Last Online
    Thursday, September 8th, 2005 @ 11:27 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I Need Help with Hominid Reconstruction

Hey!

Thank you for letting me join your forum. I am a sculptor and have recently been engaged to produce eight life-size hominid figures for a museum in Spain. My hope and interest in your group is to understand the proportions and morphology of these ancestors in a way that allows me to more accurately reflect the fossil record. To that end, I have questions about skeletal reconstructions and joint-to-joint measurements and information or access to any schematic drawings that illustrate said skeletons from frontal and profile views. The hominids I am intersted in are: Oreopithecus, Dryopithecus and Australopithecus (Africanus and Afarensis).

Where do I start?

Thanks!

Tim Lawrence
    Sculptor

Disinterested
    Last Online
    Tuesday, September 13th, 2005 @ 10:17 PM
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Folkish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Re: Hominid Reconstruction

Im sorry but I dont think you'll find many of them on the internet, Tim. You would probably need to consult the expensive volumes for that, and I dont think Ive ever seen a skeletal reconstruction of Drypoithecus though the proportions of Dryopithecus were similar to orang-utans.

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Morfrain,

Thank you for your reply. Could you perchance tell me the titles of the books? Author? Publisher? The Florida State Museum of Natural History may have one or more of them if I can properly identify the reference.

Also, how much like an orang is an oreopithecine? Would postures for sitting, standing or 'walking' be similar? Where in orang structure would limb and hand proportions differ?

Sincerely,

~T.~

Disinterested
    Last Online
    Tuesday, September 13th, 2005 @ 10:17 PM
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Folkish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SNARK
    Morfrain,
    Thank you for your reply. Could you perchance tell me the titles of the books? Author? Publisher? The Florida State Museum of Natural History may have one or more of them if I can properly identify the reference.
    Im sure they do but I cant really help you with sources for schematic drawings of the entire skeletons.

Also, how much like an orang is an oreopithecine? Would postures for sitting, standing or 'walking' be similar? Where in orang structure would limb and hand proportions differ?
    Sincerely,
    ~T.~
    Well believe it or not, despte the (near?) complete skeleton of Oreopithecus theres not yet agreement on the locomotion of Oreopithecus. This primate has recently been suggested to have been an orang-type climber or even sloth-like, but is most reasonably seen as having an unusual, shuffling, bipedal locomotion on the ground. If Oreopithecus was a walker then the shuffling locomotion wouldnt be comparable to any modern ape including gibbons and humans.

Here is the abstract and text of "Ape-like or hominid-like? The positional behavior of Oreopithecus bambolii reconsidered".

"Comparative morphological and functional analyses of the skeletal remains of Oreopithecus bambolii, amhominoid from the Miocene Mediterranean island of Tuscany–Sardinia (Italy), provides evidence that bipedal activities made up a significant part of the positional behavior of this primate. The mosaic pattern of its postcranial morphology is to some degree convergent with that of Australopithecus and functionally intermediate between apes and early hominids. Some unique traits could have been selected only under insular conditions where the absence of predators and the
    limitation of trophic resources play a crucial role in mammalian evolution."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you, Morfrain. Your help has been greatly appreciated. If anything else occurs to you that may help in my research, please mail me at: FrogKnockers@yahoo.com.

Sincerely,

Tim Lawrence
    Sculptor