Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Freedom, Power and Culture/The Transcendence or Phantom of Freedom?

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 @ 09:18 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Albion
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Essex Essex
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Investigator of Souls
    Politics
    Pan-Germanic Nationalist
    Religion
    Runosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    Your using Napoleon as an illustration of your own point highlights what I've said - freedom is something that comes with power. A person with an illusiory mental belief has a messed up mind (his capability - i.e. power - to think is wrecked) but he is still free.
    You're saying that NOW; it is I who has brought out the different facets of the concept of freedom. Your own originallly narrow characterisation of 'freedom' as 'the removal of restrictions' has been shown to be inadequate.

"Tell me where I denied it, after I said negetive and positive freedom are one and the same thing".
    You wrote "freedom is not the power to do something" ('6 days ago at 18:01).

"Not only was Rousseau an idiot, as Siegfried has said, but paradoxes are impossible. Aristotle: "It is impossible for the same thing at the same time to belong and not belong to the same thing at the same time and in the same respect." So tell me how one can be 'forced to be free'".
    Oh dear! Aristotelian Logic has long been surpassed. Check out the POSSIBLE paradoxes of Quantum Mechanics!
    Life itself is full of paradoxes, but then one would need to be a philosopher to understand that!
    Saying someone is an "idiot" is no argument.

"He was not forced to be free because that is an impossibility. They used coercion to place him into a condition he did not choose to be in. They moved him from what most people (not wanting to serve someone else for the rest of their lives) would regard as slavery (he wanted it, so it would have been voluntary if he was allowed to choose, and he would have - which the Yankess did not permit - and so it was not slavery) into a real form of slavery, from the perspective of the Negro. He did not want to be his own master. But the yankess forced him out of the condition which he wanted (and would have chosen, if they had merely made sure force was not to be employed either way, and not made the decision for him) and into a condition he didn't want. He was not made 'free'. They moved the Negro from a state he preferred into a state he did not and they prevented him from making a decision which concerned his own life. Rousseau is an idiot. You lose".
    He was forced into a position [non-slavery] which was OBJECTIVELY freer than the one he was in [slavery] prior to being forced.
    Last edited by Moody; Wednesday, December 20th, 2006 at 01:54 PM. Reason: updated thread
    Why are there beings at all, & why not rather nothing?
    [Leibniz/Heidegger]

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Moody Lawless
    You're saying that NOW; it is I who has brought out the different facets of the concept of freedom. Your own originallly narrow characterisation of 'freedom' as 'the removal of restrictions' has been shown to be inadequate.
    With power, you can remove restrictions. Thus, freedom comes with power.

Oh dear! Aristotelian Logic has long been surpassed. Check out the POSSIBLE paradoxes of Quantum Mechanics!
    Life itself is full of paradoxes, but then one would need to be a philosopher to understand that!
    Neither is dragging Quantum Mechanics into a discussion. A contradiction is a contradiction, no matter what scientific theories have to say about subatomic particles.

He was forced into a postion [non-slavery] which was OBJECTIVELY freer than the one he was in [slavery] prior to being forced.
    Actually, freedom is the absence of restrictions - restrictions that limit you in living in accordance with your Self. Thus, if a Negro is born to be a slave, he can actually be 'free' in slavery.
    Last edited by Moody; Wednesday, December 20th, 2006 at 01:59 PM. Reason: updated thread

Last Online
    Friday, March 25th, 2016 @ 07:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt Australian
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordic
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Victoria Victoria
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Guerilla Philosopher
    Politics
    Aristotelian Nationalist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hardly.

You wrote "freedom is not the power to do something" ('6 days ago at 18:01).
    Yes, that's what I said. Freedom to do something does not imply power. Freedom is a condition of existance, power is the capability to act. I'm 'free' to trade money for a t-shirt at a clothing store. Having If I were to live under a Government which prevented me from using money for buying that t-shirt, I would not be free to buy that t-shirt. However, the Government (wielding power) has permitted me to do that, so I have freedom as a benefit of power.

I don't see how Quantum Mechanics links in with freedom. Perhaps you could enlighten me. And Rousseau was an idiot, because being 'forced to be free' is a contradiction.

He was forced into a postion [non-slavery] which was OBJECTIVELY freer than the one he was in [slavery] prior to being forced.
    The fact remains he was forced. Ensuring that force would not be applied to him either way he chose (whether to be his own master or not to be his own master) would have been true freedom for the Negro, not rhetoric intended to legitimise the use of force. Which is exactly what 'forced to be free' is.
    Last edited by Moody; Wednesday, December 20th, 2006 at 02:01 PM. Reason: updated thread
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream at night, in the dusky recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams, with open eyes, to make it possible.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Albion
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    State
    Essex Essex
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Investigator of Souls
    Politics
    Pan-Germanic Nationalist
    Religion
    Runosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Siegfried
    "A contradiction is a contradiction ...
    Actually, freedom is the absence of restrictions - restrictions that limit you in living in accordance with your Self.
    Thus, if a Negro is born to be a slave, he can actually be 'free' in slavery".
    And THAT is an example of a contradiction; or rather, a paradox.
    Life is full of contradictions, as philosophers and artists have always known; the actual experiments of modern physics have proven this to be true.
    So, a nationalist philosophy should not be afraid of so-called contradictions.

;"I don't see how Quantum Mechanics links in with freedom. Perhaps you could enlighten me.
    And Rousseau was an idiot, because being 'forced to be free' is a contradiction".
    Quantum mechanics has shown [as has modern physics in general] that the ancient 'Law of non-contradiction' is not universally true, and that 'contradictions' are therefore possible, and actual.
    This proves that contradictions are not always "idiotic".
    So when Siegfried says someone is 'free in slavery', as he does above, he is making the same paradoxical point as Rousseau.
    Also, look into Zeno's paradoxes for similar examples.
    Last edited by Moody; Wednesday, December 20th, 2006 at 02:06 PM. Reason: updated thread
    [Leibniz/Heidegger]

Last Online
    Friday, March 25th, 2016 @ 07:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt Australian
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordic
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Victoria Victoria
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Guerilla Philosopher
    Politics
    Aristotelian Nationalist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

And THAT is an example of a contradiction; or rather, a paradox.
    Life is full of contradictions, as philosophers and artists have always known; the actual experiments of modern physics have proven this to be true.
    It's not a contradiction I explained this earlier. I repeat: The fact remains he was forced. Ensuring that force would not be applied to him either way he chose (whether to be his own master or not to be his own master) would have been true freedom for the Negro, not rhetoric intended to legitimise the use of force. Which is exactly what 'forced to be free' is. Shove a gun in his face to make him do what you want him to do, not leaving him the option to decide for himself. That isn't freedom for the Negro.

So, a nationalist philosophy should not be afraid of so-called contradictions.
    Please do explain how Quantum Mechanics shows contradictions to be possible. And to quote JJT from Stormfront (you brought QM up there):

"Actually QM does not contradict itself, and contains no paradoxes - it only seems that way when you conceptualise it with inbuilt human physical intuition.

But that's a short way of dealing with this which is essentially the reply of a smartarse. Technically, no, but in the blurry world of human thinking, yes. I do seriously wonder if QM could ever have been evolved any where except in Germany, and I do indeed think, yes, there is a historical link."
    Last edited by Moody; Wednesday, December 20th, 2006 at 02:08 PM. Reason: updated thread
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream at night, in the dusky recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams, with open eyes, to make it possible.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Albion
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    State
    Essex Essex
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Investigator of Souls
    Politics
    Pan-Germanic Nationalist
    Religion
    Runosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Post The Flat Earth

"Please do explain how Quantum Mechanics shows contradictions to be possible. And to quote JJT from Stormfront ..."
    I am not asking you to take my [or JJT's (who?)] word for this.
    Check out Heisenberg's 'Uncertainty Principle', for example;
    http://jersey.uoregon.edu/~imamura/122/feb9/hup.html
    "We do not know if this indeterminism is actually the way the Universe works".
    http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00000635
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_logic

The point is, any modern philosophy must take note of such discoveries.
    Nietzsche, for example, avidly read the science journals of his time - not because he was a scientist, but because he knew that such things have a bearing on a philosophy concerned with 'Macht'.

Likewise, if a philosophy calling itself 'Freedom and Power' is to be more than a mere ideology, it must look at the complex notions of 'freedom' and 'power' as they are touched on in all spheres of intellectual endeavour.

This means that the paradoxical nature of modern philosophical logic as well as the contradictions of modern physics must at least be acknowledged.
    Otherwise you are only writing as some kind of flat-earther who will brook no discussion - that is NOT philosophical.
    Last edited by Moody; Wednesday, December 20th, 2006 at 02:19 PM. Reason: updated thread
    [Leibniz/Heidegger]

Last Online
    Friday, December 30th, 2005 @ 06:06 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The term "Freedom"

The term 'Freedom' makes me ill. It means nothing. It's a decontextualized absolute. We can be easily manipulated by it.
    Last edited by Moody; Wednesday, December 20th, 2006 at 02:44 PM. Reason: merged thread

Last Online
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007 @ 10:29 AM
    Subrace
    nordiſch-weſtiſch
    Single
    Politics
    Volk und Raſſe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    W.'s litany-like "they hate our freedoms" "analysis" after 9/11 was the climax of neo-democratic rhetoric "freedom" infantilism.
    Man ſei Held oder Heiliger. In der Mitte liegt nicht die Weisheit, ſondern die Alltäglichkeit.

SPENGLER

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Would "absence of oppression" or "natural destiny" be better?

(assuming you have a good working definition of what oppression is, in the first case)

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 @ 07:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think "natural destiny" could describe the core aims of "freedom" as an abstract concept, but it would be difficult to foster under democratic rule; even aristocratic democratic rule would make it difficult.

Are we really free, anyway? I think this is a Judeo-Christian belief that we have all this free will. Our ancestors taught us that our fate was fixed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast