Thread: Invest in Iraq?

Invest in Iraq?

http://betoniraq.com/

What if?
    Let's say you decide to err on the side of Iraqi prosperity. You take advantage of the 100 year low value and buy 2 million Iraqi dinars. You look them over, admire them, and show them to some friends as a curiosity. The security features alone will have them enthralled. Then you stick them in a closet and go about your life.

A few years from now, you see a program on A&E portraying the lives of average Iraqis. You see people drinking locally bottled, genuine Pepsi Cola; not the ersatz they'd been consuming for years. They are buying their cars from Baghdad Mitsubishi.

Their highly educated engineers, no longer waiting tables or driving cabs, are engineering. The world's 2nd largest oil reserve is producing more efficiently. Higher quality crops are being harvested, in larger numbers.

You discover that things are going well enough in Iraq to have raised the value of the the dinar to one US cent.

Your $2100 purchase would now be valued at $20,000.

If the dinar were to climb to a dime, you've got two hundred thousand dollars in your closet. What if it were to reach a dollar? Or rebound to it's peak of over $3.00? Do you dare continue to keep your dinars in the closet?

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 25th, 2006 @ 12:37 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No thanks. I think I'd rather invest in something that is worthwhile.
    http://tinypic.com/fuud54.jpg
    For the first time in my life a feeling of overpowering stinging melancholy seized me. Before, I had never experienced aught but a not unpleasing sadness. The bond of a common humanity now drew me irresistibly to gloom. A fraternal melancholy! For both I and Bartleby were sons of Adam. I remembered the bright silks and sparkling faces I had seen that day, in gala trim, swanlike sailing down the Mississippi of Broadway; and I contrasted them with the pallid copyist, and thought to myself, Ah, happiness courts the light, so we deem the world is gay; but misery hides aloof, so we deem that misery there is none. - Herman Melville, Bartleby the Scrivener

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Oh, someone is going to make ton of money out of the Iraq war, all right. Only it won't be us, or anyone who actually fought in the war, and least of all the average Iraqi citizen.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 25th, 2006 @ 12:37 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch
    Oh, someone is going to make ton of money out of the Iraq war, all right. Only it won't be us, or anyone who actually fought in the war, and least of all the average Iraqi citizen.
    You're right. It's the owners of such companies like Halliburton who make much of the war profits.
    http://tinypic.com/fuud54.jpg
    For the first time in my life a feeling of overpowering stinging melancholy seized me. Before, I had never experienced aught but a not unpleasing sadness. The bond of a common humanity now drew me irresistibly to gloom. A fraternal melancholy! For both I and Bartleby were sons of Adam. I remembered the bright silks and sparkling faces I had seen that day, in gala trim, swanlike sailing down the Mississippi of Broadway; and I contrasted them with the pallid copyist, and thought to myself, Ah, happiness courts the light, so we deem the world is gay; but misery hides aloof, so we deem that misery there is none. - Herman Melville, Bartleby the Scrivener