Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Anton Huxoll’s Sparse But Sublime Paintings

Anton Huxoll (1808 – 1840) was a German artist who painted a famous painting of a bard before a royal family. However, I could only find three paintings online that were reliably attributed to this artist and there is essentially no biographical information available. If anyone can offer some more insight or artwork, please share!

http://www.renegadetribune.com/anton...ime-paintings/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    The Art of August Malmström and The Gothicism Movement

The first painting by August Malmström I can remember that ever caught my attention was the one I have used for this article’s card image. The painting in question is entitled Det Gamla Och Det Unga Sverige (The Old and Young Sweden) (1894) and in it we can see the old generation of Swedes -represented by the man with the long beard, known as Grenadier Johan Lundquist– opening the door to a new generation which is entirely represented by children. Symbolically speaking the painting could not be more telling.

Taking into account what is happening in Sweden these days all this comes with a bit of sadness. It also speaks of what could be lost if the tide of mud is not halted and turned away as soon as possible. The Swedes were once a proud people, but with these words I’m not referring necessarily to the mythical times of Ragnar Lodbrok, but to a time more “recent” in European history. The “romantic nationalism” of the 19th Century in some Scandinavian countries was palpable proof of this statement.

Malmström was influenced by the Gothicismus movement, which was basically a revival of the Nordic Mythos and Norse culture at large. The Gothicismus movement took place during the 17th Century but really gained momentum in the 19th Century (after a previous long hiatus) all over Scandinavia. Malmström like his good friend Mårten Eskil Winge (with whom he traveled to Paris to study art) centered his attention in the Norse Sagas as one of his main themes, but Malmström also represented images of traditional Sweden in which children were mostly the protagonists. Also famous are his painting of dancing fairies and other stories very popular in his native Sweden. But now I’m going to veer a little bit from the artist himself and go back to the subject of Gothicism:

Gothicism or Gothism (Swedish: Göticism; Latin: Gothicismus) was a cultural movement in Sweden, centered on the belief in the glory of the Swedish Geats, who were identified with the Goths. The founders of the movement were Nicolaus Ragvaldi and the brothers Johannes and Olaus Magnus. The belief continued to hold power in the 17th century, when Sweden was a great power following the Thirty Years’ War, but lost most of its sway in the 18th. It was revitalized by Romantic nationalism in the early 19th century, this time with the Vikings as heroic figures. – from Wikipedia

The Wikipedia entry also states that Erik Gustaf Geijer (1783-1847) was a member of the 19th Century Gothic League, which promoted the now popular image of the Viking as a heroic Norseman. It comes as a bit of a strange surprise seeing this man in his portrait doing what seems to be the Masonic hand-sign that Napoleon was known for (hiding the right hand inside his jacket). Geijer was a writer, historian, poet, philosopher and composer. From having a conservative outlook he became an influential advocate of Liberalism, which makes me think; was the Gothicism movement also hijacked by the usual suspects? I would like to investigate a little bit further on all this issue anyway.

During the 17th century, Danes and Swedes competed for the collection and publication of Icelandic manuscripts, Norse sagas, and the two Eddas. In Sweden, the Icelandic manuscripts became part of an origin myth and were seen as proof that the greatness and heroism of the ancient Geats had been passed down through the generations to the current population. This pride culminated in the publication of Olaus Rudbeck’s treatise ‘Atland eller Manheim’ (1679-1702), in which he claimed that Sweden was identical to Atlantis. – from Wikipedia

All in all I recommend reading the Wikipedia entry on Gothicism to get a wider view on this issue. For my part I have not been able to find more “reliable” sources on this subject (there is a lot of confusion between Gothicism and what people “popularly” understand as “Gothicism” which is something which has nothing to do whatsoever with the former issue – just do some google search to check this out) but I will keep on studying it regardless.

Viking and Historical Themes

Swedish Traditional Themes and Folklore

http://www.renegadetribune.com/the-a...cism-movement/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011