Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Identitarianism as LARPing

I've witnessed the spectacular phenomena of Americans being singled out for LARPing, as if we're illegitimate bastards without the genetic right to Germanic inheritance. Does upholding the 1650s English Commonwealth and Protectorate religious and political arrangements in exile from the Stewart Restoration not count as validly English, because we are not under the monarchy of the later British "Commonwealth" (an insulting inversion of the historical English example, 1649-1660)? Who is truly Irish, between the North at Belfast and the Republic at Dublin? How does schism invalidate half of a Folk, over differences of framework for the sense of right governance? Let West and East Germans commit fratricide over the issue of who is real and fake...

Maybe Icelanders are not Norwegian, because Denmark took over, still the case for the Faroe Islands and Greenland. Maybe Prussia was nothing but a LARPing festival for expat Germans in the Baltic, hence, Germany itself was united by LARPing. Maybe Austria isn't Bavarian, because of the Hungarian union. Maybe Flanders isn't Dutch, because of Celtic Belgian cohabitation with Romance "French"--the Flemings are actual Franks but unknown as such on a social basis. Hell, France is LARPing in the extreme, but not actively so, by being Germanic in name only, whereas they're supposed to be actually Celts, yet speak Romance languages on the whole.

What does every Bavarian do when wearing lederhosen and dirndls, but LARP? Every time people wear uniforms from past battles of their ancestors and reenact the meaningful events of their Folk history, so that it never dies in obscurity, that is LARPing. There's no Germanic nation that doesn't preserve its ancestral legacy through LARPing. Rituals and traditions, wearing costumes and reciting legends or sagas are what keep the flames of heritage alive. People are, of course, free to choose from a vast array of rich cultural trappings in order to represent Germanic heritage before the world, to the edification of all generations and regions.

I don't value American Civil War reenactments that highly, because it was an aberration to me and I have ancestors on both sides, having to live among the memories, but the French and Indian Wars, the Revolution and War of 1812, as well as the Mexican and Spanish wars, all seem worthwhile to LARP about. I think I have only been inclined to a slight non-Germanic interest, in some self-loathing Arthurian fantasy. That's easier to bridge with the Legend of Prince Valiant, than accepting Welsh and Tudor propaganda about my ancestors. I was sickened by my attempt to coddle and accommodate British identity in place of or superior to my English roots. I'm glad I put it behind me, to feel natural in Germanic studies and appreciation. I don't mind bagpipes and kilts, but am no Scotsman.

If we don't live out our ancestry, we won't be in touch with it to pass it down. I care that my sons speak English rather than French or Latin, as used to be the case if English Folk wanted to get our government to listen to us in our own land--I had to learn them in order to understand historical documents between Hastings and the Hundred Years' War. That language red tape ended with the colonization of America and the execution of Charles I, the abolition of Prelacy, etc. LARPing is hardly an American phenomenon, for every time one sees a Confederate flag on fora like this, there are HRE, Prussian, Reich and Nazi along with Vinland flags.

God forbid Americans identify as a portion of the total English population, for that means the death of ("German American?") Volksdeutscher aspirations in the wake of Soviet ethnic cleansing. Boers must accept the Mugabe purge and implode in the face of the Zulu warriors' LARPing descendants. If it is good for the goose, it cannot be bad for the gander. No more hypocrisy, please. Skadi is just VR LARPing, better known as RPG. This is where we brainstorm and communicate our worldviews and experiences with LARPing: It's where the Germanic Folk in our entirety debate and argue about us vs them and membership criteria. LARPing is cultural activism, folkishness made manifest.

When I am the third in my line of British Englishmen to take an American Englishwoman to wife, I have to nullify the differences inasmuch as they have been healed by the time my father and I were born. Dad's mother and mine are both British and American in ancestry, although my wife is just American and it can be judged by this choice, that I have left Britain behind, to match my stateside interests. That doesn't mean I haven't any interest in England, but to the contrary, since I have come to accept American bias about Englishness. Gone are my former attachments to rank and posturing in the old aristocratic system. That doesn't make me any less English. Unlike David Cameron, I actually come from an English family, not some Scottish clan. Anthony Eden and (Scottish) Harold Macmillan along with Churchill, all had American background and they ran the UK from No. 10 Downing St.

Who is going to attack Neopaganism for the LARPing parody it is? I don't, although I used to dismiss Christian heritage in favor of Asatru attitudes. I would rather put them both into perspective, where they fit in Folk history and society, past and present. If I mean to value my ancestors, I cannot discard my good Christian grandparents (especially since I'm godson to all four of them!), whatever the state of society since. I strenuously object to those aspersions cast at Christians in the sense that we are LARPing in emulation of Jews, taking Luther and throwing him out the window by using his treatise on Jewry to dismiss everything else he stood for. When you throw out the baby with the bathwater, you completely miss the point. There becomes no basis for the ideology, when you uproot it. For instance, antisemitism as a convention is rooted in Christianity, so bashing Christianity just does Jewry favors and makes you a "righteous Goy". It's nice to be used and abused, to be foolish, isn't it, shills?

Last Online
    Monday, November 9th, 2020 @ 09:45 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Jutland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Family
    Widowed
    Politics
    cons. old fashion worker class
    Religion
    Philosophical Archaic Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    I had to Google 'LARPing' :

Live Action Role-Playing Game
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live...e-playing_game

You are writing much text , which is difficult to read because of the long sentences.

Life is a bitch and then you die ...
    Nothing much left after dead .

The rich ones can leave much more
    and the academics leave a New World behind them.

You seem to struggle with your heritage and want to adjust "rightfully" into
    the environment you were born into by parents not much interested in
    customs , traditions , history and heritage thus leaving you with nothing ,
    except a crappy Christian Religion , that has the disadvantage to be
    younger than the Jews with their Torah / Old Testament .
    Mk 10:18 What do you call me a good master, no-one is good .

Gylfaginning 1.39 But on wine alone Odin in arms renowned Forever lives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Uwe Jens Lornsen For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe Jens Lornsen View Post
    I had to Google 'LARPing' :

Live Action Role-Playing Game
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live...e-playing_game

You are writing much text , which is difficult to read because of the long sentences.

Life is a bitch and then you die ...
    Nothing much left after dead .

The rich ones can leave much more
    and the academics leave a New World behind them.

You seem to struggle with your heritage and want to adjust "rightfully" into
    the environment you were born into by parents not much interested in
    customs , traditions , history and heritage thus leaving you with nothing ,
    except a crappy Christian Religion , that has the disadvantage to be
    younger than the Jews with their Torah / Old Testament .
    Tell you what: I've quit LARPing as a Christian. It's occurred to me that our ancestors weren't even Christian, because we couldn't even read the Bible, then Evangelicals finally made it possible, but no sooner than the Reformers tried to purify Protestantism of Gentile spirituality that we kept during the Mediæval Dark Ages, Radicals began praying for the end of the world. Naturally, this beckoned the Enlightenment, but Romanticism complicated things.

Jesus only came for the lost sheep of Israel, the Ten Tribes and explicitly instructed his Nazarenes to go not into the Gentiles and Samaritans, but then Saul came into the picture, persecuting them before co-opting their Jewish denomination, using his Roman citizenship to get Simon set up in the Imperial city, converting Gentiles because the original Nazarenes didn't trust him and his old Pharisees mocked him for going soft.

Christianity is as much an Aramean religion as Judaism is Hebrean and Islam is Arabian. No amount of syncretic filtering will ever match it to our Aryan cousins' extant Heathenry of Hinduism and Buddhism.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 8th, 2020 @ 03:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    692 Posts
    Since we're officially stripped of any real, living, ingrained identity (as in Volk and Culture), I guess LARPing is everything that's left to those who think an identity would be good to have, whatever that might be. Every "subculture identity" is better than no identity. It provides the mind and soul with an anchor in the universe from which to view the world around one's self, it's the precondition to judge "right" from "wrong" and "good" from "bad" (regardless from what the perspective is drawn). Only if one has experienced the peace-of-mind resulting from having that anchor can a worldview be developed and a deeper understanding of one's own nature be gained.

People accuse the "pagan metal" scene of LARPing, and I always thought just, yes and? They're two steps ahead of everyone who is just a "consumer" of advertised goods and MSM news. At least we dont have to explain to them what an identity actually is, and however deep or superficial, they also have a worldview already. So I think: go ahead, let's LARP the hell out of it.

Seriously, it's probably never been any different, 90% of people simply just LARP along the societal structures they're bound into. It's only ever a few who actually run the show, whether it was 1500 or 2020. So what? What matters are the front dancers, the creative heads, the thinkers, the artists, the deep divers who the sheep follow.
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to velvet For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts
    I like "Pagan Metal" and first wave Black Metal like Venom and Merciful Fate, but the Left Hand Path Satanists who take themselves or their agenda too seriously, really just try my patience and make me bored to tears with the Cookie Monster vocals and inane lyrics. There's atmospheric differences between them, but neither is LARPing in any meaningful sense that equates with neo-traditionalism. For that, I listen to Hardanger fiddlers and Michala Petri.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    692 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodskarl Dubhgall View Post
    I like "Pagan Metal" and first wave Black Metal like Venom and Merciful Fate...
    *sigh* That's not Black Metal^^
    If one really needs to go before 1989/90 for Black Metal, you'd have to pick Hellhammer, Samael, Bathory. This is what "informed" the socalled Second Wave, even though musically it has absolutely nothing to do with former styles. The Second Wave was split from its start, you have the Burzumesque/Thorns (Bathory) line, aka Black Metal, which went beyond the Death Metal "foundations" (*), way beyond (unfortunately, stupid Varg doesnt even understand what he created, different topic) and the others who never went beyond Death Metal like Mayhem/Marduk/Darkthrone and remained superficial.

*there's much more other influences to be drawn, which are willfully ignored by people who want to repeat the "judgement" of a 1993 Kerang! article about Black Metal (that also invented the link to Venom btw), essentially what you just said. It has nothing to do with "real" Black Metal, and it comes from people who have absolutely no clue what BM actually is.

But that aside. I didnt mention BM in the context of "LARP"ing because BM already has a Weltanschauung (in contrast to "world view"), an ideology way beyond a "front show". Not going to try to explain it, one could write a book about it and it still would only scratch the surface. It's not "LARPing as something" anymore, everything they do is informed and inspired by Weltanschauung, a belief, a philosophy, they "are" Black Metal (and to cite Varg: it's unfortunate that the genre got this name; indeed! Only talking about the Burzumesque line here, which is what I consider real Black Metal). It's also impossible to explain to people who think in drawers and wrong categories and contrasts while being caught in mainstream thinking.

Sure, unfortunately there are also the cookie monsters and donald ducks, luckily they're an outdying species. And they can be easily ignored because there's a million tons of Great Artists who understood what BM should be, both musically and philosophically.

my signature

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post
    *sigh* That's not Black Metal^^
    If one really needs to go before 1989/90 for Black Metal, you'd have to pick Hellhammer, Samael, Bathory. This is what "informed" the socalled Second Wave, even though musically it has absolutely nothing to do with former styles. The Second Wave was split from its start, you have the Burzumesque/Thorns (Bathory) line, aka Black Metal, which went beyond the Death Metal "foundations" (*), way beyond (unfortunately, stupid Varg doesnt even understand what he created, different topic) and the others who never went beyond Death Metal like Mayhem/Marduk/Darkthrone and remained superficial.

*there's much more other influences to be drawn, which are willfully ignored by people who want to repeat the "judgement" of a 1993 Kerang! article about Black Metal (that also invented the link to Venom btw), essentially what you just said. It has nothing to do with "real" Black Metal, and it comes from people who have absolutely no clue what BM actually is.

But that aside. I didnt mention BM in the context of "LARP"ing because BM already has a Weltanschauung (in contrast to "world view"), an ideology way beyond a "front show". Not going to try to explain it, one could write a book about it and it still would only scratch the surface. It's not "LARPing as something" anymore, everything they do is informed and inspired by Weltanschauung, a belief, a philosophy, they "are" Black Metal (and to cite Varg: it's unfortunate that the genre got this name; indeed! Only talking about the Burzumesque line here, which is what I consider real Black Metal). It's also impossible to explain to people who think in drawers and wrong categories and contrasts while being caught in mainstream thinking.

Sure, unfortunately there are also the cookie monsters and donald ducks, luckily they're an outdying species. And they can be easily ignored because there's a million tons of Great Artists who understood what BM should be, both musically and philosophically.
    I'm sorry, I used to get "picky" about the categories back in secondary school and probably might have been a wee bit snobby through my 20s, but having a vast array of adult musical interests keeps me from dwelling overlong on those quibbles and my 30s haven't placed any priority on boxing in taste. I care not which sub-metal Meshuggah (Future Breed Machine, New Millennium Cyanide Christ) or Amon Amarth (Fate of Norns, Twilight of the Thunder God) belong to, I just like them for their own talents, rather than their place in a filing cabinet like Allmusic. Where I put my music and film collections, it's all alphabetical order, not by genre. For instance, earlier while reading Skadi, I was going to put in Deep Purple but then saw that I hadn't listened to Apocalyptica for that much longer, so it was an easy switch, knowing that either have classical training and supreme professionalism.

