Politics
    I'm left handed but always right
    Religion
    Computers and the games
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: Is Withdraw From Iraq Imminent?

Only if senators from the US states start to voice loudly they want it.

Dont personally see it happening myself, British troops are being told they could be in Afghanistan and Iraq for another 3 years if more.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 26th, 2005 @ 04:22 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I don't see how they can withdraw at this point, not soon. If they do so the simmering resentment between Sunnis and Shi'as will very likely lead to a civil war that would break-up the country. Add the Kurdish question and the likelihood of intervention in support of various factions by Iran, Saudi Arabia, Syria and Turkey, and the result is the potential for a protracted and larger-scale war in a region that has by far the world's largest oil reserves. That would spell disaster for the US economy.

Having dug itself into this pit, the US surely has little choice but to muddle through. My bet is that in the near term the US is going to make increasing use of private security forces/mercenaries to make up for the strain the conflict is placing on the US military itself.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 07:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

You guys make me feel so old. Often, I wish for help from my generation here at Skadi. I have seen this all before in a day by day progression. So did W. but he was on drugs then. Did anybody hear Bush tonight saying something like: As the Iraqi forces are trained and stand up, Americans will stand down. Yea, I remember this when it was called "Vietnamization of the war". That, along with: "inspite of it all, there is light at the end of the tunnel" from those days.

Let's get real. Bush wouldn't be doing the Lyndon Johnson-type speeches if there wasn't a problem. There is a huge problem. The American will to fight will run out long before that of the Iraqis and for good reason. It is their country. Besides this, he has been caught in lie after lie after lie and we are running out of patience and lies. Sooner or later discussion will turn to the three real reasons for this war, Israel, Israel and Isreal and when it does, our days in Iraq are numbered.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 26th, 2005 @ 04:22 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Solar Wolff
    Let's get real. Bush wouldn't be doing the Lyndon Johnson-type speeches if there wasn't a problem. There is a huge problem. The American will to fight will run out long before that of the Iraqis and for good reason. It is their country. Besides this, he has been caught in lie after lie after lie and we are running out of patience and lies. Sooner or later discussion will turn to the three real reasons for this war, Israel, Israel and Isreal and when it does, our days in Iraq are numbered.
    You make some good points. But, I think the difference between Vietnam and Iraq is that, the Domino Theory concerning SE Asia notwithstanding, the US has a much greater strategic interest in Iraq than it ever did in Vietnam, due to Iraq's oil supplies, its proximity to the oil-rich nations of Saudi Arabia and Iran, and its own additction to oil from the Middle East. Anything that further destabilizes the region will have significant negative reprecussions for the US economy.

The problem for the Bush administration is that they have set out on an imperial project in this region which simply isn't supported by the American people, at least not when it comes to putting their own lives or those of their children on the line. But, if withdrawal from Iraq leads to even more chaos in that country and beyond, as it very well may, the US economy will be in serious trouble. The US is effectively in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position at the moment. Americans have to ask themselves what sort of price they're really willing to pay to sustain their oil-fueled, mass consumption economy.
    Last edited by Telperion; Thursday, June 30th, 2005 at 06:41 AM.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, August 9th, 2005 @ 06:54 PM
    Country
    England England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, conscription will be reinstated and the war will expand into Iran and other Middle-Eastern countries and E.U. armed forces will be brought in until it becomes the Third World War.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 28th, 2011 @ 07:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish (basically)
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Solar Wolff
    You guys make me feel so old. Often, I wish for help from my generation here at Skadi. I have seen this all before in a day by day progression.
    Perhaps you should talk to my father's cousins, who willingly went to Vietnam knowing exactly what they were fighting for, and with the full support of their father, a World War II veteran.

Let's get real. Bush wouldn't be doing the Lyndon Johnson-type speeches if there wasn't a problem.
    On the contrary, there is great opposition to this war, and many people have falsely likened it to the trouble of Vietnam, so obviously there is reason to make reference to this.

Interestingly, in this war, as in Vietnam, the opposition is primarily coming from the left. They don't like to see left-wing totalitarianism being opposed.

Sooner or later discussion will turn to the three real reasons for this war, Israel, Israel and Isreal and when it does, our days in Iraq are numbered.
    I wonder what the Vietnam War had to do with Israel

Last Online
    Monday, December 18th, 2006 @ 04:20 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    Politics
    I'm left handed but always right
    Religion
    Computers and the games
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard Bush has already signed off the plans to attack Iran, so its not if its when.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Telperion
    I don't see how they can withdraw at this point, not soon. If they do so the simmering resentment between Sunnis and Shi'as will very likely lead to a civil war that would break-up the country. Add the Kurdish question and the likelihood of intervention in support of various factions by Iran, Saudi Arabia, Syria and Turkey, and the result is the potential for a protracted and larger-scale war in a region that has by far the world's largest oil reserves. That would spell disaster for the US economy.

Having dug itself into this pit, the US surely has little choice but to muddle through. My bet is that in the near term the US is going to make increasing use of private security forces/mercenaries to make up for the strain the conflict is placing on the US military itself.
    Yes I think so redrawing now is not the thing to do. It would forfeit all the effort put into this endeavor.

Though there is a long road ahead. Trying to flush foreign terrorists out is no easy business when you have a country as large as Iraq.

The best path to take is to stay in. In any event it is good training for the military.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 07:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydderch
    Perhaps you should talk to my father's cousins, who willingly went to Vietnam knowing exactly what they were fighting for, and with the full support of their father, a World War II veteran.

On the contrary, there is great opposition to this war, and many people have falsely likened it to the trouble of Vietnam, so obviously there is reason to make reference to this.

Interestingly, in this war, as in Vietnam, the opposition is primarily coming from the left. They don't like to see left-wing totalitarianism being opposed.

I wonder what the Vietnam War had to do with Israel
    Rhydderch, You are an example of why I like Australians so much. I and most of the kids in my generation supported the war in Vietnam. My high school friends signed up, some on the buddy system, and we followed their progress from battle to battle, duty station to duty station, Christmas candy and cookies, letters of support, all the way until some of them made it home. The Vietnam war took a terrrible toll on my generation. I know Australians fought their bravely and we all thank them for helping us and this is no bullshit. In college, against the liberal tide, I supported the war and asked why we should not either bring them home now or bomb North Vietnam with atomic weaponry.

Rhydderch, the nicest guy in my high school class joined the Navy but because the was the best we had, he volunteered to be a corpman, (medic) and was transferred to the Marines. There, he served in every major battle, pluging up bleeding Marines with little more than this fingers sometimes. He died in Vietnam. My top highschool running back (football) died in Vietnam. Our basketball star died in Vietnam. One skinny friend with a lot of guts volunteered to slide down enemy tunnels and fought it our underground for hours and hours down there just like in the movies.

This war was hard on everyone of my generation and everyone of my generation learned something from it, except, apparently, George W. Bush. It is not unknowlingly that I am against what we are doing now. It is with full understanding that I make these comparisons. It is not out of disloyality since, as evidenced by this war, I did not leave my country, my country left me. Now, we are in a no-win, no-hope position as has been explained by posts above. What should I do? The military is not interested in me, should I advocate throwing the lives of other people's children away? Should I minimize the lives of Iraqis, calling them sub-human names like "Hadjies" just as Vietnamese were called "Slopes". No. I should do what is right for the real good of all concerned.

Their is a relationship between Israel and Vietnam, as improbable as that seems. Do you want to hear it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast