Sunday, June 17th, 2018 @ 06:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The War on Stupid People

As recently as the 1950s, possessing only middling intelligence was not likely to severely limit your life’s trajectory. IQ wasn’t a big factor in whom you married, where you lived, or what others thought of you. The qualifications for a good job, whether on an assembly line or behind a desk, mostly revolved around integrity, work ethic, and a knack for getting along—bosses didn’t routinely expect college degrees, much less ask to see SAT scores. As one account of the era put it, hiring decisions were “based on a candidate having a critical skill or two and on soft factors such as eagerness, appearance, family background, and physical characteristics.”

The 2010s, in contrast, are a terrible time to not be brainy. Those who consider themselves bright openly mock others for being less so. Even in this age of rampant concern over microaggressions and victimization, we maintain open season on the nonsmart. People who’d swerve off a cliff rather than use a pejorative for race, religion, physical appearance, or disability are all too happy to drop the s‑bomb: Indeed, degrading others for being “stupid” has become nearly automatic in all forms of disagreement.
    We must stop glorifying intelligence and treating our society as a playground for the smart minority. We should instead begin shaping our economy, our schools, even our culture with an eye to the abilities and needs of the majority, and to the full range of human capacity. The government could, for example, provide incentives to companies that resist automation, thereby preserving jobs for the less brainy. It could also discourage hiring practices that arbitrarily and counterproductively weed out the less-well-IQ’ed. This might even redound to employers’ benefit: Whatever advantages high intelligence confers on employees, it doesn’t necessarily make for more effective, better employees. Among other things, the less brainy are, according to studies and some business experts, less likely to be oblivious of their own biases and flaws, to mistakenly assume that recent trends will continue into the future, to be anxiety-ridden, and to be arrogant.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ticle-comments

Uniter
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Ancestry
    Iceland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    State
    Reykjavik Reykjavik
    Thule
    Occupation
    Merit
    Politics
    Science
    Religion
    Unity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    We must stop glorifying intelligence
    never.
    "I have reached these lands but newly
    From an ultimate dim Thule
    From a wild weird clime, that lieth, sublime,
    Out of SPACE — out of TIME
    ."
    Edgar Allan Poe

Last Online
    Thursday, September 7th, 2017 @ 12:29 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Germanic and Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles & Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Borreby x Nordic
    Country
    Other Other
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Gondolier
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    It is dangerous to mess with the left hand side of the bell curve. Eugenecists today forget what Galton understood.

Last Online
    Sunday, June 17th, 2018 @ 06:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I love seeing articles about intelligence and IQ. For as important as it is, it's a topic many are very uncomfortable talking about.

The notion that intelligence was a lesser factor until recently was discussed by Charles Murray in Coming Apart. Previously, intelligence wasn't as selected for in marriage and child-rearing and, thus, children's intelligence (at least within races) was often down to luck. Today, however, people are self-segregating and mating based upon intelligence, which could have far-reaching future implications. You might even call it an "Ashkenazi" effect.

Some thoughts:

- I don't so much agree that employers are demanding excess intelligence for positions that don't require them; it's more that they require very specific experience that exactly matches the job description to a degree that might be counterproductive. They might be better off looking for generally intelligent candidates who could quickly learn the position rather than waiting longer to find a candidate that has 5+ years experience with every specific job requirement. Obviously jobs in particular professions require people within that profession. That said, I'm not sure you need someone with retail buying experience to make them a retail buyer, or office management experience to make them an office manager. You'd be better off hiring a smart person without experience and spending a few weeks teaching them instead of waiting 6 months to find somebody who's done it all before.

- I agree with the author that it often proves counter-intuitive to hire someone with high intellectual capacity for a minimum-wage sort of job that doesn't require a high level of thought. They'll get bored and either quit or not perform the job well.

- The author points out that many people would rather drive off a cliff than insult someone's race, sexuality, etc., yet will not hesitate to insult someone's intelligence. I find it fascinating that this is the case, yet trying to discuss intelligence and race is social suicide.

- The author rightly points out that, based upon clear IQ statistics, college is not for everyone. As such, the popular trope that what society needs is more college-educated people is illogical. We need less people going to college and more people going to trade school.

Last Online
    Monday, October 28th, 2019 @ 03:34 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Donauschwaben
    Subrace
    Keltic nordid/Alpinid
    State
    Danube Swabian Community Danube Swabian Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Mad scientist
    Politics
    Politically incorrect
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaxonCeorl View Post
    - The author rightly points out that, based upon clear IQ statistics, college is not for everyone. As such, the popular trope that what society needs is more college-educated people is illogical. We need less people going to college and more people going to trade school.

No. We need a complete reform of education, in a way that it wouldn't be so confined and simplistic.
    And automation, yes! I'll take robots over muzzies and bantus any time.
    Lieber tot als Sklave!

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    614 Posts
    This goes to most members of this form- Have you ever wished you took the blue pill?

I manage projects and labor. The kind of people I look for are people that can think on their feet and solve problems. Unfortunately these same type of people are very hard to manage and get them all going in the same direction at the same time. I don't need robots that are programed, I need people who can get the job done. The company I work for pays these thinkers more for their problem solving abilities than they do for people who just go out and do just enough to get a paycheck.

Sometimes I admire people who are ditch diggers or general laborers who have a simpler life. They work, pay their bills and raise their families. Often I think they are really the smart ones just for keeping it simple. These type of people are the backbone of any society or nation. Unfortunately these are the type of people that are getting replaced by third world immigrants. These people are the breeding stock of a nation.

The World Need Ditch Diggers, Too

If you are raising cattle you don't go in and starve all the good producing cows and expect a high return with good calves. I know that is a bad sounding euphuism, but I could not think of a better one atm as I look out my windows at all the cows with their calves.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single adult
    Religion
    Germanic Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    My brother, bless him, is not the sharpest tool in the box. Yet, he can build you just about anything, quote what it will cost and need at a quick glance too.. makes a decent amount of money doing it..but he hasn't the wisdom, foresight or intelligence to make it work for him and he never manages to capitalise on those skills and accrue wealth in real terms. The IQ difference between my brother and I is quite significant and sometimes we have trouble communicating because of that lol! His apolitical naivete is another thing entirely but since I know people smarter than I am who are even more so...

However even though my intelligence level is greater, I rarely make as much money and it is probably because I am far more anti-social, because my higher IQ tends to make me think beyond more basic themes, so it severely affects my ability to 'get on' (not that I'm averse to hard manual labour or anything, as I'm the same with more intellectually challenging roles) because I get quickly bored, irritated and depressed with things rather quickly. That and my inherently confrontational and reactionary manner towards illegitimate authority..

Ahh! The 'Blue Pill'..I often half-jokingly say to my missus that I wish I was blissfully ignorant..I don't of course in reality however depressing it can be..however I have a mix of pity and hatred for those that have taken the blue. What a pointless existence. Do they even know they are alive? Do they even want to live?

Last Online
    Thursday, September 7th, 2017 @ 12:29 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Germanic and Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles & Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Borreby x Nordic
    Country
    Other Other
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Gondolier
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    I dislike my intelligence. It does me nothing good so far, it just makes me bored all the time. People say to me I wasted my brain by not going to university. But I would have hated it and not enjoyed a professional career. Degrees that fit my academic interests are useless, anyway. Just buy a forged one on the dark net if neccessary.

Last Online
    Monday, October 28th, 2019 @ 03:34 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Donauschwaben
    Subrace
    Keltic nordid/Alpinid
    State
    Danube Swabian Community Danube Swabian Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Mad scientist
    Politics
    Politically incorrect
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Speaking of automation:

How does Starship robotic delivery work?

The comments section is fun

The youths are going to have a field day with these.
    Sure. You can't steal the package, just steal the entire robot.
    Lieber tot als Sklave!

Bloodhound
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Catterick View Post
    I dislike my intelligence. It does me nothing good so far, it just makes me bored all the time.
    How can a great mind get bored? In every aspect of life there are things to explore; it is usually the stupid ones who don't know what to do and are in need of constant outside distraction.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast