State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

As an Anglo-Saxon, please let me make the following observations:

1. Hingist and Horsa are the founders always cited but it is also always cited that these guys may just be fictional or figureheads.

2. Proper English people are more than a little embarassed at having founders who were basically just raiders who stayed.

3. In reference to #2, educated English always longed for a true, classical origin of their culture and people. All sorts of attempts at this have been made in English literature and it still goes on today with this notion that the House of Windsor is somehow descended from Christ.

4. Anglo-Saxons are Germans, pure and simple and if they were ever told, fully and completely how close they were to their cousins on the mainland it is doubtfull if they would have been so eager to fight so many wars against them.

5. American Anglo-Saxons are even more ignorant of their racial heritage than those in Britain. This is consistant with the fact that Americans are the "most stupid people to ever evolve from blue-green slime", as my attorny says. I feel able to say this because I am an American.

5. The book in question by the British Professor is just another attempt to clean up Hingist and Horsa, his ancestors, in a way more acceptable to classically minded sensibilities.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Essex Essex
    Putinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Thumbs Up

Thank you Dr. Solar Wolff for clearing this up!

Excellent post, true and to the point.

Loki

Last Online
    Wednesday, October 1st, 2003 @ 11:23 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    proud to be white, but I hate racism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

quote :

``Britain, as told to the Y chromosome
    Nicholas Wade NYT

History books favor stories of conquest, not of continuity, so it is perhaps not surprising that many Englishmen grow up believing they are a fighting mixture of the Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Danes, Vikings and Normans who invaded Britain. The defeated Celts, by this reckoning, left their legacy only in the hinterlands of Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
    A new genetic survey of Y chromosomes throughout the British Isles has revealed a very different story. The Celtic inhabitants of Britain were real survivors. Nowhere were they entirely replaced by the invaders and they survive in high proportions, often 50 percent or more, throughout the British Isles, according to a study by Cristian Capelli, David Goldstein and others at University College London.
    The study, reported Tuesday in Current Biology, was based on comparing Y chromosomes sampled throughout the British Isles with the invaders' Y chromosomes, as represented by the present-day descendants of the Danes, Vikings (in Norway) and Anglo-Saxons (in Schleswig-Holstein in northern Germany). The survey began as a request from the BBC to look for genetic signatures of the Vikings in England, later broadened to include Danes and Anglo-Saxons. Goldstein said that not enough money was available to study two other invaders, the Romans and the Normans, but that he felt that their demographic contribution had probably been small.``

http://www.iht.com/articles/97790.html

another quote :

``Surprising lack of Anglo-Saxon DNA

Thursday June 26, 2003
    The Guardian

A new survey of Y chromosomes in the British Isles suggests that the Anglo-Saxons failed to leave as much of a genetic stamp on the UK as history books imply.
    Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Danes, Vikings and Normans invaded Britain repeatedly between 50BC and AD1050. Many historians ascribe much of the British ancestry to the Anglo-Saxons because their written legacy overshadows that of the Celts.

But the Y chromosomes of the regions tell a different story. "The Celts weren't pushed to the fringes of Scotland and Wales; a lot of them remained in England and central Ireland," says David Goldstein, of University College London. This is surprising: the Anglo-Saxons reputedly colonized southern England heavily.``

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/dispa...984738,00.html

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    State
    Essex Essex
    Putinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Hahaha, the Jew Goldstein's study is not very enlightening. Why not? Because only one of his sample locations came from East Anglia, where the Anglo-Saxons settled most heavily. He doesn't even have a single sampling done in central England (the Anglo-Saxon "Mercia"). Besides, his samplings took no account for racial differentiation, and were too small to mean anything.

http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/capelli2_CB.pdf

Sideways to the Sun
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, September 18th, 2008 @ 05:55 PM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Rebel
    Politics
    Anti-Neophilia
    Religion
    Traditional Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Hahaha, the Jew Goldstein's study is not very enlightening. Why not? Because only one of his sample locations came from East Anglia, where the Anglo-Saxons settled most heavily. He doesn't even have a single sampling done in central England (the Anglo-Saxon "Mercia"). Besides, his samplings took no account for racial differentiation, and were too small to mean anything.

http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/capelli2_CB.pdf
    Yes, I saw a similar study or perhaps the same one whch was sponsered by the BBC to look for signs of the Vikings genetic legacy in Britain.
    While Norwegian and English source populations showed a great deal of similarity, the Celtic populations (Scots, Irish and Welsh) proved to be quite disimilar. In fact they shared a genetic marker which was fairly unique and the only thing similar to it was found in Basques. It's theorised that it points to descendants of Europe's pre-farming (ie. pre-Indo-European) population.

In addition, you would have a hard time convincing the majority of the "Celtic peoples" that the English are fellow Celts

Last Online
    Subrace
    Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

``While Norwegian and English source populations showed a great deal of similarity``

I would like to have a link to the source where you get that information from, because I have read a lot of dna studies about the English and the Scandinavians but I have never seen one that claims the Norwegian dna is identical to the English dna.

There is no study that proves that. You are mistaken with the Dutch-Frisians. The Dutch-Frisians (northern-Netherlands) are almost the same as the (eastern) English.
    The Norwegian, Swedish and Danish dna is far from any English group.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    State
    Essex Essex
    Putinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cbvnm
    You don't know what you're talking about. The nation that is genetically closest to the English, is Denmark.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Subrace
    Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

``You don't know what you're talking about. The nation that is genetically closest to the English, is Denmark.``

Completely rubbish.

Danish people are similar to Sleeswijk Holstein (north-Germany near the Danish border), Norway and Sweden

The nation that is closest to England is the Netherlands. The Dutch-Frisians are identical to the East-English and the West-English (Cornwall etc) are identical to the southern-Dutch

Sideways to the Sun
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, September 18th, 2008 @ 05:55 PM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Rebel
    Politics
    Anti-Neophilia
    Religion
    Traditional Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cbvnm
    ``While Norwegian and English source populations showed a great deal of similarity``

I would like to have a link to the source where you get that information from, because I have read a lot of dna studies about the English and the Scandinavians but I have never seen one that claims the Norwegian dna is identical to the English dna.

There is no study that proves that. You are mistaken with the Dutch-Frisians. The Dutch-Frisians (northern-Netherlands) are almost the same as the (eastern) English.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/program...sults_01.shtml

The results show the the English population is a mix of Angle, Saxon, Viking and Briton genes. The figures increase towards more "Celtic" types as you move west and north, following the routes that the Celtic populations retreated before the Germanic advances.

If you read my initial post you will see that I did not say that Norwegian and English DNA were identical, you said that. I said they were very similar in that obvious similarities were found that were not found in non-English populations sources of the British Isles and Ireland. Please avoid putting words into my mouth.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Milesian : yes its true that the English are not exactly the same as the Scots, Irish and Welsh

but the English are also not the same as the Scandinavians in dna

The English are intermediate between Scandinavians and Scots/Irish/Welsh, but the English are closer to the Scots/Irish/Welsh than to the Scandinavians

There is only one conclusion to this data : English people are a mix of Celtic and Germanic with the Celtic being more important than the germanic

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast