View Poll Results: Who here is Frisian or partly Frisian

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am predominantly/fully Frisian

26 33.33%
  • Yes, I am partially Frisian (less than 3/4)

21 26.92%
  • I am insignificantly Frisian

12 15.38%
  • No, I have no Frisian ancestry

19 24.36%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Here Is Frisian or Part Frisian?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Do people in Germany or people from Ost-Friesland themselves consider Ost-Friesland as Frisian as the Saterfrisian and the northern frisian regions? I was wondering this because linguistically Ost-Friesland is considered Saxon most of the times.

I have no Frisian ancestry or family by the way. Although... there are theories that the earliest Franks were a bunch of ancient Frisians (and Chauki). They had not much in common with the later Frisians though.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    A distant ancestor might have been a Frisian, it would explain the regular incidence of horse-faced individuals in my family. It is equally possible that said ancestor was Lipizzaner or Haflinger, though.

Oh wait, wrong type of Frisian ... nope, no Frisian ancestry I know of. Westphalian ancestry yes, but no ancestor was a seaside dweller, not even plains dwellers actually. Mountainfolk and Hillside folk, we are, through and through.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Sunday, August 19th, 2012 @ 11:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    My ancestor Jan Evertsen was from Emden.

Anyone know where this "Loockeren" is in Emden?

Last Online
    Friday, September 17th, 2010 @ 04:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    scando-friso
    Ancestry
    frisia and scandinavia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Friesland Friesland
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    large business owner
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    chritisian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am full frisian. and yes i do want a united frisia! (: frisia is north germanic not like the dutch in my eyes.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nordfrisk View Post
    I am full frisian. and yes i do want a united frisia! (: frisia is north germanic not like the dutch in my eyes.
    In what way is Frisia north Germanic? Danes, Norwegians, Swedes, Icelandics and people from the Faeroer isles are north Germanic. Frisians however are not.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 4th, 2018 @ 02:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I am insignificantly Frisian; I have a single ancestor from Tönning (or Taning, as the people in question call it). While in Amsterdam, she married a man from Limburg and settled in the New Netherland colony.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    scando-friso
    Ancestry
    frisia and scandinavia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Friesland Friesland
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    large business owner
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    chritisian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
    In what way is Frisia north Germanic? Danes, Norwegians, Swedes, Icelandics and people from the Faeroer isles are north Germanic. Frisians however are not.
    I mean culturally we are more related to the scandinavian then the dutchman. our language however is a lot older than dutch,, much similar to old english and in some links old icelandic

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nordfrisk View Post
    I mean culturally we are more related to the scandinavian then the dutchman. our language however is a lot older than dutch,, much similar to old english and in some links old icelandic
    Although I don't know that much about the Frisians, I actually doubt that the Frisians have more in common with scandinavians. Frisians in the Netherlands are part of the Dutch nation and they live closer to other Dutch people than to any of the scandinavian countries. They share a history with the rest of the Netherlands and not with scandinavia. How could it be that Frisian culture would be more related to scandinavian culture than to other dutch cultures? Ethnically, culturally and linguistically they are part of the Dutch-German continuum in my eyes.

Frisian isn't older than Dutch by the way. Standardized Frisian is younger than standardized Dutch and when it comes to dialects you can't say that one of them is older, because languages and dialects constantly evolve. In the end both Dutch and Frisian descend from proto-germanic.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    scando-friso
    Ancestry
    frisia and scandinavia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Friesland Friesland
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    large business owner
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    chritisian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
    Although I don't know that much about the Frisians, I actually doubt that the Frisians have more in common with scandinavians. Frisians in the Netherlands are part of the Dutch nation and they live closer to other Dutch people than to any of the scandinavian countries. They share a history with the rest of the Netherlands and not with scandinavia. How could it be that Frisian culture would be more related to scandinavian culture than to other dutch cultures? Ethnically, culturally and linguistically they are part of the Dutch-German continuum in my eyes.
    that is where you are confused. many times dutch culture is the "commercial" culture of the netherlands much like how "bavaria" is the culture culture of germany with all the lederhosen, alps, and bier. however frisians live a lifestyle by the sea and have an entirely different cultural cuisine, dress, way of life, and an entirely different culture that unites us from the netherlands, to northern germany, to denmark... we share these identities. we are similar to the scandinavians because we have a common history seadwellers of whome both ruled the north sea at times and once frisian was one of the major languages of the trading system in the nordic countries. we were with the scandinavians the last to resist the tides of christianity and remain traditional germanic heathens and still to this day practice many of the old traditions. our culture is very unique.

however yes we are placed sometimes on the dutch-german continuem or west germanic languages however our language is only that way because it has been a minority language in 3 different countries for centuries to the point that west east and north frisian is harder to understand amongst the mainstream original frisian language that was one of its own. i say frisian is old because it is a very slowly evolving language due to a lack of native speakers,, only maybe a million or less speak the frisian language and less and less are teaching it to there children,, soon to probably be extinct.

Frisian isn't older than Dutch by the way. Standardized Frisian is younger than standardized Dutch and when it comes to dialects you can't say that one of them is older, because languages and dialects constantly evolve. In the end both Dutch and Frisian descend from proto-germanic.
    im pretty sure every germanic language comes from "proto-germanic" doesn't make it any the same. also i would like to campare the fact that frisians are more genetically similar to that of the scandinavians mostly due to a shared viking history shared trade ideals, customs. even surnames that sound very much of scandinavian origin are indeed very very common here is friesland such as Jansen, janssen, claassen, anderzen, knutzen, the whole -sen, -ssen from father naming process.

Last Online
    Saturday, February 25th, 2012 @ 04:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Frisian
    Ancestry
    Frisian
    Subrace
    Friterpian
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    North Holland North Holland
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Philosophy Student
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Traditionalist Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My father's line is Frisian (once noble farmers in the Wâlden area), my mother's line is more generally Dutch.

I agree with Nordfrisk in that the Frisians have a strong historical connection with Norway and Danmark, as well as with England, because of the North Sea trade. I believe it is also true that linguistically there seems to be some minor Scandinavian influence in Old Frisian (it does have a certain Scandinavian ring to it, as I hear it) and conversely it has been argued that the Norse god Forseti may be of Frisian origin. Also, in Viking times Danes have ruled parts of Friesland. Saxo Grammaticus' Danish History and Beowulf's Finnsburg episode suggest that notable contacts existed several centuries before that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast