View Poll Results: What Is Your Mother Tongue?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

48 41.74%
  • German

17 14.78%
  • Dutch

5 4.35%
  • Afrikaans

3 2.61%
  • Swedish

8 6.96%
  • Danish

3 2.61%
  • Norwegian

6 5.22%
  • Faroese

0 0%
  • Icelandic

1 0.87%
  • Scots

0 0%
  • Other (Germanic, not listed)

2 1.74%
  • Other (non-Germanic)

24 20.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 26 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Mother Tongue?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Post What Is Your Mother Tongue?

What Is Your Mother Tongue? The language you learned first. If you learned two at the same time. Select both.
    Last edited by Northern Paladin; Thursday, June 30th, 2005 at 05:54 PM.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, August 9th, 2005 @ 06:54 PM
    Country
    England England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: What Is Your Mother Tongue?

English is the World-Language.

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

German.

..I hope the upcoming world language.

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 @ 01:24 PM
    Subrace
    Arya/Paleoeuropeidal (norda) :D
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Fairness
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Other, other and other.

Slovene, i.e. an obscure dialect thereof.
    "slavic" languages are absolutely arteficial (Read "slawenlegende"). The "glagolica", invented by a bunch of monks, is nothing but an ancient esperanto, creating new words, definitions and alphabet out of regional slangs.

The craddle of European Civilization comes from the North. All blond people originate from the north. So if you see a blond-blue eyed Slovene, Russian, Czech, Polak ect., you can be 100% sure that his ancient ancestors originated from "Germanics" (Germanic = Nordic).
    "slovenja" was the settelment of the Langobards = Germanics/Teutons. "Poland" of the Goths and East-Vandals ect. ect. What do "slavs" tell us about their origin?
    Some silly story that they originate from some swamps in the east and popped out of no where into history.

So you see my dear "Gorostan" [=Triglav], you are in reality a "Germanic" indoctrinated with panslav propaganda and historic fantasy stories. ~Dr. Brandt, former TNP and Skadi member

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, February 25th, 2017 @ 02:03 PM
    Married, happily
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Getting interested in linguistics, are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Paladin
    What Is Your Mother Tongue? The language you learned first. If you learned two at the same time. Select both.

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 04:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Inglés.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, October 7th, 2006 @ 01:24 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Re:

What Is Your Mother Tongue?
    English, of course.

I spoke German as a child also, as my grandmother was German and spoke very limited english (she refused to embrace it when my grandfather brought her here), but my fluency in the language has since stagnated from disuse. I still possess a basic understanding of it, but only with careful consideration and great difficulty... My grandma died when I was 11, and when she went... so did the German.

I am curious, if you are fluent in a language as a child, yet stop speaking that language for years and seem to have forgotten it, where does this knowledge go? Is it lost forever or is it just misplaced, filed away somewhere in the brain, waiting to be awakened by re-introduction... or does one have to learn it all over again from the start?

It just seems to me that if you've known something, like a language, very well at one time, even as a child (which might be a positive, as children's brains are more absorbant and retaining of information than adult's), that there would be a way to access or regain this knowledge very easily with the right stimulation and exercise, or language immersion... maybe even some kind of hypno-therapy? Or, do our brains completely delete information that we no longer use, making it forever irretrievable?

Perhaps I'm just hoping for an easier way to regain my lost linguistic aptitude... something instantaneous, rather than having to tackle the German language from square one. (sounds quite lazy, I know )

Any thoughts?
    "Nature! We are surrounded and embraced by her:
    powerless to separate ourselves from her, and powerless to penetrate beyond her.

Without asking, or warning, she snatches us up into her circling dance, and whirls us on until we are tired, and drop from her arms." - Goethe

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Post Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Nordraserei
    Getting interested in linguistics, are you?
    Yes. Seems so doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by TisaAnne
    English, of course.

I spoke German as a child also, as my grandmother was German and spoke very limited english (she refused to embrace it when my grandfather brought her here), but my fluency in the language has since stagnated from disuse. I still possess a basic understanding of it, but only with careful consideration and great difficulty... My grandma died when I was 11, and when she went... so did the German.

I am curious, if you are fluent in a language as a child, yet stop speaking that language for years and seem to have forgotten it, where does this knowledge go? Is it lost forever or is it just misplaced, filed away somewhere in the brain, waiting to be awakened by re-introduction... or does one have to learn it all over again from the start?

It just seems to me that if you've known something, like a language, very well at one time, even as a child (which might be a positive, as children's brains are more absorbant and retaining of information than adult's), that there would be a way to access or regain this knowledge very easily with the right stimulation and exercise, or language immersion... maybe even some kind of hypno-therapy? Or, do our brains completely delete information that we no longer use, making it forever irretrievable?

Perhaps I'm just hoping for an easier way to regain my lost linguistic aptitude... something instantaneous, rather than having to tackle the German language from square one. (sounds quite lazy, I know )

Any thoughts?
    I believe it's filed away. Once you learn a language you gain some apitutude for it even if mastery escapes you.

The right kind of "exercise" would be simply practicing and ideally full immersion. If you were to live in Germany for a few years or even a Summer your German would vastly improve.

Unforunately there are no shortcuts and perhaps that's the way it should be.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 25th, 2008 @ 04:16 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Re:

The same thing happened to my German and Swedish. I'm from an originally trilingual family, my third mother tongue is Finnish, but my Swedish and German have gotten rusty from disuse, and nowadays I use no other language than Finnish in my everyday life. I can still speak Swedish better than most Swedes (they often say han instead of honom, which is like saying he instead of him, and that really sounds retarded), but I can't actually speak German anymore, in the sense of having a fluent conversation, although I can understand 100 % of the content of German newspaper or magazine articles.

It just seems to me that if you've known something, like a language, very well at one time, even as a child (which might be a positive, as children's brains are more absorbant and retaining of information than adult's), that there would be a way to access or regain this knowledge very easily with the right stimulation and exercise, or language immersion...
    Yes, I think so.

maybe even some kind of hypno-therapy?
    Hypnosis is bullshit. It doesn't work.

Or, do our brains completely delete information that we no longer use, making it forever irretrievable?
    No, I think a forgotten language can be easily revived. If I moved to a German-speaking country, I would probably sound like a native after just a few months.
    Neither assimilation nor integration will solve the problems. The only thing that would work from my point of view would be separation. And this separation should be done on a global level, not on a communal level. The western countries here, the islamic countries there. And a very tall border between the two worlds please.

-- Valkyrie

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 14th, 2005 @ 04:37 PM
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Viure de tangar guiris.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Catalan is my mother tongue, it is currently spoken by ten million people in Europe, and its geographical area arises from Eastern Iberian Paeninsula (Spain) to Perpinyà (now a French dominion), it is also spoken in Majorca islands and in l´Alguer (Corsica).

Catalan languague is taught in most important world wide universities and had its golden age during the XIV and XV century when the Catalan Empire dominated the Mediterranean, Italy, Greece and Byzantium.

Catalan language is very similar to Occitan (language d´hoc) and French, due to its birth in a populated area at the Goth´s Septimania it still keeps a lot of Gemanisms, as for example Faubel for grey or Escrig for spear.

Page 1 of 26 12345611 ... LastLast