Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Genetic Analysis of the Saami

Lineages within the Saami Community

Perhaps as little as 20 lineages (both Paternal and Maternal) are found within the Saami community, with only 4 being truly indigenous.

Paternal Founding Lineages and appoximated frequencies

N3a and N3a1 are two lineages which consititute Eu 14, to which 42% of male Saami lineages can be derived from.

Eu 14, along with Eu 13, form Hg 16(Tat-C).

Other Paternal Lineages

Haplogroups 1, 2, and 3 are also seen along Paternal lines, and all are indicitive of Nordic Scandinavian admixture.

The frequencies are as follows:

Hg 1- 6%
    Hg 2- 31%
    Hg 3-21%

Maternal Founding Lineages

It is suspected that, like with the Saami male lineages, only two female lineages founded the Saami community. The first is Haplogroup V, which , although rarely found in excess of 5% in other populations, makes up 39.77% of Saami maternal lines. Haplogroup V is a gene marker of Upper Paleolithic/ Old European origin, and shows a strong affinity with Haplogroup H.

The second founding lineage is U5b1, which is a sub-cluster of U5, a Europid gene marker. U5b1 is consitutes 42.61% of Maternal Saami lineages, and is virtually absent in other European populations, which exception to those the Saami have mixed with.

Other Maternal Lineages of European origin

In contrast to Paternal lineages, Scandinavian admixture along female lines is of much smaller incidences.

The frequencies of each haplogroup are as follows:

H - 1.70%
    H1 - 1.14%
    H8- 2.84%
    U5a- 0.57%
    U5a1- 0.57%
    U5b- 1.70%
    W- 0.57%

Other Maternal Lineages of non-European Origin

Two Mongoloid Maternal Lineages of minor importance are found among the Saami. The first is Haplogroup Z, found at a frequency at 3.41%. The second is Haplogroup D*, which is consitutes 5.11% of all lineages.

* Note - Haplogroup D may not necessarily be of Mongoloid inspiration, as it has been shown to provide an evolutionary advantage in coping with the extreme weather conditions of Northerly climates.

Conclusion
    Scandinavian admixture, was has thought to be widesread among the Saami, can now be genetically confirmed, consituting roughly a third of all total lineages, and showing a much higher incidence on Male lines than female lines. Confirmed non-European, in this case Mongoloid, admixture is shown in roughly 5% of all total lineages, and is entirely derived from mtDNA.

In summation, the Saami are a relatively homogeneous and genetically tight-knit community, possessing a comparatively small mumber of gene markers which differ from those in found in other populations due to their unique distribution and frequency.

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 28th, 2007 @ 02:56 PM
    Subrace
    Corded/UP
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Apolitical
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's very interesting.

I think that if we could now unravel the mystery of Tat-C, then we'd have a very precise picture of the Mongolid element in the Lapps.

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Friday, January 8th, 2010 @ 08:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

3-5% mongoloid is really not much at all. So, shouldn't we consider the Smi to be "white?"

On the whole, the Lapp crania, as the Lapp soft parts, take an intermediate position between mongoloid and white standard forms. In some special characters the Lapps are unique, as in the masticatory development, and in the orbit, where Hisinger-Jgerskild has found a curiously primitive bony conformation. The possession of these peculiar specializations and primitive traits should prevent the Lapps from being considered a hybrid mongoloid-white racial form. Compared to central Asiatic mongoloids, the Lapps are little specialized. The soft and often fine head hair, the absence of the blue-black hair pigment shade, the infrequency of the mongoloid eyefold, and the absence of an excessive lateral malar development or of great facial width, are evidence of this lack of specialization in a mongoloid direction.
    The Lapps

I knew it was mostly Scandinavian male admixture. (I can't imagine many ladies finding Smi males appealing, except for strange ones like me). They got sick of their gargantuan Carolina Klft-like berfrauen and sought after tiny little shamanic babes for some fun in the sauna.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Essex Essex
    Putinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladygoeth33
    I knew it was mostly Scandinavian male admixture. (I can't imagine many ladies finding Smi males appealing, except for strange ones like me). They got sick of their gargantuan Carolina Klft-like berfrauen and sought after tiny little shamanic babes for some fun in the sauna.
    I always admire your originality and fruitful imagination

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Friday, January 8th, 2010 @ 08:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Smi admixture in Scandinavians is nothing to be worried about, anyway. Here you can see the bigger problem is outright foreigners:

Yahoo profiles for men in Norway

and um..

http://profiles.yahoo.com/euroman4asiangirl

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Essex Essex
    Putinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladygoeth33
    Smi admixture in Scandinavians is nothing to be worried about, anyway. Here you can see the bigger problem is outright foreigners:

Yahoo profiles for men in Norway

and um..

http://profiles.yahoo.com/euroman4asiangirl

Absolutely. The Sami are indigenous in Scandinavia, and have never posed a racial threat. They remain a small minority, living in the extreme north.

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 28th, 2007 @ 02:56 PM
    Subrace
    Corded/UP
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Apolitical
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think anyone here is saying they pose a threat. But they are certainly an interesting case in terms of genetics and anthropology. It may be that most northern Europeans, including the Slavs, carry Lapp genes, because signs of Lapp existance have been found as far south as Poland and Germany. So it has been a subject that I have always taken a keen interest in.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 18th, 2004 @ 11:59 PM
    Subrace
    East Baltid
    Occupation
    Wife, Student, and Muse
    Politics
    Reading Poetry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Genetic Analysis of the Saami *

Males:
    Eu 13, Eu 14 (M178) = Tat
    Hg 1-3

Females:
    Haplogroup V, U5b1

If the "Asian" Haplogroups D* and Z are found in the Female lines, could someone have that from any other Female ancestor, even if it doesnt say so?

The mtDNA is only your mothers Line, and the males could have married women with either D or Z in their DNA.

It sounds confusing, but for instance.

My maternal grandfathers mother.

I couldnt do a test that would show that.

I would assume I would have some of her Genes...

I belong to the U5b1 Haplotype.

--

Lineages within the Saami Community

Perhaps as little as 20 lineages (both Paternal and Maternal) are found within the Saami community, with only 4 being truly indigenous.

Paternal Founding Lineages and appoximated frequencies

N3a and N3a1 are two lineages which consititute Eu 14, to which 42% of male Saami lineages can be derived from.

Eu 14, along with Eu 13, form Hg 16(Tat-C).

Other Paternal Lineages

Haplogroups 1, 2, and 3 are also seen along Paternal lines, and all are indicitive of Nordic Scandinavian admixture.

The frequencies are as follows:

Hg 1- 6%
    Hg 2- 31%
    Hg 3-21%

Maternal Founding Lineages

It is suspected that, like with the Saami male lineages, only two female lineages founded the Saami community. The first is Haplogroup V, which , although rarely found in excess of 5% in other populations, makes up 39.77% of Saami maternal lines. Haplogroup V is a gene marker of Upper Paleolithic/ Old European origin, and shows a strong affinity with Haplogroup H.

The second founding lineage is U5b1, which is a sub-cluster of U5, a Europid gene marker. U5b1 is consitutes 42.61% of Maternal Saami lineages, and is virtually absent in other European populations, which exception to those the Saami have mixed with.

Other Maternal Lineages of European origin

In contrast to Paternal lineages, Scandinavian admixture along female lines is of much smaller incidences.

The frequencies of each haplogroup are as follows:

H - 1.70%
    H1 - 1.14%
    H8- 2.84%
    U5a- 0.57%
    U5a1- 0.57%
    U5b- 1.70%
    W- 0.57%

Other Maternal Lineages of non-European Origin

Two Mongoloid Maternal Lineages of minor importance are found among the Saami. The first is Haplogroup Z, found at a frequency at 3.41%. The second is Haplogroup D*, which is consitutes 5.11% of all lineages.

* Note - Haplogroup D may not necessarily be of Mongoloid inspiration, as it has been shown to provide an evolutionary advantage in coping with the extreme weather conditions of Northerly climates.

Conclusion
    Scandinavian admixture, was has thought to be widesread among the Saami, can now be genetically confirmed, consituting roughly a third of all total lineages, and showing a much higher incidence on Male lines than female lines. Confirmed non-European, in this case Mongoloid, admixture is shown in roughly 5% of all total lineages, and is entirely derived from mtDNA.

In summation, the Saami are a relatively homogeneous and genetically tight-knit community, possessing a comparatively small mumber of gene markers which differ from those in found in other populations due to their unique distribution and frequency.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 27th, 2006 @ 09:12 AM
    Subrace
    Other
    Race Realism/Hereditarian
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the "Asian" Haplogroups D* and Z are found in the Female lines, could someone have that from any other Female ancestor, even if it doesnt say so?

The mtDNA is only your mothers Line, and the males could have married women with either D or Z in their DNA.

It sounds confusing, but for instance.

My maternal grandfathers mother.

I couldnt do a test that would show that.

I would assume I would have some of her Genes...

I belong to the U5b1 Haplotype.
    Yes, your ancestors could, and almost certainly would, have other lineages which do not characterize your Y-Chromosome or mtDNA marker.

These tests are effective only when they are applied to large population samples, so it can be determined how many lineages are derived from each population movement etc.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 18th, 2004 @ 11:59 PM
    Subrace
    East Baltid
    Occupation
    Wife, Student, and Muse
    Politics
    Reading Poetry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post That is true

My maternal grandmother doesnt fit the Saami characterictics, and most likely there are Finnish and Karelian (ad)mixture.

I do not look Saami either, and there are a couple of pictures of me in another thread.

I am attaching a photo of my mother.

Perhaps we shouldnt look at the Physical attributes. I think there are other, more visible differences.
    Last edited by xa; Monday, September 29th, 2003 at 08:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast