confused, Terminus. Which Eusebius are you referring to? St. Eusebius of Vercelli?
    Let us not desire delights, daughters; we are well-off here; the bad inn lasts for only a night.
    -St. Teresa of Avila

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice For This Useful Post:


  6. #44
    Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Aeternitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Gender
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Posts
    1,566
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    44
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    385
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Who is Jesus? Just who the Bible says he is:



    The historicity of Jesus:



    Who did Jesus say/think he was?



    At The Veritas Forum at the University of Chicago, Cambridge scholar Peter Williams lists some of the extra-biblical historical evidence for Christianity:



    Dr. William Lane Craig explains four historical facts, accepted by the majority of historical scholars, that lead to the conclusion that Jesus really did rise from the dead:



    Some other good material on this topic would be Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ, Josh McDowell's Evidence That Demands a Verdict and J. Warner Wallace's Cold Case Christianity. All three authors came from an agnostic/atheist background and sought to examine the historical evidence of the Christian faith in order to disprove it. The first is an investigative journalist who was seeking to debunk his wife's conversion to Christianity, the second was preparing a paper and the third is a homicide detective. However, prompted by the results of their investigation, they ended up converting to Christianity themselves, as they found more evidence for it than against it.

    "All Christians should be able to articulate reasons why they believe what they believe - not just for the sake of our spiritually confused friends, but also so that we ourselves will have a deeper and more confident faith."
    --
    Lee Strobel, an investigative journalist, was an atheist when he began investigating the Biblical claims about Christ after his wife's conversion. His first book, The Case for Christ retraces his conversion to Christianity. His personal journey was also the topic of a movie made after the book. Strobel also hosted a TV show called Faith Under Fire, where guests would debate current issues related to Christianity and runs a video apologetics web site.





    "After I set out to refute Christianity intellectually and couldn't, I came to the conclusion the Bible was true and Jesus Christ was God's Son."
    --
    As a young man, Josh McDowell considered himself an agnostic. He believed that Christianity was worthless until he started researching it more in depth in order to intellectually refute it in a paper. Today, he is a Christian apologist and evangelist. As a practitioner of Christian apologetics, McDowell's writings have concentrated on addressing challenges to belief, questions posed by non-Christians, doubts about faith, and non-Christian religions. McDowell tends to present positive arguments to commend belief in Jesus Christ by emphasizing historical and legal proofs to establish the authenticity of the biblical texts and the divinity of Christ.







    "Christianity is a statement which, if false, is of no importance, and, if true, is of infinite importance. The one thing it cannot be is moderately important."
    --
    An American homicide detective and former atheist, Wallace presents ten principles of cold-case homicide cases and uses them to investigate the claims of the New Testament gospels. Wallace, much like Stobel became a Christian after investigating the gospels as potential eyewitness accounts to the life of Jesus.

















    Also, Is Jesus Simply a Retelling of the Mithras Mythology?

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aeternitas For This Useful Post:


  8. #45
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Elizabeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Gender
    Zodiac Sign
    Aries
    Politics
    Pro-Trump, Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Posts
    845
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    758
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    818
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    I voted he was "A Jewish revolutionary figure executed for his controversial ideas".

  9. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 12:49 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian/Suevi
    Ancestry
    germanic/alsatian/Elsaesser
    Subrace
    Child of Creator God
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Gender
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    retired - Aerospace Quality Engi
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Posts
    839
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    768
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,003
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    @Aeternitas

    Nice collection, I will listen to all of them.

  10. #47
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Bleyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Gender
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethnocentrism
    Religion
    Tradition
    Posts
    134
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    115
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    137
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    The son of God who died on the cross for the sins of mankind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
    Nowhere is it explicitly taught that Jesus was god.
    Yes it is, very explicitly, both in the OT where the Messiah is prophesised and in the NT.

    Isaiah 7:14 “Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.”

    Matthew 1:23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" (which means "God with us").”

    “Immanuel” literally means “God with us.”

    Isaiah 9:6 “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

    We can also infer that he is God from the following verses:

    Daniel 7:13-14 “There before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven . . . He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.”

    Matthew 2:11 “On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him.”

    Jesus was worshipped and accepted worship from his people, disciples and followers. Thomas called him his Lord and God, and Jesus did not object.

    John 20:27-29 “Then He said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.’ Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’ Then Jesus told him, ‘Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.’"

    John 10:30-33 “‘I and the Father are one.’ Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, ‘I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?’ ‘We are not stoning you for any of these,’ replied the Jews, ‘but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.’”

    Colossians 1:15-16; 2:9 “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. . . . For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form. . .”

    Titus 2:13-14 “our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us. . .”

    Paul’s letters were some of the earliest Christian writings, with most of them actually predating the four Gospels.

    Jesus claimed equality with God the Father. He literally said "I am in the Father".

    John 5:17-18 “Jesus said to them, 'My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working.' For this reason the Jews tried all the harder to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God” .

    John 7:28-29: “Then Jesus, still teaching in the temple courts, cried out, 'Yes, you know me, and you know where I am from. I am not here on my own, but he who sent me is true. You do not know him, but I know him because I am from him and he sent me.”

    John 10:30: “I and the Father are one.“

    John 14:7-11, 20: “'If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.' Philip said, 'Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.' Jesus answered: 'Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, "Show us the Father"? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.'“

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bleyer For This Useful Post:


  12. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 12:49 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian/Suevi
    Ancestry
    germanic/alsatian/Elsaesser
    Subrace
    Child of Creator God
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Gender
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    retired - Aerospace Quality Engi
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Posts
    839
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    768
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,003
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleyer View Post
    The son of God who died on the cross for the sins of mankind.

    Yes it is, very explicitly, both in the OT where the Messiah is prophesised and in the NT........................

    You know the Scriptures...........
    Thanks.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to schwab For This Useful Post:


  14. #49
    Grand Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 31st, 2019 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Location
    South Coast
    Gender
    Zodiac Sign
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Posts
    5,040
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,584
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,592
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts
    The people that hate him say more about themselves than anything else. Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for us.
    Well, Astra, those who don't believe in JC's existence can hardly be classed as 'haters' because you cannot hate something that doesn't exist.

    Nor do I hate those who believe that he did exist either, just for the record. I think this is a common but false assumption.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to SaxonPagan For This Useful Post:


  16. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 10:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Gender
    Religion
    Hitlerism
    Posts
    339
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    104
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    I'm confused, Terminus. Which Eusebius are you referring to? St. Eusebius of Vercelli?
    I mean the Church historian Eusebius of Caesarea.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How Do We Know Jesus Was Really Who He Said He Was?
    By Bittereinder in forum Christianity
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Friday, July 12th, 2019, 10:05 PM
  2. Why Jesus?
    By Jehan in forum Christianity
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Wednesday, November 8th, 2006, 09:54 AM
  3. What Did Jesus Really Say?
    By Evolved in forum Christianity
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Saturday, October 16th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •