Friday, December 8th, 2006 @ 02:25 AM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Post Honourable professions

I did not know where to post these questions. The Ethics & Morals forum should be appropriate.

What professions do you find honourable? I do not only mean status, but you can also include that.

What professions do you find dishonourable?

An interesting article:

The Death of an Honorable Profession

http://www.law.indiana.edu/ilj/v72/no2/bogus.html
    Last edited by Glenlivet; Wednesday, September 7th, 2005 at 10:41 AM.

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 27th, 2007 @ 05:17 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Re: Honourable professions

Every job made with effort to put food on the table of your family is honourable, if that means you have to carry some moral burden, or society´s prejudicies that is agaisnt natural law where man has the right and the rule to preserve his and his family dignity overall.

Last Online
    Monday, December 28th, 2009 @ 12:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    canadian
    Subrace
    Atlanto-Med + Dinarid
    Conservative
    Religion
    A Theist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iktericia
    Every job made with effort to put food on the table of your family is honourable, if that means you have to carry some moral burden, or society´s prejudicies that is agaisnt natural law where man has the right and the rule to preserve his and his family dignity overall.
    So, according to you, being a male prostitute is honourable as long as it's well paid? I'm not sure I understand.

By the way, as far as I know it's unemployed.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Country
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenlivet
    I did not know where to post these questions. The Ethics & Morals forum should be appropriate.

What professions do you find honourable? I do not only mean status, but you can also include that.

An interesting article:

Very difficult question, dude. Concept of honorable and dishonorable can be ,again, quite subjective. Our easthetic preference are determinant. And even more determinant is the social status whom derives from the profession. Sorry, but i suspect you will not receive completely appropriate answers from the partecipants.

For myself i find that a military career is rather honorable. You honor yourself and your country through such choice.

I thought a similar career for me indeed.
    Last edited by Huzar; Wednesday, September 7th, 2005 at 06:34 PM.

Last Online
    Friday, December 8th, 2006 @ 02:25 AM
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KULL
    Very difficult question, dude. Concept of honorable and dishonorable can be ,again, quite subjective. Our easthetic preference are determinant.
    I know that. I still appreciate the views you guys may have.

Medicine is seen as honourable, perhaps more so than law, becaue lawyers are are supposedly more greedy. Doctors who earn a lot actually work like businessmen, in the private sector. But it is not a clean job (and the gross anatomy lab classes are more like the job of a butcher, which I do not think is seen as a high status profession), except ophthalmology and dermatology, which are somewhat cleaner. Someone might think some jobs that do not pay well are honourable, e.g. home-help service of the elderly (I have actually done this as an extra job) or childminding.

Not all cultures may give the same rating in honesty and ethics.There is a Gallup poll from USA which we can take a look at. It is, like you read below, an annual survey on the honesty and ethical standards of various professions.

Gallup's annual survey on the honesty and ethical standards of various professions finds nurses at the top of the list, as they have been in all but one year since they were first added to the poll in 1999. More generally, this year's honesty and ethics poll shows that Americans continue to give their highest ratings to the public service professions, like the military, teachers, and members of the medical profession. Public protectors also rate highly. The lowest rated professions tend to be those connected with sales or big business, lawyers, elected officeholders, and reporters.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/content/login.aspx?ci=14236

Curious about how your profession rated? Here's Gallup's list, starting with the professions rated "very high" or "high" on honesty and ethical standards:

1. Nurses (79 percent)
    2. Druggists, pharmacists (72 percent)
    3. Military officers (72 percent)
    4. Medical doctors (67 percent)
    5. Police officers (60 percent)
    6. Clergy (56 percent)
    7. Judges (53 percent)
    8. Day care providers (49 percent)
    9. Bankers (36 percent)
    10. Auto mechanics (26 percent)
    11. Local officeholders (26 percent)
    12. Nursing home operators (24 percent)
    13. State officeholders (24 percent)
    14. TV reporters (23 percent)
    15. Newspaper reporters (21 percent)
    16. Business executives (20 percent)
    17. Lawyers (18 percent)
    18. Congressmen (10 percent)
    19. Advertising practitioners (10 percent)
    20. Car salesmen (9 percent)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in659857.shtml

For myself i find that a military career is rather honorable. You honor yourself and your country through such choice. I thought a similar career for me indeed.
    I have a problem with the brainwashing of low IQ (around 85?) soldiers in USA. A soldier is almost like a robot, merely a tool, that has been formed to suit the leaders. There is a reason why they go 1,2,3,4...

But there are certain sections of the military that have a higher status. Take e.g. Sandhurst officer cadets who study at the Sandhurst Royal Military Academy. That is an elite institution.
    Last edited by Glenlivet; Wednesday, September 7th, 2005 at 07:18 PM.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Country
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I know that. I still appreciate the views you guys may have.

Medicine is seen as honourable, perhaps more so than law, becaue lawyers are are supposedly more greedy. Doctors who earn a lot actually work like businessmen, in the private sector. But it is not a clean job (and the gross anatomy lab classes are more like the job of a butcher, which I do not think is seen as a high status profession), except ophthalmology and dermatology, which are somewhat cleaner. Someone might think some jobs that do not pay well are honourable, e.g. home-help service of the elderly (I have actually done this as an extra job) or childminding.

Not all cultures may give the same rating in honesty and ethics.There is a Gallup poll from USA which we can take a look at. It is, like you read below, an annual survey on the honesty and ethical standards of various professions.

Gallup's annual survey on the honesty and ethical standards of various professions finds nurses at the top of the list, as they have been in all but one year since they were first added to the poll in 1999. More generally, this year's honesty and ethics poll shows that Americans continue to give their highest ratings to the public service professions, like the military, teachers, and members of the medical profession. Public protectors also rate highly. The lowest rated professions tend to be those connected with sales or big business, lawyers, elected officeholders, and reporters.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/content/login.aspx?ci=14236

Curious about how your profession rated? Here's Gallup's list, starting with the professions rated "very high" or "high" on honesty and ethical standards:

1. Nurses (79 percent)
    2. Druggists, pharmacists (72 percent)
    3. Military officers (72 percent)
    4. Medical doctors (67 percent)
    5. Police officers (60 percent)
    6. Clergy (56 percent)
    7. Judges (53 percent)
    8. Day care providers (49 percent)
    9. Bankers (36 percent)
    10. Auto mechanics (26 percent)
    11. Local officeholders (26 percent)
    12. Nursing home operators (24 percent)
    13. State officeholders (24 percent)
    14. TV reporters (23 percent)
    15. Newspaper reporters (21 percent)
    16. Business executives (20 percent)
    17. Lawyers (18 percent)
    18. Congressmen (10 percent)
    19. Advertising practitioners (10 percent)
    20. Car salesmen (9 percent)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in659857.shtml

I have a problem with the brainwashing of low IQ (around 85?) soldiers in USA. A soldier is almost like a robot, merely a tool, that has been formed to suit the leaders. There is a reason why they go 1,2,3,4...

But there are certain sections of the military that have a higher status. Take e.g. Sandhurst officer cadets who study at the Sandhurst Royal Military Academy. That is an elite institution.

Gallup Poll, reflect moral american standards, who aren't in favour of compromises ; LAwyers for example are seen like peoples charachterized by a "low" moral standards, cause their involvment with less noble elements o society like criminals or others. The same for politicians, usually involved in oscure and ambiguous facts or even some businessmen, interested in their egoistic personal benefit and nothing other.

To the opposite, military and police officers, clargymen and judges and Doctors are the most respected cause their supposed fidelity to moral and national interests

Yeah, i understand your reasonments on military ; afterall you're a scandinavian free-thinker (well, i think so ) while i am some sort of "continental" militarist (Napoleonic "Grand Armee" style.......)

Anyway, an officer academy, is just what i meant with military career. Afterall, i'm almost graduated, therefore is an officer role the only i want.
    Not necessarly in the military, but in the police too (well, probably you don't know this but in my country, national police is part of the armed forces. Policemen (both officers and agents) have a military legal status.
    Last edited by Huzar; Thursday, September 8th, 2005 at 02:50 PM.

Last Online
    Monday, September 12th, 2005 @ 06:43 PM
    Subrace
    Tronder
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe all professions are honorable. Any means legal (mainly by a profession) to bring food to the table, a roof over one's head and for one's family, and a means to be able to get the things one needs, is honorable to me.

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 27th, 2007 @ 05:17 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dethskarz
    So, according to you, being a male prostitute is honourable as long as it's well paid? I'm not sure I understand.

By the way, as far as I know it's unemployed.
    Being a male prostitute is not honourable it doesn´t matter as long as it´s well paid neither it is being a prostitute. I meant sometimes a man must do things to provide food for his family if he is really a man.

I´m unemployed because the factory´s owners couldn´t match agaisnt foreign goods, so they decided to close and it is not easy for a man with no studies to get a good job, so unemployed means i´m not doing my specialized job, but i´m on long hours part-times jobs.

Don´t despise those you don´t know, please.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

An interesting article:

In general there are some jobs that I find more honourable than others. But I believe it's not only the job that counts it's how one does one's job.

Professions I find particularly honourable are Teacher,Social Worker,Fireman,Policemen, and Doctor.

Professions I find dishonourable include Prostitute,Drug dealer,Garbage collector,Truck driver,Mechanic,Lawyer, and last but not least corporate Executive.

Last Online
    Saturday, January 13th, 2007 @ 09:44 AM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Religion
    Anglo Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my opinion the only honourable profession is one that best suits your potential.
    "People demand freedom of speech as compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Soren Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast