Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Lightbulb White Trash: The Construction of an American Scapegoat

White Trash: The Construction of an American Scapegoat

Equality is simultaneously the greatest accomplishment and worst failure of America. It is the place where idealism and reality come to blows in American culture. Despite the glossy veneer of "political correctness" which has been painted over the rust and corrosion of centuries of racism and classism, the enduring American necessity for a social "other" has chosen working class whites as the focal scapegoat of our time. This site explores the general treatment of working class whites in the media -- comics, literature, film and television; dealing in depth with the areas of religion, race relations, work and lifestyle in defining working class whites as a unique social culture.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~MA97/price/open.htm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frans_Jozef For This Useful Post:

Renewed
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Country
    United States United States
    Jaded
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Re: Working Class Whites

Interesting link, but I have trouble making the connection that the writer is trying to make because I do not equate the working class with "white trash." To me, they are seperate groups of people. The writer has words on the site such as "hillbilly," "trailer trash," "redneck," etc. I see these as distinctly different groups, defined by much more than just income level. Some working class may be in one of the above gorups, but I wouldn't say that the working class as a whole fits into these categories. Also there are those in these groups, who wouldn't even fit into the working class.
    "I do not know what horrified me most at that time: the economic misery of my companions, their moral and ethical coarseness, or the low level of their intellectual development." Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

4. The Following User Says Thank You to QuietWind For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 06:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Tydal/Litorid/Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Identitär
    Religion
    Indo-europeisk Traditionalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    Interesting link, but I have trouble making the connection that the writer is trying to make because I do not equate the working class with "white trash." To me, they are seperate groups of people. The writer has words on the site such as "hillbilly," "trailer trash," "redneck," etc. I see these as distinctly different groups, defined by much more than just income level. Some working class may be in one of the above gorups, but I wouldn't say that the working class as a whole fits into these categories. Also there are those in these groups, who wouldn't even fit into the working class.
    I do agree. An important aspect is however that "white trash"-types are very over-represented in mainstream media, as compared to normal white working class. In doing this, the media creates an illusion of reality, that is filled with bigoted and ignorant white trash, very few normal white workers, many nice and tolerant middle class whites, and many decent minorities.

I once did a summary on Jim Goads Redneck Manifesto, found here:
    http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=31133

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oskorei For This Useful Post:

Renewed
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Country
    United States United States
    Jaded
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oskorei
    I do agree. An important aspect is however that "white trash"-types are very over-represented in mainstream media, as compared to normal white working class. In doing this, the media creates an illusion of reality, that is filled with bigoted and ignorant white trash, very few normal white workers, many nice and tolerant middle class whites, and many decent minorities.

I once did a summary on Jim Goads Redneck Manifesto, found here:
    http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=31133
    I agree with what you say about the media. It seems that every television show centered around the lives of a working class family, use trashy whites for their examples. I can't stand shows like this. I fail to see the humor in them.
    "I do not know what horrified me most at that time: the economic misery of my companions, their moral and ethical coarseness, or the low level of their intellectual development." Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

8. The Following User Says Thank You to QuietWind For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 06:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Tydal/Litorid/Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Identitär
    Religion
    Indo-europeisk Traditionalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    I agree with what you say about the media. It seems that every television show centered around the lives of a working class family, use trashy whites for their examples. I can't stand shows like this. I fail to see the humor in them.
    Same here. It's like Jim Goad puts it: "Everybody needs a n***r". Everybody needs a social group that can function as a scapegoat, and with the growth of "anti-racism", the only group that it is still permitted to look down upon, is the poor whites.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oskorei For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Friday, March 25th, 2016 @ 08:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt Australian
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordic
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Victoria Victoria
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Guerilla Philosopher
    Politics
    Aristotelian Nationalist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Speaking of class, has anyone read 'Class: A Guide to the American Status System' by Paul Fussell? I recieved it for Christmas, definetly worth reading. I found it both hilarious and disturbing at the same time. According to Fussell, I was born into an upper-middle class household and I fit into category X.
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream at night, in the dusky recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams, with open eyes, to make it possible.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Useful Post:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 06:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    The only large groups of people in America I would deem to be "White trash", are the Italians and Mexicans--not any of the folks who constituted the formation of this country, unless all the off-White Blacks, the mixed race bastards like Obama, are acknowledged as White trash and there are many, unfortunately, first because of the slave plantations and second, because of chimps raping Massa's wife and daughters. Flotsam and jetsam wash up on our shores. These unwashed masses, these Dago Wetbacks off the boats, ought to get back to where they belong if they take an issue with us. Insulting one's host is barbarian and uncivilised. How typical for Mediterranean elitists to completely dismiss our society and culture as unworthy of respect, since their Borgia Papacy supposedly gave them the Indies when they were "partitioned" between Spain and Portugal. I'm wondering if Cabot's claim of Newfoundland for England was conditional upon Henry VIII marrying Catherine of Aragon and if so, that was outrageous. If only the Axis Powers treated other countries according to their Eurasian partition plan in the same way that Anglo-Americans are treated by the bicoastal menace of Latin and Hispanic wings of the Roman Catholic Legions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tordesillas
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_p...vision_of_Asia