Thread: 'A New Diversity': Race and Ethnicity in the Appalachian Region

Last Online
    Monday, May 1st, 2006 @ 11:26 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Dealing with the New Diversity

During the 1990s, the growing racial and ethnic diversity in the United States also manifested itself in the Appalachian region. The share of minorities in Appalachia increased from 9 percent in 1990 to 12 percent in 2000, and nearly half of the residents added to the Appalachian population were minority. Moreover, the tripling of the region's Hispanic population in the 1990s shows the increasing diversity of Appalachia's minority population, although African Americans still constituted two-thirds of the region's minorities.

Census Bureau estimates from 2002 suggest that the racial and ethnic trends of the 1990s in Appalachia are continuing. (U.S. Census Bureau, "County Population Estimates by Race Alone and Hispanic or Latino Origin: July 1, 2002," various state files accessed at eire.census.gov/popest/data/counties/CO-EST2002-ASRO-02.php, on Dec. 2, 2003.) Nearly half of Appalachia's additional 321,000 residents since 2000 have been minority; Latinos alone made up one-fourth of the additional population. As a result, racial and ethnic minorities-increasingly diverse but still mostly African American-now account for 13 percent of Appalachia's population.

What are the implications of Appalachia's growing racial and ethnic diversity? For starters, the combination of increased migration of minority residents and the higher fertility of minorities (the latter a result of the younger age structure of many minorities) will fuel further increases in Appalachia's minority populations. This greater presence will in turn challenge decision makers in both the public and private sector to address integrating minorities into existing communities. As the numbers of blacks, Latinos, and other minorities continue to grow in Appalachia's public school system and its work force, the region's decision makers will have to address the region's racial and ethnic disparities as expressed in social indicators such as poverty and education. As with the rest of the United States, how Appalachia deals with the new realities of its diversity ultimately will shape the region's future for decades to come.

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Re: "'A New Diversity': Race and Ethnicity in the Applachian Region

Quote Originally Posted by Todesritter
    Interesting, great post.

Thanks. Those are the facts of the matter according the federal government. I'll be offering some commentary later and of course invite others to do so.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 10:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I confirm Todesritter comment. GREAT post. I appreciate particularly this kind of threads ; Very good Appalachian, you know very well your area. It's really interesting learning something on an area not signed on the standard maps (at least here in Europe. If i say "Appalachia", the major part of people i know ignore its simple location) ; like many know, exist some areas not characterized by a human confine but by a natural one (mountains, rivers etc.) or certain geographical traits.

Definetly, this is an example of what i like of Skadi . The possibility of learning more on certain cultural subjects or on certain realities of geographical -ethnic- historical value. Probaly i couldn't give a similar "portrait" of my land.

Good to hear that Appalachia is one of the last american areas still white (nearly 90%). Your posts are exhaustive. Complete with some pics of the Appalachian scenario and places, if you can.

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 04:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

My father's family is from Appalachia. It seems that Chattanooga has changed so much since when I was a child. It looks like a completely different place, more like Houston. I never thought it would become so diverse.

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Tiger
    I confirm Todesritter comment. GREAT post. I appreciate particularly this kind of threads ; Very good Appalachian, you know very well your area.
    Thanks, but I certainly can't take credit for it. It's a cut and paste job of a public domain research report from the Applachian Regional Commission, a federal entity founded in the 1960s after the fedgov declared "War on Poverty" in response to a series of television specials, prompted partially by the popularity of "The Beverly Hillbillies," focusing on poverty in the region (exclusively, ignoring the region's many good points).

It's really interesting learning something on an area not signed on the standard maps (at least here in Europe. If i say "Appalachia", the major part of people i know ignore its simple location) ; like many know, exist some areas not characterized by a human confine but by a natural one (mountains, rivers etc.) or certain geographical traits.
    Well, many Americans who take a look at the map the ARC uses to define the region may likewise be quite surprised to find that the government says they live in Appalachia, and many of the people who do feel themselves part of the region might say that many areas the ARC says are in the region are less "Appalachian" than other areas.

The ARC uses its definition of the region for purposes of studies like the one above, for social welfare programs, etc.

Definetly, this is an example of what i like of Skadi . The possibility of learning more on certain cultural subjects or on certain realities of geographical -ethnic- historical value.
    Yupp, that's what it's all about.

Probaly i couldn't give a similar "portrait" of my land.
    You may be surprised what's out there floating around. Of course, if it's in Italian, you'll have to translate for us.

Good to hear that Appalachia is one of the last american areas still white (nearly 90%).
    Yupp, but as figure 4 shows, some parts of the region are Whiter than others. Poor Georgia has been very hard hit, showing a greater than 200% increase in minorities within a ten year period.

Your posts are exhaustive. Complete with some pics of the Appalachian scenario and places, if you can.
    Will do, but maybe in another thread. Thanks again for your kind words.
    Last edited by Appalachian; Sunday, July 17th, 2005 at 09:31 AM.

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
    My father's family is from Appalachia. It seems that Chattanooga has changed so much since when I was a child. It looks like a completely different place, more like Houston. I never thought it would become so diverse.

Yupp. Lots of changes.

I think the data attest to that.

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 11:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian
    New York: Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Otsego, Schoharie, Schuyler, Steuben, Tioga, and Tompkins

Hah! New York State as a part of Appalachia?! Guess what my friend? I'm part Appalachian then! Some of the Dutch strains of my family settled in Schoharie County....Gilboa and Blenheim to be exact.

Great info Appalachian.

Last Online
    Thursday, February 11th, 2010 @ 12:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Germanic
    Ancestry
    Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English, Scottish
    Subrace
    Nordalpinoid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Engraving
    Religion
    Gnesio evangelical catholick
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Great info. My grandmother's from Cullman, AL. I didn't realize that was considered Appalachian.

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Welcome to the family, gentlemen.

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Tiger
    Complete with some pics of the Appalachian scenario and places, if you can.
    The Beautiful:

The Ugly:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast