Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post Creative People Remember More Dreams

Creativity May Inspire Vivid, Unforgettable Dreams During Sleep
    By Jennifer Warner
    Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
    on Friday, June 27, 2003
    WebMD Medical News

June 27, 2003 - "To sleep, perchance to dream," mused Shakespeare's Hamlet, but those words might have been referring to the Bard himself. A new study shows creative, imaginative people are more likely to have vivid dreams during sleep and remember them when they wake up.

Researchers say almost every human dreams several times at night, but the average person only remembers dreaming about half the time. And while some people remember every night's dreams, others have virtually no dream recall.

In this study, published in the May issue of Personality and Individual Differences, researchers attempted to sort out some of the individual differences that might contribute to variation in dream recall.

For 14 weeks, 193 college students were asked to keep track of what time they woke up each morning, what time they had gone to bed, whether they had consumed alcohol or caffeine within four hours of bedtime, and whether they remembered any dreams when they woke up. The students also filled out questionnaires that assessed their personality traits.

Consistent with previous studies, researchers found that the participants remembered dreaming in their sleep about half the time and there was great variation in the degree of dream recall. Overall, the students recalled dreams about three or four days per week.

Although previous research has suggested that sleep quality or length of sleep can contribute to dream recall, this study found these factors did not significantly affect dream recall. But students who had inconsistent sleep schedules tended to report more dreams during sleep.

When researchers looked at personality traits that contributed to dream recall, they found people who were prone to absorption, imaginativeness, daydreaming, and fantasizing were most likely to remember their dreams.

"There is a fundamental continuity between how people experience the world during the day and at night," says researcher David Watson, a professor of psychology at the University of Iowa, in a news release. "People who are prone to daydreaming and fantasy have less of a barrier between states of sleep and wakefulness and seem to more easily pass between them."

The study also found that people who had more vivid, unusual, and interesting dreams had better dream recall. Watson says these findings support the "salience hypothesis," which states that items that are unusual are more easily remembered.

SOURCES: Personality and Individual Differences, May 2003. News release, University of Iowa.

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 26th, 2004 @ 05:34 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Politics
    Creator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember at least bits of my dreams every day..if not a large portion of it. Sometimes I can recall an entire dream.

Last Online
    Monday, April 4th, 2016 @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't dream ever - so there is nothing that could be used against me
    And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Senior Member Ominous Lord Spoonblade's Avatar
    Last Online
    Tuesday, September 26th, 2006 @ 12:55 AM
    Subrace
    shape-shifter
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Politics
    pride and power
    Religion
    I built the pyramids
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I have nightmares all the time, I usually talk in my sleep almost shouting "Noooo! Noooooo!" LOL I remember quite a bit of the dreams I have, usually if I wake up in the middle of the night, and sometimes my dreams wake me up.

I'm not surprised that creative people dream more. Non-creative people don't do anything interesting anyway
    I envision a world where people dawning long white robes and elaborate headdresses run rampant down the streets, waving their arms in the air while screaming "we've gone mad, we've gone mad", like defrocked monks breaking the silence of ages past.

Spoonblade: Sharper than a knife and twice as deadly.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, February 6th, 2006 @ 07:08 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Nordicist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I had vivid dreams that I remembered when I was younger. Usually I was fighting supernatural monsters or some psycho killer. I remember one time I was being given a hypodermic shot, and I awoke feeling it as if it were really happening, in the exact spot.

Now I barely remember them and they fade quickly from memory after I wake up.

I daydream a lot though, does that count?

Senior Member Ominous Lord Spoonblade's Avatar
    Last Online
    Tuesday, September 26th, 2006 @ 12:55 AM
    Subrace
    shape-shifter
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Politics
    pride and power
    Religion
    I built the pyramids
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'd say day-dreaming counts. People with uncreative minds couldn't think up day-dreams!
    I envision a world where people dawning long white robes and elaborate headdresses run rampant down the streets, waving their arms in the air while screaming "we've gone mad, we've gone mad", like defrocked monks breaking the silence of ages past.

Spoonblade: Sharper than a knife and twice as deadly.

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Friday, January 8th, 2010 @ 08:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I have not only vivid but very lucid dreams. I can't control the setting, but while I'm dreaming I can introduce characters and change the course of action. If I'm in the mood for Brad Pitt in silk boxers, I can think of him and there he is.

For nightmares I usually dream of evil spirits chasing me through grungy basements and being run over by cars or crushed to death by bridges and overpasses. I once dreamed of heaven and saw God which was scary. I thought I had died in my sleep, but there had been a mistake as I'm likely going to hell.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 29th, 2007 @ 04:52 AM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Athiest
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My dreams are so vivid that I often wake up at around four o'clock thinking that it is eight (even when I look at the clock) and start getting ready to go. I then realize that I have been dreaming and go back to slepp. The same thing happens about going to school on weekends (I manage to believe that it is actually a weekday) or forgetting assignments, where I will start to work on one in the middle of the night because I dreamed that I forgot to do it, even though I was never assigned in the first place...Believe me, my life isn't only about school/work , these dreams happen only when I'm stressed, which is often!

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 26th, 2004 @ 05:34 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Politics
    Creator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The other day in my dream someone tapped me on the back of the neck once and it woke me up...it took me 1 millionth of a second to wake up and as I was fully awake I felt the other tap on the back of my neck. You know when you tap someone on the back like *tap tap* well that is what it was like but it was done with strength and on the back of my neck. I turned around and nothing was there. Kinda creepy.

Last Online
    Monday, April 4th, 2016 @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Did you check whether the screws in your neck were screwed tight?

And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast