Thread: Major Work: 'Indo-European Origins: The Anthropological Evidence' - J. V. Day (2001)

Last Online
    Monday, January 9th, 2006 @ 08:40 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Luxembourg Luxembourg
    n/a
    Religion
    Doughty Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Major Work: 'Indo-European Origins: The Anthropological Evidence' - J. V. Day (2001)

A comprehensive and objective survey of one of the hottest subjects around -- the racial origins of the Aryans!

John V. Day’s INDO-EUROPEAN ORIGINS: THE ANTHROPOLOGICAL EVIDENCE (Institute for the Study of Man, Washington DC, 2001; ISBN 0-941694-75-5).

This pioneering book of 570 pages and 2,600 references took five years to research and write. For the first time ever a full-length monograph examines all the hypotheses from the last 200 years that use anthropological evidence to locate the prehistoric origins of the ancient Aryans or Indo-Europeans.

Read this book and you’ll learn where and how long ago the Aryans originally lived, how they and their descendants managed to expand across most of two continents, which ancient civilizations they helped to launch, and whether they eventually died out or live on today.

Prof. Victor Mair, co-author of THE TARIM MUMMIES, said of this book: “It is a truly remarkable and valuable piece of work. You have invested an enormous amount of energy in bringing together a vast amount of solid data. It is only through rigorous marshalling of the evidence (such as you have done in your book) that we can begin to know what really happened in the past. I salute you for your bravery, your determination, your exactitude, your thoroughness, and your impartiality.”

Among other accomplishments and findings, this book . . .

• Shows that our ideals of beauty have been shaped by natural selection, and that Caucasian men have evolved to favour women who have milky skin and light-coloured hair (pages 69-72).
    • Quotes a Harvard professor who believes that present-day Middle Easterners regard blue eyes as “evil and dangerous” (page 74).
    • Reveals that over 2000 years ago a sharp-eyed observer in northern India claimed that upper-class men had fair skins and reddish-brown hair (pages 80-82).
    • Analyses why Homer depicts important Greek heroes as fair-haired (pages 87-92).
    • Records the early Roman emperors who had light hair and blue eyes (pages 102-106).
    • Discusses early Celtic heroes in Irish literature and their typically light hair (pages 107-113).
    • Evaluates the 2500-year-old Iranian “Archer Frieze” that portrays some Iranian men with blue eyes (pages 134-137).
    • Examines Buddhist murals painted over 1000 years ago in northwest China that portray Indo-European “Tocharians” with light hair and light eyes (pages 137-140).
    • Uses skeletal evidence to prove that Caucasians reached northwest China by at least 1800 BC, even before Mongoloids arrived there (pages 190-194).
    • Studies the light-haired, and perhaps light-eyed, prehistoric Caucasian mummies from northwest China (pages 351-355).
    • Combines genetic and pigmentary evidence to establish that most present-day people in northern India are not descended from Aryans (pages 271-275, 348-350).

If you want a scholarly book written in plain English that surveys 10,000 years of forgotten history in Europe and Asia, integrating the findings of linguistics, archaeology, textual and artistic analysis, genetics and skeletal biology, then order INDO-EUROPEAN ORIGINS: THE ANTHROPOLOGICAL EVIDENCE today.

Available for $68.00 from: http://www.jies.org/DOCS/mono14.html

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 06:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Yes, the Greeks and Romans both were of Nordic inspiration. At the start of every expansion of every Indo-European people, Slavs, Italics, Greeks, Germans, Celts, Iranians, Aryan Indians, and all those peoples whose language and culture are now extint----at the beginning of their expansion the most common physical type was the Nordic. One can clearly see this in Greek and Roman art work. The Greeks came in three waves from the Balkans. The first invasion was about three generations before the heros of Homer and displaced the Minoans who occupied the hill forts in Greece at the time. The Italics likewise came from the north. I am a little unclear about their exact history but they certainly spoke an Indo-European language as we all know.

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 28th, 2007 @ 02:56 PM
    Subrace
    Corded/UP
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Apolitical
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Indo-European Origins: the Anthropological Evidence

Day's tentative conclusions are that the PIE speakers came from small, sparse populations that established themselves by migration and elite dominance in various regions of Eurasia. They were characterized by light pigmentation of skin and hair and originated on the Eurasian steppes.

Anyone got acces to this book? Dalonord?

Indo-European Origins: the Anthropological Evidence. (Book Review) Robert R. Sokal.

Full Text: COPYRIGHT 2002 University of Chicago Press

By John V Day. Washington (DC): The Institute for the Study of Man. $68.00 (paper). xxiv + 546 p; ill.; no index. ISBN: 0-941694-75-5. 2001.

This is an ambitious and unusual book. The author has set himself the task of collecting and summarizing 200 years worth of research on the Indo-European (IE) problem by scholars from diverse disciplines. Comparative linguistics leaves us in little doubt that in prehistoric times there existed a population that spoke a Proto-Indo-European (PIE) language ancestral to nearly 150 living languages dominating Europe, and widely distributed throughout West and South Asia. Who were these ancient PIE speakers, when and where did they live, and by what processes did their descendant languages arrive at their present locations?

In successive chapters the author lists and discusses evidence from linguistics, textual and artistic sources, and biological anthropology (dermatoglyphics, cranioskeletal studies, and genetics). Some of the biological findings are quite up to date, although the intensive current research in this area will rapidly outdate them.

One difficulty of studying IE origins is the complexity of the concept. The author points out the noncongruence of several aspects of ancient populations in Europe. These would include archeological, biological, cultural, and linguistic criteria. These criteria yield only partially overlapping classifications of their constituent populations. One statement or investigation about Indo-Europeans may refer to linguistic characters, yet incautious readers may transfer the inference to biological characteristics of the populations. Although the author is well aware of these complexities, it is not always easy to recognize which aspect of the IE puzzle he refers to in his accounts.

The discussion focuses on four population-dynamic processes, all of which can lead to language change: in situ divergence; demic diffusion; elite dominance and folk migration, the two being opposite ends of a continuous spectrum of population movements; and contact-induced language shift. The author postulates expectations for each type of evidence under each of the above models and draws conclusions from the results of numerous cognate studies.

The structure and scope of this book raise an important question for researchers who want to test hypotheses by summarizing numerous experiments and other results. In fields such as clinical trials, where the hypotheses are more narrowly defined, meta-analysis has become established as the procedure of choice. Some new type of meta-analysis has yet to be developed for data, such as the ones in this book, ranging from descriptions in ancient works of variable reliability to conclusions reached from sophisticated statistical analyses of carefully designed studies. Absent such procedures, it is difficult to interpret the often contradictory evidence from several disciplines.

An added problem arises from the possibility of misinterpreting the results of the reported findings. I am unable to evaluate this in disciplines in which I have no expertise, but as an example of the dangers inherent in such a multifarious study, I can cite the treatment of synthetic surfaces in Chapter 9. The author references my work on synthetic surfaces (on page 240) without reporting the gist of my findings that the interpolation of unbalanced data matrices invalidates the maps based on them, because even random patterns when treated in this manner yield trends that invite interpretation. He not only goes ahead and uses the synthetic maps of the first three principal component maps as evidence, but also discusses the evidence from the next four components that even their authors do not consider seriously. Since the author cites the impressive total of over 2,600 references, one wonders how many others might be misinterpreted.

Day's tentative conclusions are that the PIE speakers came from small, sparse populations that established themselves by migration and elite dominance in various regions of Eurasia. They were characterized by light pigmentation of skin and hair and originated on the Eurasian steppes. Because of the many references cited in the text, the book in places makes for wearisome reading. It suffers also from the lack of an index. Nevertheless, this volume is an invaluable compendium for anyone interested in or researching the IE problem and I, for one, will certainly consult it in the future.

ROBERT R SOKAL, Ecology & Evolution, State University of New York, Stony Brook, New York

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

He-he. Am I the library of this forum?

Anyway, our library doesn't have it here. Probably isn't PC enough or doesn't fit in the the long term diversity plan here at the college.

However, I did locate a copy at the University of Pennsylvania and requested it through interlibrary loan. I read it and it is quite informative. I have only two criticisms: 1. the unending citations in the middle of the text makes it a bit difficult to read and 2. there is no index.

I have since returned the book but while it was in my possession I photocopied the whole bloody thing! Likely violating some copyright regulations in the process.

I've been thinking of ways in which I can make it accessible to others who would wish to read it. Any thoughts anyone?

I would certainly recommend it to anyone interested in European racial history.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Corded/UP
    Country
    Apolitical
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, are there any pages that are particularly attractive?

Perhaps you could scan them and post them on that Yahoo group?

Obviously, you could only do that with a few pages, but still...

Last Online
    Subrace
    Corded/UP
    Country
    Apolitical
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Needless to say, I am most interested in the Kurganid skeletal remains, and the steppe physical types in general.

If you could dig something up from the book that would be fantastic.

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Sure, I'll see what I can dig up. I won't have the use of a scanner until Monday but by then, I may have some info for you.

It's a good book and I suggest to anyone, if they can get their hands on it, curl up in front of the fire and have a good read about our PIE fore-folk.