Country
    United States United States
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Blue Eyes Versus Other

This is from wikipedia.org. It says blue eyes are much more easily damaged by sunlight then green or brown eyes. If so, do blue eyes have any special benefit or are they simply worse? Here is the quote:

Blue eyes are a relatively rare eye color. They are found mainly in people of northern European descent, and to a lesser extent, in people of southern Europe. In Finland there is the highest percentage of blue-eyed people, 90 per cent. Many Caucasian/White babies are born with blue eyes, though their eyes will darken, or change color. Most infants' eye color is set within a couple of days to a couple of weeks, though some people's eye color will continue to change for a number of years.

Blue eye color is a recessive trait, and the gene must be present (though not necessarily apparent) in both parents for a child to be born with blue eyes.

Blue eye color also contains less melanin, which protects from sun damage. Consequently, blue-eyed people are more susceptible to retinal damage or related conditions due to extensive sun exposure.

Eyes without melanin appear blue due to selective scattering of light in the transparant iris; no blue pigment is involved (Rayleigh scattering, the same phenomenon that causes the blue color of the sky).

In the mid-20th century, blue eyes were considered very desirable in those aspiring to be Hollywood actors and actresses. This became less true toward the latter half of that century.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Post Re: Blue eyes versus other

Worse or Better depending on who you ask.
    But I say better because I'm stuck with them.

Last Online
    Friday, August 3rd, 2012 @ 11:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    celto-germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

In the mid-20th century, blue eyes were considered very desirable in those aspiring to be Hollywood actors and actresses. This became less true toward the latter half of that century.
    So it became less popular to look like a pure European in Hollywood more recently - gosh, thanks Wikipedia ... I never would have known.

Well, silliness aside, to answer your question simplex, I know at least blue eyes seem to enhance peripheral vision relative to the overall norm, which would be a benefit in survival/defense situations. I have read this in multiple sources a few years back and could hunt them up and cite directly if you like. As I am not an expert on other matters related to blue eyes, I do not have other substantive information with regard to the advantages of blue eyes to mitigate the weaknesses, but have heard anecdotal testaments to it being the best eye color for someone who already has 20/20 vision or better for giving their already good distance vision a boost, for extreme distance vision for spotting things at the threshold of visibility in the sky, such as Air Force personnel and in particular fighter pilots. My grandfather got routed out of the Army recruit line-up initially for this reason apparently for instance, and placed in the Air Force recruit queue during WWII.

…I am sure someone else here can offer some cool information and facts, yes?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Todesritter
    . As I am not an expert on other matters related to blue eyes, I do not have other substantive information with regard to the advantages of blue eyes to mitigate the weaknesses, but have heard anecdotal testaments to it being the best eye color for someone who already has 20/20 vision or better for giving their already good distance vision a boost, for extreme distance vision for spotting things at the threshold of visibility in the sky, such as Air Force personnel and in particular fighter pilots. My grandfather got routed out of the Army recruit line-up initially for this reason apparently for instance, and placed in the Air Force recruit queue during WWII.
    …I am sure someone else here can offer some cool information and facts, yes?
    I'm not expert sincerely, but i have a similar case in my family. My grandfather was a pilot-instructor of Air Force during the war. His vision was absolutely perfect (20/20) and his eyes were pale-grey.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 14th, 2010 @ 06:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italo-brazilian
    Subrace
    Dinaric Atlanto-Mediterranean
    Occupation
    Information Terrorist
    Politics
    Carthago Delenda Est
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by simplex
    This is from wikipedia.org. It says blue eyes are much more easily damaged by sunlight then green or brown eyes. If so, do blue eyes have any special benefit or are they simply worse? Here is the quote:
    I dont known if it is true, but when I go to walk in days with too much sunlight, my eyes (that are blue) got in pain easy. I was thinking that was the eyeglasses, but when I go without them, is the same. Much people get envious about blue eyes, I think that is because of this use as a standard of beauty, and some people (generally women) use contact lenses (argh) to imitate blue eyes.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, December 18th, 2006 @ 03:20 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    Politics
    I'm left handed but always right
    Religion
    Computers and the games
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Light eyes are supposed to be better at seeing in the dark because more light gets absorbed into the eye, while dark eyes like brown & black block out the light hence why you mostly get them in hot and sunny climates, this is just something ive picked up from a website somewhere.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 08:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Odin Biggles
    Light eyes are supposed to be better at seeing in the dark because more light gets absorbed into the eye, while dark eyes like brown & black block out the light hence why you mostly get them in hot and sunny climates, this is just something ive picked up from a website somewhere.
    I've heard this as well on TV, but I don't understand how it could be true as, surely, any light that reaches the back of the eye by diffusing through the iris would be unfocused, and thus only add noise to the image formed on the retina.

If anyone can shed any more light on this issue I would be interested.

Last Online
    Friday, December 2nd, 2005 @ 11:43 PM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I have something to say about eye color and absorbing light. Remember we see light that is not absorbed. White being all colors reflected, black being all colors absorbed. So if one were to have brown or black eyes, more light is being absorbed.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, December 18th, 2006 @ 03:20 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    Politics
    I'm left handed but always right
    Religion
    Computers and the games
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have blue eyes and spent my teenage years in the sun. At about 30, a co-worker told me I had a little blister on each eye and suggested I see a doctor. I did, immediately. He was an Asian but told me he was married to a blue-eyed woman who had exactly what I had. I forget the medical name but this little blister is not glycoma or anything bad. The doctor said it was a response to sun exposure among light-eyed people and nothing to worry about. Probably Australians are familiar with it.
    Ive never heard such a story before, next time I go to the doctors/opticians I think i'll enquire about this .

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast