Last Online
    Monday, April 4th, 2016 @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post Ugly truth about Scottish intolerance

Ugly truth about Scottish intolerance

Racist, sexist and homophobic - the ugly attitudes of its people still stalk Scotland's corridors of power

Stephen Khan, Scotland editor
    Sunday October 5, 2003
    The Observer

For years Scots boasted that theirs was a tolerant and welcoming nation, free from the suspicion and insularity south of the border. Now, they are being forced to address a reality of gender stereotypes, racism and homophobia. To its horror, Scotland's civic elite has discovered that women, ethnic minorities and homosexuals must deal with attitudes and language deemed unacceptable in other parts of the UK since the 1970s.

The ugly face of Scotland is not only found in the sprawling housing schemes of Glasgow, where locals are coming to terms with the arrival of asylum seekers. Scottish intolerance is institutionalised, claim campaigners. They point to the journalists of the Scottish Football Writers' Association who last week voted against lifting a ban on women guests attending its annual dinner. They point to golf clubs that continue to exclude females.

The proud legal establishment does not escape. It is implementing the recommendations of a government report which deemed it was blighted by institutionalised racism. The devolved Parliament itself sits uneasily with an all-white membership.

It's all rather embarrassing for a nation that once believed it was the acceptable face of the British Empire. Scots have discovered that almost a third of their compatriots feel there is sometimes a 'good reason' for people to be prejudiced. A government survey found 10 per cent of the population would prefer not to have a black or Asian parliamentary representative.

The report showed that even more Scots (18 per cent) believe it would be unacceptable to be represented in parliament by a homosexual, while 30 per cent said gay or lesbian primary teachers were unsuitable for the job. Disabled primary teachers were given the thumbs down by 12 per cent of those questioned.

The figures have rocked Scotland's political elite, which had embarked upon a £1 million campaign to tackle racism but now faces claims that more must be done to haul attitudes into the twenty-first century. The Scottish Parliament spends hours debating matters of political correctness. It seems the population has very different ideas.

'When I moved to Edinburgh nearly 12 years ago I was shocked to hear the word Paki being banded about in a way that had become taboo years earlier south of the border,' said Mick Conboy of the Commission for Racial Equality Scotland.

In Scotland, two per cent of the population is of ethnic minority origin, compared to nearly eight per cent south of the border. 'People often don't realise they're saying something offensive and look perplexed when you stop them.'

A cafe in Ayrshire was recently reprimanded for carrying a menu which boasted that its banana fritters were 'better than the chinky's'. The cafe owners argued that they simply intended to claim their food was superior to the speciality dish of a nearby Chinese restaurant and had not intended to cause offence.

But Conboy added: 'It's not acceptable to say such views are down to a lack of immigration, because then the onus is on the minority groups. It's like blaming them for the racism they're subjected to.'

The problem extends beyond race. Scottish football writers refused to comment on a decision to keep women guests out of their annual dinner. They begged colleagues not to write about the move.

The National Union of Journalists lambasted the stance, which had been supported by many young members of the association. 'This attitude isn't even twentieth century, let alone twenty-first century. It's completely backward,' said a spokesman for the union.

The association's English equivalent also distanced itself from the policy. 'We have women members and we are quite happy to see women at our football writing events,' said Gerry Cox, president of the English Football Writers' Association.

The Scottish writers' policy was, according to the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC), symptomatic of gender stereotypes Scottish women are subjected to. 'There seem to be ingrained assumptions about what roles people should perform. This scenario with the football writers reflects that,' said Rona Fitzgerald of EOC Scotland. 'Outmoded assumptions do not just stereotype women. They also prevent men from following careers of their choice.'

It is less than four years since a heated debate over how schoolchildren should be taught about homosexuality. Then the newly established Parliament repealed legislation which forbade gay sex education.

Now Ali Jarvis, the director of Stonewall Scotland, wants a more direct strategy to combat discrimination against gay men and lesbians - who, she said, tend to be 'the invisible group'.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...056333,00.html
    And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 26th, 2004 @ 05:34 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Politics
    Creator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm quite proud to say i have scottish blood...

wOOt!! Good to hear lol ...

Sideways to the Sun
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, September 18th, 2008 @ 04:55 PM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Rebel
    Politics
    Anti-Neophilia
    Religion
    Traditional Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Demigorgona
    I'm quite proud to say i have scottish blood...

wOOt!! Good to hear lol ...
    What's really disgraceful is that so few now think such things are okay.
    The Scots are by nature a down-to-earth people. Prententious people are viewed with suspicion and soon cut down to size.
    While Scots often try to publicly appear Politically Correct and the establishment promotes Liberalism aggressively, most Scots become more un-PC when in more private circles.
    Of course the younger generation (particulary pretentious students) are always at the vanguard of trying to "shame" us about our "prejudices", but then they come in for a hard time too

I was speaking to a taxi-driver at the weekend who told me he was proudly racist and he threw a "paki" out of his car because of his colour.
    He believed that the Far-Right was going to make big gains here in a decades time.
    Also shocking was a well known sport's journalist writing in one of the biggest newspapers here that he wasn't being racist but PC had gone too far and that it was ridiculous to think immigration at current levels could be maintained and called for a halt to it.

The times may be a-changing...

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 @ 08:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandi
    Subrace
    Other
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    seeking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The article disgusted me. It seems now that as the rad-libs have largely "de-constructed" England, America, Canada, and South Africa, they are now moving on to Scotland and beyond. Their promotion of immigration is the same in principle as England's King Edward's (Longshanks) policy of "prima nocta" he inflicted on Scotland over 700 years ago. "The trouble with the Scots, is there are too many Scots" Longshanks is supposed to have said; the rad-libs now could not agree more. Immigration as was "prima nocta", is promoted to divide up the Scottish people and destroy them.

You can't get much lower than that.

It's good to hear the Scots have down to earth qualities. That is in their favor.
    Turman found a copy of The Graduate, and thought highly enough of the story that he made a movie he considered to be 90-percent faithful to the book.

But Turman and director Mike Nichols made one key adaptation, changing the Braddocks from WASP-y blonde characters into a dark-haired, more ethnic-looking family.

From NPR's Present at the Creation

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/patc/graduate/

http://www.norcalmovies.com/TheGraduate/tg11.jpg

Sideways to the Sun
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Rebel
    Politics
    Anti-Neophilia
    Religion
    Traditional Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I hadn't thought of that, but yes I think your not far off about the Prima Nocta.
    You'll find the more affluent people are more liberal while those from deprived and run down areas are more "earthy" and not afraid to say what they mean.
    However, I doubt the Scots are immune. Eventually they will be sucked into the whole "PC" idea as well.
    But they may hold out longer than most...hopefully!

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Scandi
    Subrace
    Other
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    seeking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes..hopefully.

The immigration thing is the whole key to this at the immediate time. The rad-libs know that..too many of our everyday people do not
    Turman found a copy of The Graduate, and thought highly enough of the story that he made a movie he considered to be 90-percent faithful to the book.

But Turman and director Mike Nichols made one key adaptation, changing the Braddocks from WASP-y blonde characters into a dark-haired, more ethnic-looking family.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Scandi
    Subrace
    Other
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    seeking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And I ought to have added good to see you back Milesian!

Sideways to the Sun
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Rebel
    Politics
    Anti-Neophilia
    Religion
    Traditional Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gladstone
    And I ought to have added good to see you back Milesian!
    Ah, very kind of you to say so, sir.
    and a pleasure it is to be back here with intelligent folk such as your good self.
    hopefully I can catch up soon and continue our enlightening discussion

Last Online
    Sunday, November 23rd, 2003 @ 06:15 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Politics
    Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How can one blame the scotts for feeling like they do..
    The fact that they believe in their culture is somthing to be proud of.. considering that it is bieng slowly erroded by liberal "corruption" who believe that culture is akin to racism. I for one stand with the scotts and their belief of independence.
    P.S. Who in there right mind would want to be represented by a different nationality than your own!