Religion
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Question Geography of German-Speaking Areas, ca. 1807

Greetings All,

I'm having a hell-of-a-time finding some towns/villages/cities/areas/etc. in the old German-speaking areas of Europe, ca. 1807. Perhaps some good-hearted person among you could help me, please. For the life of me, I can't locate on any MODERN! map (I do have some old maps, but they're in storage, sadly) I've seen the below places (note: some of these are Anglicized names--this makes it even harder, of course):
    1. Hein, a place under the control then of the Prince of Esenburg...I can't find Esenburg either.
    2. Oberrode, under the rule of the Prince of Primate(?)...I don't have a clue about the latter either.
    3. Federsheim, under the rule of France.
    4. Witgenstein, under the rule of the Count of Witgenstein...this one seems SO! familiar to me I can't stand it! lol, but I can't find it on a modern map.
    5. Mehrenhausen, under the Prince of Waldeck (would anyone happen to know if this Waldeck is the same Waldeck that is SW of Kassel?)
    6. Lützeh, somewhere within the bounds of the 'Empire of Germany' (whatever the hell that was supposed to mean in 1807!
    7. Pyrmont (sounds Greek/Latin-like), under the rule of the Prince of Waldeck.
    8. Niederwarholdern, under the rule of the Prince of Waldeck.
    9. Lügde, under the 'Empire of Germany.'
    10. Rheinbreitbach, under the 'Empire of Germany.' Somewhere in the Reinland, perhaps.
    11. Seinaltkirchen, under the 'Empire of Germany.'
    12. Dickheim, ruled by France.
    13. Gutach, under the 'Empire of Germany.'
    14. Dirkheim, under the 'Empire of Germany.'
    15. Usingen, under the 'Empire of Germany.'
    16. Laiselheim, ruled by France.
    17. Delfeld, ruled by France.
    18. Montebauer, under the 'Empire of Germany.'
    19. Osnabruck, under the 'Empire of Germany.'
    I'm weak on the history of this era, too. Obviously, Napoleon was involved in many of these places; so, this makes locating some of these places all the more difficult, methinks.

THANKS beforehand for the HELP!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to +Suomut+ For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007 @ 10:29 AM
    Subrace
    nordiſch-weſtiſch
    Single
    Politics
    Volk und Raſſe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I havn't got much time in te moment to read and write here, so I'll only post now the towns I know without looking on a map. I'll look up the other stuff and post it in one or two days:

- Waldeck is indeed the town near Kassel.

- Pyrmont is today Bad Pyrmont, in the near of Osnabrück, if I remember correctly.

- Montebauer is today in German spelled Montabaur. It's a not too big town at the river Rhine, in the near of Koblenz, if I remember correctly.

- Osnabrück is a quite big city in Southern Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony), near to the border of Nordrhein-Westfalen. You should find it on maps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordgau For This Useful Post:

. "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Religion
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Thumbs Up Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Tryggviulf
    I havn't got much time in te moment to read and write here, so I'll only post now the towns I know without looking on a map. I'll look up the other stuff and post it in one or two days:

- Waldeck is indeed the town near Kassel.

- Pyrmont is today Bad Pyrmont, in the near of Osnabrück, if I remember correctly.

- Montebauer is today in German spelled Montabaur. It's a not too big town at the river Rhine, in the near of Koblenz, if I remember correctly.

- Osnabrück is a quite big city in Southern Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony), near to the border of Nordrhein-Westfalen. You should find it on maps.

Thank You, Thorburnulf! I appreciate it, sir.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to +Suomut+ For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007 @ 10:29 AM
    Subrace
    nordiſch-weſtiſch
    Single
    Politics
    Volk und Raſſe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Here's a link of a sort of roadmap page: Klick on "Suchformular", then type the name of the town you look for in "Ort", and then a list appears with the towns direct to the side of the town you look for and the distance to it. When you then click on "Liste/Karte", a regional map apears. When the town you look for is too small only the bigger, nearer towns appear, but it's easy to localize what one is looking for with the list and the map.

This complicated crap is still the best page I found now if one wants to look for certain towns of which one only has the name.

http://www.yellowmap.de/GemeindeNav/...rteDgesamt.htm

"Witgenstein" is written Wittgenstein and is located near Bad Berleburg (North-Rhine Westphalia, direct at the border to Hesse), and "Lützeh"... hmm... the spelling is quite odd. Could it be Lützen between Leipzig and Weißenburg?

Don't be reserved to ask if there ae still some towns let after the use of that map page. Then I'll look in a proper roadmap for that what's left.

BTW: The name Pyrmont is from the Latin Petri mons (Petersberg), because the origin of the town is a castle with this name which the archbishop of Cologne founded in the 12th century.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordgau For This Useful Post:

. "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Religion
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Smile Thank You

Here's a link of a sort of roadmap page: Klick on "Suchformular", then type the name of the town you look for in "Ort", and then a list appears with the towns direct to the side of the town you look for and the distance to it. When you then click on "Liste/Karte", a regional map apears. When the town you look for is too small only the bigger, nearer towns appear, but it's easy to localize what one is looking for with the list and the map.

This complicated crap is still the best page I found now if one wants to look for certain towns of which one only has the name.

http://www.yellowmap.de/GemeindeNav/HTML/AllgSuche/KarteDgesamt.htm

"Witgenstein" is written Wittgenstein and is located near Bad Berleburg (North-Rhine Westphalia, direct at the border to Hesse), and "Lützeh"... hmm... the spelling is quite odd. Could it be Lützen between Leipzig and Weißenburg?

Don't be reserved to ask if there ae still some towns let after the use of that map page. Then I'll look in a proper roadmap for that what's left.

BTW: The name Pyrmont is from the Latin Petri mons (Petersberg), because the origin of the town is a castle with this name which the archbishop of Cologne founded in the 12th century.

Thank you, Thorburnulf! You're a real pal!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to +Suomut+ For This Useful Post: