Page 11 of 130 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Last Online
    Sunday, July 23rd, 2006 @ 03:08 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Someone gave me The Wizard of Oz for Yule. Watched it yesterday. It's lovely. Like being a kid again in a world where the idea that ordinary people can be whatever they need to be if they just believe in themselves wasn't considered to be fascist. And the film ends with the statement that "home is the best place to be". I'll be watching it often.

Last Online
    Saturday, January 28th, 2006 @ 10:32 PM
    Taxidermist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Theatre of Blood. Delicious 70s camp British horror classic starring Vincent Price, at his hammiest, as a disgruntled actor who wreaks terrible revenge on the critics who sabotaged his career. The cast is first rate and the plot delightfully ridiculous; the doomed critics are murdered spectacularly according to scenes in Shakespeare's plays. Price is toweringly awful as the doomed psychopath.

Also watched Dark City. A cross between Brazil, Blade Runner and City of Lost Children. Not as accomplished as any of the aforementioned but is entertaining nonetheless. Lacks paranoia and claustrophobia, though stylistically it was okay. The director should have been given a solid diet of methamphetamine and WS Burroughs for a month. Then it could have been very interesting. Plus points for Jennifer Connelly being her normal hauntingly beautiful self. I could probably watch anything with her in it. Well.....almost.
    "If you are going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you."

- George Bernard Shaw

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 04:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tuddorsped

Also watched Dark City. A cross between Brazil, Blade Runner and City of Lost Children. Not as accomplished as any of the aforementioned but is entertaining nonetheless. Lacks paranoia and claustrophobia, though stylistically it was okay. The director should have been given a solid diet of methamphetamine and WS Burroughs for a month. Then it could have been very interesting. Plus points for Jennifer Connelly being her normal hauntingly beautiful self. I could probably watch anything with her in it. Well.....almost.
    At the very least, far superior to the hopelessly overrated "Crow" by the same director. Completely agreed on Ms. Connelly as well.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2006 @ 05:04 AM
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I viewed Citizen Kane today. Good movie about the life of a man who could not feel for others, but always wanted others to feel for him; and who--wealthy and accomplished, on his deathbed--expressed his love for something so simple.
    The ending has been ruined for me because I, as with just about everyone, already knew what 'Rosebud' was; but nevertheless, this was a superb movie.
    It only deserves about half the hype it has received, however. "Greatest film of all time"?--one of the greatest pieces of American cinema, certainly, but it would seem that those who praise the film as the 'greatest of all time' have never seen anything by European directors.
    Out of life's school of war...

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 @ 09:27 PM
    Country
    Finland Finland
    Having a longtime companion
    Occupation
    X-Rays & Uranium
    Religion
    I Exist.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    King Kong (1976)

How come almost all 70's films, even those with a large budjet, are of such extremely bad visual quality? Movies from the 50s and 60s can be clear as anything, and then suddenly this drop into fuzzy optics? Anyway..

Despite trying to make the film as contemporary as possible (the oil-crisis leads to the discovery of Kong as geologists believe oil can be found under the Island, replacing the Empire State Building with NYC's (then) only 3 year old World Trade Center..) it falls flat on its face. The monkey suit may not be the worst I've seen, but the film left me feeling I had wasted the time it took to watch it. Everyone knows the story, the effects are lousy by todays standards, and why does the blonde seem like she's just had an orgasm after every scene with Kong? And if that ape doesn't look horny, nothing does (eg looking at her through a window before kidnapping her in New York).

*sigh*

Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)

A retirement home in Texas. Elvis Presley and a black John F. Kennedy ("They dyed me!") are living their last days and no-one believes they are who they claim. A mummy dressed in snakeskin boots and a cowboy hat starts killing people in the night. Let Battle Commence.

eyes: I had high hopes for this one, being quite a fan of Bruce Campbell, but sadly this horror-comedy lacks drive and just about everything else too. Campbell does a fair Elvis; bitter, cynical and contemplating his life, but other than his mental monologues this movie is utter garbage, unsuccessful in both its comedy and its "horror".

Last Online
    Saturday, January 28th, 2006 @ 10:32 PM
    Taxidermist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus
    King Kong (1976)

How come almost all 70's films, even those with a large budjet, are of such extremely bad visual quality? Movies from the 50s and 60s can be clear as anything, and then suddenly this drop into fuzzy optics? Anyway..
    It was an artistic device.

The use of fog filters was indeed prevalent during the 70s period. Supposedly it came from tv commercials although the counter-culture and drug experimentation of the late 60s was also a factor. It then developed into a sort of stylistic subtext about the blurring of moral absolutes and the heightened sense of moral relativism felt in modern society.

The classic misty filter look is still a staple of washing powder and detergent infomercials though.

Your thesis for today will consist of discussing what impact the election of Ronald Reagan, and the 'moral rearmament' and re-entrenchment of traditional values implicit in his politics, had on the use of this device in Hollywood cinematography during the early 80s.

:
    "If you are going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you."

- George Bernard Shaw

Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2006 @ 05:04 AM
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I saw King Kong y'day. Apart from the usual PC drivel (a negro first officer on an American ship in the 1930s...) it was a very good film. Very entertaining, an adventurefilm for everyone to see.
    "This isn't an adventure story. Is it, Mr. Hayes?"
    "No, Jimmy. It's not."

I just saw it today and rather liked it.
    Despite the fact that the storyline followed from one part to another well (thanks to the love-narrative), the film itself seemed to lack coherence. I felt as if there were basically three parts to the film: the New York (and voyage) part, both in the beginning and upon the return; the violent natives part up to where Ann was sacrificed to Kong; and the adventure part in the jungle.
    The film was one part love story (or friendship-story), one part social commentary, and one part 'OMG, masses of primitive people are scary!'
    The insect scene really creeped me out, too.
    Out of life's school of war...

Last Online
    Sunday, July 23rd, 2006 @ 03:08 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nicholas Nickelby (2002)

Lovely. So gratifying to see a beautiful Saxon boy kick *rse and take back his sister's honour, his own honour, help an abused boy, win a lovely girl's hand and re-inherit his destiny. And in today's world of really degraded English these films are a way for English people to experience the richness and potential of their language without the filter of Ali G. and the other murderers of our mother tongue who are turning many of our less fortunate children into people who can barely speak their own language and when they do it's in pidgin English. :

I look forward to the day when the teaching of English is back in the hands of the people who care about it, and who speak it themselves. In my opinion, it is something of a national tragedy when a people's history and heritage, science and technology is delivered to them through foreign minds. A few experts is one thing, a disproportionate number of non-natives is another. All the languages of our sadly multiculturalised world can only really come to people through the medium of a native. All the passion, anger, metaphor and mystique that went into thousands of years of evolution of a language is delivered with forceful and lasting impact by a native teacher and speaker. Just my opinion, but as a D.Litt I feel very strongly about this and so when I see a film like Nicholas Nickleby actually portraying the people it describes in the book and in history I feel that maybe somewhere a light has gone on. Especially when the film was made in 2002. Perhaps there is hope ... :flagge3:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 04:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

<----

The director's cut this time, finally.

As expected the longer version delved deeper into the philosophy of atavistic heathenism. Luckily without compromising the intensity of the theatrical version.

A masterpice and one of my all-time favourites.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2006 @ 05:33 AM
    Occupation
    Wanderer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Tasogare Seibei (Twilight Samurai) 2002

It is very worth seeing if you are fond of the Samurai genre.
    One of those few modern movies which are actually good. :ja:
    The third shall be the final and decisive one.

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool - shun him.
    He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child - teach him.
    He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep - wake him.
    He who knows, and knows that he knows, is wise - follow him.