Thread: Non-Nordic Individuals Adopting Indo-European Religion and Culture?

Last Online
    Monday, October 30th, 2006 @ 02:55 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid + Dalofaelid/Brunn
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Question Non-Nordic Individuals Adopting Indo-European Religion and Culture?

What are people's opinions regarding nordish but non-nordic individuals adopting indo-european culture? Being largely brunn myself, I hate the thought of taking on culture and religions from which a large part of my ancestors were not part of. However, asatru and it's variants are the only ethnic religion to which I have some form of connection to. Thoughts on this?

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, January 20th, 2017 @ 05:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Danelaw
    Subrace
    Nordoid
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Zug Zug
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Chicken farmer
    Politics
    Democracy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Post Re: Adopting religions/culture

I thought all indigenous NW European tribes practiced some form of Asatru.

What did UP's practice?

Last Online
    Subrace
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have the impression that the IE tribes originated in the east, and moved west, conquering and placed their form of religion upon all they conquered. In this sense, asatru is foreign to UP.

Radical Traditionalist
    Last Online
    Friday, April 11th, 2008 @ 02:24 PM
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    Völkisch Green
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Ásatrú is just one expression of pre christian germanic spirituality. Ásatrú is based on Ethnicity, not race. Over years and years different groups formed their own unique culture and practices. For example, 1600 years ago practice in Iceland would be different than in lets say England or the more Germanic countrys / areas like Germany or The Netherlands.

There is Ásatrú, there is Irminism (The more German expression of Heathenry) then you have Anglo Saxon Heathenism among other titles. It is basically the same folkway in essence but different as far as names of the Gods go and cultural practice. For example the Germanic Goddess Ostara whom the Christians god easter from was a Germanic Goddess and not known in places like Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Denmark ect ect. So Bjerre is somewhat correct, it depends on your ethnicity not just your Race or being Germanic. The Germans and Saxons had the Gods Woden / Wodan / Woutan and Donnar / Thunar which most people of Scandinavian / Icelandic lines call them Odin and Thor.

I'm not too familiar with terms like "UP" so if you explained those I might be able to help a little more
    E-mail: odalist@gmail.com
    AOL IM: Blood Und Soil

Last Online
    Subrace
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

UP = Upper Paleolithic

This refers to the previous inhabitants of Europe before it was taken by the Indo -European tribes. They largely mixed with the IE invaders and aren't seen as a true population in many places any more, but many Northern Europeans contain parts of them.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, January 16th, 2021 @ 08:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

I wouldn't get to nit-picky about such a thing. Sure, the Indo-Europeans brought with them their own religions when they entered Europe which were likely different than the aboriginal pre-IE native Europids.....however, they surely blended over time so that what we now understand as pre-Christian European Heathen religions, are surely not totally of IE origins. An example that comes--off of the top of my head--is that of the Aesir and the Vanir. It is thought that the Vanir, being primarily concerned with fertility, are remnants of the pre-IE folk whereas the Aesir, being more oriented toward war, were additions to the pantheon by the incoming Indo-European speakers....

Also, just because you are of a pre-IE phenotype (Brunn as you say) does not imply that you are 100% genotypically pre-IE. You likley have some pastoral, horse-riding, war-making Indo-European pumping through your veins.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Allenson For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Very true. I believe there is also linguistic evidence that suggests pre-Indo-European elements in Germanic culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenson
    I wouldn't get to nit-picky about such a thing. Sure, the Indo-Europeans brought with them their own religions when they entered Europe which were likely different than the aboriginal pre-IE native Europids.....however, they surely blended over time so that what we now understand as pre-Christian European Heathen religions, are surely not totally of IE origins. An example that comes--off of the top of my head--is that of the Aesir and the Vanir. It is thought that the Vanir, being primarily concerned with fertility, are remnants of the pre-IE folk whereas the Aesir, being more oriented toward war, were additions to the pantheon by the incoming Indo-European speakers....
    Also, just because you are of a pre-IE phenotype (Brunn as you say) does not imply that you are 100% genotypically pre-IE. You likley have some pastoral, horse-riding, war-making Indo-European pumping through your veins.

Roslagen til Danelagen
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Vínsk
    Ancestry
    Engelsk (Autosomal), Uppland (Y-DNA) och Dalarna (mtDNA)
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-BY30613
    mtDNA
    K2A5A1
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Väring och Víking
    Politics
    Munsöätten
    Religion
    Forn Sed
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenson View Post
    According to royal tradition, the Aesir are the ancestors of the Danes and Angles, whereas the Vanir are the ancestors of the Swedes and Northmen. What this shows, is that Jutland is an Asatru base and Scandinavia is a Vanatru base. The genetic difference can be found in assigning R1b hg to Aesir and R1a hg to Vanir. Neither of these parties in Germanic Heathenry has any resemblance to the agricultural worship associated with the Northern Megalithic Culture's I1 hg, which would have been the precursor of Christianity in the North as heritage of the Thralls.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenson View Post
    There seems to be some confusion about what are Nordic vs Mediterranean phenotypes. North Sea phenotypes come from the Caspian Sea and Mediterranean Sea phenotypes come from the Black Sea, with the Alps ostensibly keeping them apart in a parallel existence. There have been claims that 'Alpines' form an East-West stratum into Asia and that Nordics are of common origin with Mediterraneans. Therefore, what seems to be the case, is that there is a misnomer of terminology with anthropology, likely confirmed by genetics. Eastern Europe and Western Europe are thickest in R1a hg and R1b hg, apparently in the Alpine middle, but more appropriately described as Baltics and Atlantics. The remaining puzzle pieces would tie 'Nords' to I1 hg and 'Meds' to I2 hg. This perpendicularity of haplogroups and phenotypes in Europe is confusing, but it explains why lands of the former Holy Roman Empire have the European genetic average. If the terminology is tied to haplogroups, then there would not be very many Nords or Meds combined as I hg in comparison to almost monolithic Alpines of R1 hg. I don't see how the Alps can be a home for any distinct group, nor could Nords and Meds be the same group, which is why I just classify all I hg as Med Europeans and all R1 hg as Nord Indians, even though they overlap.