Other
    Politics
    Living in the real world
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post The Cause of Brachycephalication

This idea came to me as I was reading The Origin of Races. And I may be wrong.

When an animal, including man, becomes domesticated, its brain size is reduced by 10% to 30% of its wild counterpart. And although the overall brain is reduced in size, some parts of the brain increase in size such as the forebrain.

We know that Neanderthals had larger brains than modern man. His skull was doliocephalic, or long and narrow. The posterior part of the brain deals more with senses. A wild animal relies heavily on its sense for survival. A domesticated animal, less on senses and more on thinking rationally in humans or learned behavior such as in a dog. I think we can say with certitude that Neanderthals were less domesticated that Cro Magnon and the current populations of Europe more domesticated than CM.

Given the less need to rely on senses and more on reasoning, the posterior part of the brain has decreased and the forebrain, cerebral cortex, has increased. Thus causing brachycephalication.

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 28th, 2007 @ 02:56 PM
    Subrace
    Corded/UP
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Apolitical
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocreator
    This idea came to me as I was reading The Origin of Races. And I may be wrong.

When an animal, including man, becomes domesticated, its brain size is reduced by 10% to 30% of its wild counterpart. And although the overall brain is reduced in size, some parts of the brain increase in size such as the forebrain.

We know that Neanderthals had larger brains than modern man. His skull was doliocephalic, or long and narrow. The posterior part of the brain deals more with senses. A wild animal relies heavily on its sense for survival. A domesticated animal, less on senses and more on thinking rationally in humans or learned behavior such as in a dog. I think we can say with certitude that Neanderthals were less domesticated that Cro Magnon and the current populations of Europe more domesticated than CM.

Given the less need to rely on senses and more on reasoning, the posterior part of the brain has decreased and the forebrain, cerebral cortex, has increased. Thus causing brachycephalication.

Brachycephalic heads have greater volume than dolichocephalic ones. That's why scientists speculated in the past that humans were tending towards round-headedness to better accommodate their growing brains.

But it now seems that head shapes change due to diet and other enviornmental factors as well as genes.

Last Online
    Thursday, January 18th, 2007 @ 06:36 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    Living in the real world
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Brachycephalic heads have greater volume than dolichocephalic ones.

But Neanderthal was dolicocephalic and had a greater volume than Brachy' ones today.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 12th, 2005 @ 11:45 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid-Baltid (Aistin)
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Occupation
    college student
    Politics
    Environmentalism and eugenics
    Religion
    occultism & Nature worship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

But Neanderthal was dolicocephalic and had a greater volume than Brachy' ones today.
    If that's true, that just means Neandertal had a larger head than we do today. Given the same amount of skull bone area or whatever you wish to call it, a rounder skull is always more space-efficient.

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 28th, 2007 @ 02:56 PM
    Subrace
    Corded/UP
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Apolitical
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, and the elephant head has greater volume too, but so what?

The neanderthals weren't human. And even if they did contribute some genes to the western European gene pool (which I find unlikely), their stock did not evolve into modern humans per se.
    Last edited by Polak; Wednesday, August 6th, 2003 at 10:01 AM.