State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Nigerian Satellite Blasts Into Orbit

LAGOS, Nigeria - A Nigerian satellite blasted into orbit Saturday aboard a Russian rocket, propelling one of the poorest nations on earth into space for the first time.

Millions of Nigerians watched the launch — at Russia's Plesetsk Cosmodrome — on live television. "It makes me proud to be a Nigerian," said Prosper Sunday, a 27-year-old security guard in Lagos. "It shows our nation is progressing. We've joined the space age."

(No, this is the same black lack of priorities I see everyday. They're poor, starving, with a corrupt government and instead of taking care of these problems, they're trying to impress us with their space program. It's the same thing with the ghetto mamas who have 5 kids but can't feed them, instead they go to the hair salon to get a weave put in. No priorities.)

The government plans to use the $13 million satellite to monitor water resources, soil erosion, deforestation and disasters, space agency spokesman Solomon Olaniyi told The Associated Press.

It will be used to watch military facilities and the country's oil pipelines and infrastructure. Nigeria is one of the world's largest exporters of oil, but thieves siphon off hundreds of thousands of barrels everyday.

"It's a great feat for Nigeria," said Joseph Akinyede of the National Space Research and Development Agency, based in the capital, Abuja. "We have a footprint in space."

On Earth, Nigeria is struggling to provide 132 million citizens with clean water, basic health services and education. Most villages outside state capitals have no running water or electricity, 70 percent of the country's roads are dirt tracks, and over 30 percent of the population is illiterate. Per capita income is about $290, and less than one percent have telephones, according to the World Bank.

"The satellite is a waste of money," said 21-year-old Gabriel Mordi, selling mobile phone cards on a dusty street in Lagos, a city that is a colossal sprawl of millions of rusting tin-roof shacks and palm trees. "They should be helping the poor. Most people here are just struggling to find something to eat."

In the northern city of Kano, barber Adamu Ahmed, 27, who was shaving a man in a blue-flowing robe on a sweltering street, said he was unaware of the launch since he had no radio or TV. "They haven't told us much about space," he said. "I've heard of people going to the moon, but I don't know how they got there."

(The bird god Oonpogo grabbed them up with his beak and carried them in his stomach)

The word for satellite is "tauraru danadam," which means "human moon" in the local Hausa language. The Nigerian government hopes one day to build and launch its own satellites.

***The NigeriaSat-1 was produced by British-based company, Surrey Satellite Technology, with the help of Nigerian technicians trained in Britain, Olaniyi said. The Russian Kosmos-3M rocket that lifted off from Plesetsk Cosmodrome with NigeriaSat-1 carried five other satellites with it — two from Russia, and one each from Turkey, Britain and South Korea.***

(I knew from looking it wasn't Nigerian-made, because it wasn't constructed of cow dung or sponsored by FUBU.)

A team of 15 Nigerian scientists and engineers will control their country's satellite from a ground station in Abuja during its five to seven year life-span, Olaniyi said.

(Translation: they scraped together the only 15 guys in the country with an IQ over 100.)

Last Online
    Monday, April 4th, 2016 @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Don't you think you are getting too old for this boring nigganigganigga rap, Magyar Mouth Mutant?

That's what Stormfront is for.
    Last edited by Phlegethon; Sunday, September 28th, 2003 at 03:36 PM.
    And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Last Online
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007 @ 10:29 AM
    Subrace
    nordiſch-weſtiſch
    Single
    Politics
    Volk und Raſſe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon
    Don't you think you are getting too old for this boring nigganigganigga rap, Magyar Mouth Mutant?
    Oh come, she lives in a place with 88% Negro population (at least in the city district). Berlin-Neukölln and Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg are Aryan's paradise, compared with that.

Last Online
    Monday, April 4th, 2016 @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tryggviulf
    Oh come, she lives in a place with 88% Negro population (at least in the city district). Berlin-Neukölln and Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg are Aryan's paradise, compared with that.
    She is old enough to get out of Motown. To me it is a complete mystery why anyone (black or white - or any other skin color for that matter) would want to live there.
    And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 06:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Post Re: Nigerian Satellite Blasts Into Orbit

How about putting together a list of people we would like to see as astronauts on Nigeria's first manned flight?