Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seaxneat: A God unique to the Saxons?

Last Online
    Friday, June 18th, 2010 @ 01:54 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Vandalic
    Ancestry
    Reidgotalandic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Saxnot/Seaxneat appears as the son of Woden in the genealogy of the kings of Essex, and is undoubtedly a Saxon tribal god. But it is not clear whether the second element of his name means *companion* or refers to *sacrificial cattle*.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 29th, 2012 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo - Saxon.
    Ancestry
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    [Psychologist]
    Politics
    Patriotic
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Most of the early Royal lines in AS England end up with Woden ... but significantly , not all. It is interesting given that those Saxons who did migrate from the north came here with Woden and his son Thor.... we have their place names. But back in Germany, further to the south perhaps....other traditions continued. After all, several hundred years before, Tacitus spelt it out that Germania was full of different local deities. It took the Norse to sort it out and tidy it up

Then we had a dose of Grims arriving......

Last Online
    Friday, April 27th, 2012 @ 08:33 PM
    Ethnicity
    anglo-welsh
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    History Teacher
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    Asatruer/Vanatruer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

interesting thread

What an interesting thread this is. I think that most people find out about the Asatru and Vanatru by first discovering the Norse names and many, like me, who are of Anglo-Saxon descent wish to discover the Germanic names for the gods who they have come to know by their Norse names. I still tend to think Thor, Odin etc much of the time rather than Thunor or Woden. Mind you, it is not drastically important in my opinion unless one needs to look them up in a phone book.
    It is, as already pointed out, a bit of a poser when confronted by a name for which there seems no obvious Norse counterpart as seems to be the case with Saexneat. I think that there must have been so many local deities that it is expected that names will only be known to one peoples and not others. The Anglo-Saxons will have expected to find gods local to Britain when they came here.
    As an Anglo-Celt, I also have to try and reconcile the Celtic deities with the heathen world and I personally think that Vanaheim was near to Britain, close to the home of the elves. This leads me on to think that the Celtic deities were in fact the Vanir.
    Thoughts???
    Another one I have wondered about is Wayland Smith. I take him to be Germanic but does he have any Norse equivalent?

wasshael

Last Online
    Monday, July 16th, 2012 @ 01:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Tree Wizard
    Religion
    Wotanist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arthor View Post
    Another one I have wondered about is Wayland Smith. I take him to be Germanic but does he have any Norse equivalent?
    In Germanic mythology, Wayland the Smith (Old English: Wēland; Old Norse: Völundr, Velentr; Old High German: Wiolant; Proto-Germanic: *Wēlandaz) is a legendary smith. In Old Norse sources, Völundr appears in Völundarkviða, a poem in the Poetic Edda, and in Þiðrekssaga, and his legend is also depicted on the Ardre image stone VIII. In Old English sources, he appears in Deor, Waldere and in Beowulf and the legend is depicted on the Franks Casket. The only German source that mentions him is Der grosse Rosengarten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_the_Smith
    And, King Nidud is Mimir..

Later,
    -Lyfing

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, July 26th, 2012 @ 04:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    England, France, Eastern Canada (sword); Germany, Poland, Russian (spindle)
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    British Columbia British Columbia
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Grocer
    Religion
    Germanic Belief
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As has already been noted, Seaxneat is NOT the progenitor of the Royal House of Essex, but rather another prolific son of Woden; in the same class as Baeldaeg or Sceaf or Geat or even the more Ingic Merovech.

As for the notion that Woden replaced anyone, it must be remembered that it was the Westphalia Saxons who erected the Irminsul. And Widukind the Monk said the Irminsul was named for Hermes but worshipped as Mars. The confusion between Hermes-Mercurius and Mars clearly points to Woden rather than Tiw. Moreover, in the Eddas, the name Jormun, the North Germanic cognate of the Saxon Eorman and Irmin, is listed as one of Woden's bynames.

It is further stated in Snorri's preface that Woden came first to Germany, the lands of the "Irminones" or "tribes of Irmin", where he founded lines of kings before moving on into Ingvaeonic Sweden and his Eddic encounter with the Yngling, King Gylfi.

The Saxons, and particularly the Westphalian Saxons were Irminones; probably before they were even Saxons ... which is not a tribal name but more like a tribal confederation made up of many tribes. So, Woden didn't replace Seaxneat. More likely, Woden fostered Seaxneat and a Saxon identity emerged from his deeds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12