Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overweight Mothers Produce Fat Children?

Last Online
    Friday, August 17th, 2007 @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midtown Bootboy
    Yes, overweight people symbolize that a race is weak, lazy, greedy and gluttonous.
    That is preposterous! Overweight people symbolize lack of will power in themselves, and/or poorly monitored health and parenting (among other things), NOT that a particular RACE "is weak, lazy, greedy and gluttonous". It ultimately comes down to the individual in the end. It must be taken into account there are people with conditions and/or diseases like hyperactive thyroid, etc.

NO ONE is perfect whether you choose to believe so or not. If you have a few extra pounds (10-20) that does not mean you are weak, lazy, gluttonous, etc. I know plenty of healthy individuals who run or cycle everyday, maintain healthy lifestyles, etc., but still have a few extra pounds and/or even more than a few extra pounds.

I walk between 5 and 10 miles every week, in addition to cycling 5 miles or so per day, and I still have extra baggage but I am healthy! My test results are clear and/or at healthy levels. I have 20/20 vision, my heart rate is a healthy average of 122/80, I have normal blood pressure, etc.

Here is a fairly recent picture:

October 2004

I am by no means skinny or thin.
    I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind - that its modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overcome by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking.

...that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious.

...that all government is evil, in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

...that the evidence for immortality is no better than the evidence of witches, and deserves no more respect.

...in the complete freedom of thought and speech...

...in the capacity of man to conquer his world, and to find out what it is made of, and how it is run.

...in the reality of progress.

I - But the whole thing, after all, may be put very simply. I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie...to be free than to be a slave...to know than be ignorant.

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    P.S. My would definitely agree to a certain extent that certain "fat mothers create fat children". My mom gained a lot of weight during/after her second pregnancy (my younger brother), at least 80 lbs. She also had post-partem disorder which was said to be a cause of her overeating. She often fed us cheap food which is usually the most fatty and has the highest counts of carbohydrates, i.e.: hamburger, pasta, rice, bread, cheese, peanut butter, etc. As children both my brother and I were fed heartily, and there was definitely rapid weight gain for both my brother and I but we were also very active kids. We'd run and swim all day long between March and November.

My dad was used to large meals as a child growing up in the 40s and 50s. It was not uncommon for families of that era to cook and serve large meals. However, during that era children were receiving better educations and were entirely more physically active than children in this day and age.

This based on observation, books, and studies in the U.S.
    I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind - that its modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overcome by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking.

...that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious.

...that all government is evil, in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

...that the evidence for immortality is no better than the evidence of witches, and deserves no more respect.

...in the capacity of man to conquer his world, and to find out what it is made of, and how it is run.

I - But the whole thing, after all, may be put very simply. I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie...to be free than to be a slave...to know than be ignorant.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 04:53 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap
    I am by no means skinny or thin.
    Yes, that's right, you're not.

And: No one is perfect, I agree. E.g., my mother tongue isn't English, so my writings aren't faultless. But everyone should try to reach his personal best, his limit, TRY to be perfect.

You can't do that much to enhance your iq, but you can learn to increase your knowledge. You can't do that much to be pretty, but you can care about yourself. AND: you can do a lot not to be overweight (except if you're fat because of illness). No one needs to be fat and ugly and a shame for the human race.

By the way: To have one or two extra pounds - that's not so bad. But to be fat, that is.

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weiSSesMädel
    Yes, that's right, you're not.

And: No one is perfect, I agree. E.g., my mother tongue isn't English, so my writings aren't faultless. But everyone should try to reach his personal best, his limit, TRY to be perfect.

You can't do that much to enhance your iq, but you can learn to increase your knowledge. You can't do that much to be pretty, but you can care about yourself. AND: you can do a lot not to be overweight (except if you're fat because of illness). No one needs to be fat and ugly and a shame for the human race.

By the way: To have one or two extra pounds - that's not so bad. But to be fat, that is.
    Who defines what is or is not fat in your book? In my experience, someone generally JUDGES someone based on physical appearance alone before ever knowing anything about that person. "Ugliness" is defined by OPINION 99.9% of the time, NOT expertise. A person can take care of himself/herself very well and someone else can still consider him/her ugly and/or fat.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Dalonord
    Ha! How right you are. I grew up in a very small town and went to school with the same 20 or so kids for eight years (before high school--which was a regional, multi-town thing) and there was indeed only one 'fat kid'. I look back and I realize that he'd be considered probably more in the middle-range now.... And yes, he did get picked on quite a lot. So bad, that one time I felt terribly sorry for him that I told several of my good friends to basically shut the f*ck up and leave him alone. They looked at me as if I had three heads or someting.... LOL.
    I was never one to pick on the fat (plump) kid either...or any other freak kid for that matter either. Odin forbid...when I did tell several of my mates to leave a certain boy/girl alone I got accused of liking him/her...:haha School was a funny time. If it was a 'him' ('is that your new boyfriend')...'she' ('why are you talking to her?)....:rrofl

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by folkish
    Prove that.
    The clothing sizes have been enlarged. My '10' (Australian size) is now a 14.

The food has changed.....I can barely buy a normal yogurt (for example)...everything displays '99% fat free).

The obvious visual display of people in public.

It has shown through studies that the ladies of 1955 averaged a size 10 to 12 compared with today's standard of 14-16. (Australian sizes)

The obsession with exercise equipment, diets and embarrassing 'reality' make- over & weight loss programs/shows.

Alot of people of today are generally less active & quite frankly lazy & complacent.

The lack of actually cooking a 'real' meal is common these days. Feeding children meat pies, microwave instant food and take away seems to be normal practise.

I'll post some links if you want.. Folks are fatter! and that is a fact!

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SKADI
    Alot of people of today are generally less active & quite frankly lazy & complacent.

The lack of actually cooking a 'real' meal is common these days. Feeding children meat pies, microwave instant food and take away seems to be normal practise.

...Folks are fatter! and that is a fact!
    Very true! Unfortunately, sometimes (for some people) work does not allow time for the necessary things in life like exercise, quality time, cooking, etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123