Any way you put it, none of those groups are in any way traditional or truly folksy, but modern or post-modern and so, if they decide to perform unplugged, with rustic costume and heartfelt lyrics, that will be more impressive indeed than the enjoyable but ridiculous Finntroll (Trollhammaren), or WTF Satyricon (Mother North) videos. I really like folk and metal, but they are rather opposite styles of music, because one is subtle and the other is over the top. Listening to and watching the performances of so many of these cartoon characters, is like the 1995 Heroes and Demons episode of ST: Voyager, the 1999 Beowulf film with Christopher Lambert or the 2008 Outlander film with James Caviezel. Sure, in theory, I should like combining swordplay with sci-fi more than anything else, but when you mix up two really great things, you ruin both of them, lel. I wish it weren't so, but I can't wear plaid and camo styles without clashing.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    692 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodskarl Dubhgall View Post
    I wish it weren't so, but I can't wear plaid and camo styles without clashing.
    It's quite a different world in America, in every aspect of this topic. You have those Reanactment shows, big LARPing celebrations, but no BM, we have BM and no real Reanactment. The closest you get here with this are the serious Middle Age Markets with shows and unplugged bands (most famous maybe In Extremo, Corvus Corax, Tanzwut (industrial), but there are many more that I assume to be quite unknown outside of Germany). Maybe I should have mentioned that for me LARPing in this regard doesnt necessarily mean to "dress up" but rather a state of mind.

Wardruna gave birth to a new style of Folk/Heathen/Ritual Black Metal, there are some interesting projects that are even darker than Wardruna. Took a while, apparently no one wanted to spoil the AWE of Wardruna, but now slowly, it's coming.

my signature

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post
    It's quite a different world in America, in every aspect of this topic. You have those Reanactment shows, big LARPing celebrations, but no BM, we have BM and no real Reanactment. The closest you get here with this are the serious Middle Age Markets with shows and unplugged bands (most famous maybe In Extremo, Corvus Corax, Tanzwut (industrial), but there are many more that I assume to be quite unknown outside of Germany). Maybe I should have mentioned that for me LARPing in this regard doesnt necessarily mean to "dress up" but rather a state of mind.

Wardruna gave birth to a new style of Folk/Heathen/Ritual Black Metal, there are some interesting projects that are even darker than Wardruna. Took a while, apparently no one wanted to spoil the AWE of Wardruna, but now slowly, it's coming.
    I have not yet had opportunity to take part in a Renaissance Fair, just a "Wiccan/Pagan" festival and several Oktoberfests. I found the "Wiccan/Pagan" idea of entertainment a little silly, but the food and drink are always good, at least at Oktoberfest. One time, my wife and I got a very nice jar of lavender honey. The only period costumes I have ever worn--really just kits I put together, are 17th century sailor dress and 19th century farm gear. My father-in-law used to work as a costumed blacksmith, a tour guide for a American Revolution army fort, my uncle-in-law participates in American Civil War reenactments, while my aunt-in-law is just a cashier for a Shaker village. I also see a fair number of Amish and buy their produce when time and money are available.

In this context, I prefer my artistic atmosphere to be as authentic as possible, so Baroque and Classical compositions like Vivaldi, Buxtehude, Bach, Beethoven, sea shanties and other period music like in the films Amadeus or Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, those are what I like. Bring on the harpsichords, fiddles and bagpipes. Once it leaves clean amplifiers and they aren't in a legit costume, it's too parodist for me to keep interest. I see you don't think of King Diamond and Mercyful Fate as Black Metal, but their Melissa album has a bit of folk in it on the title track and Into the Coven, as do a few Megadeth songs like Absolution and I'm Coming Home. Whatever you may think of Metallica's commercialism, they are very much rooted in country rock in a similar way as Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Eagles, just a lot darker and more aggressive. Rather than BM per se, I'm more about Progressive Metal, Thrash Metal, Power Metal, Symphonic Metal, Speed Metal, Groove Metal...Just think of Yngwie Malmsteen or Scorpions, even put them together and that's my thing. I like Rammstein and KMFDM but not too much techno all the time.

Here are some examples that may mean something as what I believe are truly folksy enough "LARPing":

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 08:55 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Germany, Poland, Italy
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Software Engineer
    Politics
    Fascism
    Religion
    I Am
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I wanted to add that in the term LARP, there is an emphasis on "role playing" as in, the one playing the role can decide the story. It is the same thing as a traditional RPG, where your choices and actions can effect the path of your character. This is not applicable to re-enactments. A re-enactor is not allowed to change the battle. If there was ever a re-enactment where the opposite side won when they have historically lost, it ceases to be a re-enactment and becomes a fiction. Then it would be possible to assign LARP to it.

In modern society, LARP is a term to describe people whe are playing a "character" either in real life or on the internet. A person who creates a false persona vs how they are in private life. A person that does one thing for a day (such as a non-Irish celebrating an Irish holiday or at an Irish event) is not really LARPers. It is something of a continuing thing, day to day life of a false facade a person has put up.

Think of it as if real life or the internet was a play, and instead of being yourself, you are playing some other character. The unfortunate thing is that while there are many people who do this, their actions can have real world ramifications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast