Thread: What is Your Religion/Faith?

Last Online
    Tuesday, January 24th, 2006 @ 12:06 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLEMALL!
    Baptized a Lutheran, (Due respect Greatgrandparents & Grandparents) My poor Grandfather as a teen had to help build the Church! However, I am an Athiest :icon_smil
    I haven't been baptized, but I feel affiliated to lutheran community. I don't believe in god, but I support the values church is promoting, and therefore I want to get baptized before I die

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, October 3rd, 2005 @ 02:25 AM
    Occupation
    student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler
    This Second Law of Thermodynamics argument has been refuted numerous times. In a nutshell, what you are saying applies only to closed systems. The Earth's biosphere is not a closed system. The increase in order and complexity in the biosphere has been paid for by the sun in the form of electromagnetic energy in the infrared, optical, and ultraviolet bands.
    The whole Universe is a closed system.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, October 3rd, 2005 @ 02:25 AM
    Occupation
    student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserner Adler
    (to Draugr) Ok, so? How does that justify the deaths of tens of thousands each at the hands of Charlemagne and the Teutonic Knights in Gaul and Germania?
    Karl de Grosse was a Frank who kept to the warrior path of his ancestors. And what are you talking about with Gaul and Germania those were names used by the Romans to designate what is now France and Germany, the Teutonic knights were a Crusading order who practiced on the Lithuanians.

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Draugr
    This Second Law of Thermodynamics argument has been refuted numerous times. In a nutshell, what you are saying applies only to closed systems. The Earth's biosphere is not a closed system. The increase in order and complexity in the biosphere has been paid for by the sun in the form of electromagnetic energy in the infrared, optical, and ultraviolet bands.
    True, but experiments have been done which contradict the Second Law of Thermodynamics. See this link for an example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2135779.stm

Last Online
    Saturday, March 5th, 2005 @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Karl de Grosse was a Frank who kept to the warrior path of his ancestors. And what are you talking about with Gaul and Germania those were names used by the Romans to designate what is now France and Germany, the Teutonic knights were a Crusading order who practiced on the Lithuanians.
    Charlemegne/Karl der Große beheaded thousands or tens of thousands of his own people for not converting to the alien middle eastern idealogy of X-ianity and also executed those who paid lipservice by claiming to convert but later found to be still practising their millenia old pagan traditions, these actions are centainly contrary to the path of his ancestors. I meant Gaul and Germania in the geographic sense in that the borders of the Frankish Kingdom and all of the municipalities which occupy present day Germany and western Poland were constantly changing, wheras Gaul and Germania are more timeless words for those general areas. The Teutonic Knights did indeed crusade amongst the Lithuanian people, but also among Poles, Prussians and German speaking peoples in areas that were up until 1945, part of Germany.

Last Online
    Friday, June 10th, 2005 @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't agree with religion, but I accept that a god may indeed exist. Thus, I'm agnostic.

An example of order increasing on a small scale is water freezing: liquid water certainly has more entropy than ice (which is in a solid crystalline state).
    While water is more disordered, work must be done in order to solidify it. That is externally put energy into the system. Universally, entropy does not decrease, whilst it appears that the ice has descreased entropy.
    When we say closed, I think the real definition is thermally isolated. Such systems do not trully appear in nature.

The extra energy put into the system means the water is no longer a closed system. Ergo, you're example does not work; this will apply to any other macroscopic example you try. The universe is suggested to be a closed system, for now it's the best explanation. But, apply some agnostic reasoning and we must consider that it may not be completely true. So far, it is accepted the universe IS a closed system.

The possible exceptions I've heard of are at the quantum level, something that we are not able to fully define as we cannot fully describe everything at the quantum level.
    It is a shame that article on the BBC site has no physics for me to read through. Presumably they factored in the energy added from the laser to the system. Either way I'm not convinced, but I would like to hear more.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, March 16th, 2005 @ 08:00 AM
    Subrace
    Dinarid-UP-Kelt Nordid-Alpinid
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Occupation
    Public sector
    Politics
    Misanthrope
    Religion
    None
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The evolution of life, and thus the increase in order, only takes place in a tiny subset(s) of the volume of the Universe.

Last Online
    Friday, June 10th, 2005 @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The evolution of life, and thus the increase in order, only takes place in a tiny subset(s) of the volume of the Universe.
    I believe you may have skipped my post. It clearly explains how an increase in order is possible (thus decrease of entropy, at least apparently). Thanks.

Edit: I just remembered. The 2nd law prevents a perpetual motion machine. The explanation/proof is a bit more than I wish to read through and reiterate online. If the 2nd law has truly proven to be fallacious, then I await the first in the line of perpetual motion machines. If I can figure out how I could be the richest man alive.

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 22nd, 2005 @ 06:38 PM
    Occupation
    Bonde
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grin

I am politically Catholic, socially Protestant and personally Heathen...you'd have to be a Deist to understand it. Is that crazy or what?

Last Online
    Monday, January 23rd, 2006 @ 06:27 AM
    Subrace
    Norðvestrid/NW. Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    agnostic atheist