Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Has Many Benefits!

None
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, April 3rd, 2006 @ 09:17 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Breastfeeding Has Many Benefits!

I moved these posts in here from the Marriage/Children thread in the Relations forum.

kriegsmaschine wrote: >>Breast-fed beyond four months. Not sure how this is really a factor.
    Well then, let me educate you...

Breastfeeding at least four months has four important benefits over formula/bottle-feeding:
    • Breast milk contains immune-boosting nutrients that a child cannot get from cow's milk or formula. Studies show that breastfed children have fewer allergies and childhood diseases.
    • The IQ of breastfed children is shown to be, on average, 5 IQ points higher than their non-breastfed peers. They have fewer learning disabilities and behavioral problems as well.
    • A recent study conducted in the UK showed that breastfed children, on average, lived five years longer than their non-breastfed peers.
    • Breastfeeding increases the emotional and psychological bond between the mother & child. A child must attach to and trust his mother or he'll have difficulty finding and maintaining 'normal' adult relationships.

An important point to remember is that these benefits mentioned above are noticed only in children who were breastfed for at least four months.

A few other things I want to point out:
    • Formula is expensive. It's not unusual to spend $80-100/month on formula. Breastmilk is free.
    • A breastfed newborn wants to eat every two to four hours. The baby's digestive system can easily breakdown and digest breastmilk because it was made just for him and his needs. Formula is made for every baby and therefore, for no baby. Formula is harder for the baby to digest and hence formula-fed babies tend to get hungry less often - every four to six hours - and have more bowel irregularities. While this is great for Mom who doesn't really want to stop what she's doing every 2 hours to feed the brat, it is better for the brat, I mean sweet child, to eat smaller meals every couple of hours that are easy for him to digest.
    • Women who breastfeed report losing their 'baby fat' sooner. Studies also show that the uterus of a breastfeeding Mom shinks back to its normal, pre-pregnancy size faster than non-breastfeeding Moms.
    • A breastfeeding woman is half as likey to get pregnant as a non-breastfeeding one. Doctors think is the body's way of regulating itself and giving both the mother and child enough of a recuperative rest between births.
    • No bottles & rubber nipples to purchase, replace, wash & sterilize. No running out of formula. No need to carry a bottle around with you.
    • This point is for the men: You have a really good excuse for not getting up three times in the middle of the night to feed the screaming child.

I hope this clarified for you.

Yours,
    Sigrun Christianson, aka the Breastfeeding Nazi and Domestic Goddess Extrordinaire

Last Online
    Thursday, February 28th, 2019 @ 02:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European Ancestry
    Country
    United States United States
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Originally posted by Sigrun
    Well then, let me educate you...

Breastfeeding at least four months has four important benefits over formula/bottle-feeding:
    • Breast milk contains immune-boosting nutrients that a child cannot get from cow's milk or formula. Studies show that breastfed children have fewer allergies and childhood diseases.
    • The IQ of breastfed children is shown to be, on average, 5 IQ points higher than their non-breastfed peers. They have fewer learning disabilities and behavioral problems as well.
    • A recent study conducted in the UK showed that breastfed children, on average, lived five years longer than their non-breastfed peers.
    • Breastfeeding increases the emotional and psychological bond between the mother & child. A child must attach to and trust his mother or he'll have difficulty finding and maintaining 'normal' adult relationships.

An important point to remember is that these benefits mentioned above are noticed only in children who were breastfed for at least four months.

A few other things I want to point out:
    • Formula is expensive. It's not unusual to spend $80-100/month on formula. Breastmilk is free.
    • A breastfed newborn wants to eat every two to four hours. The baby's digestive system can easily breakdown and digest breastmilk because it was made just for him and his needs. Formula is made for every baby and therefore, for no baby. Formula is harder for the baby to digest and hence formula-fed babies tend to get hungry less often - every four to six hours - and have more bowel irregularities. While this is great for Mom who doesn't really want to stop what she's doing every 2 hours to feed the brat, it is better for the brat, I mean sweet child, to eat smaller meals every couple of hours that are easy for him to digest.
    • Women who breastfeed report losing their 'baby fat' sooner. Studies also show that the uterus of a breastfeeding Mom shinks back to its normal, pre-pregnancy size faster than non-breastfeeding Moms.
    • A breastfeeding woman is half as likey to get pregnant as a non-breastfeeding one. Doctors think is the body's way of regulating itself and giving both the mother and child enough of a recuperative rest between births.
    • No bottles & rubber nipples to purchase, replace, wash & sterilize. No running out of formula. No need to carry a bottle around with you.
    • This point is for the men: You have a really good excuse for not getting up three times in the middle of the night to feed the screaming child.

I hope this clarified for you.

Yours,
    Sigrun Christianson, aka the Breastfeeding Nazi and Domestic Goddess Extrordinaire

I understand your points, however it just seems to me like a trivial factor and all the breat milk in the world cannot make up for lack of good parenting. I have 2 sons, both of which I feel are very smart (I know... EVERY parent feels that their child is smart.) Our using formula was not an option because of my wifes breast reduction surgery(it was mandatory due to her small frame - very serious lower back problems because her breasts were abnormally large) made her unable to breast feed. I understand that this is not much of a problem now, but the surgery was done in 1996. I dont feel that they have suffered whatsoever because of using formula. I know that breast-milk is better, but I feel the alternative is fine as well. I know there are some mothers who will never let their children stop suckling the teet.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

[B[*]This point is for the men: You have a really good excuse for not getting up three times in the middle of the night to feed the screaming child.[/list]

[/B]

I cannot vouch for other men, but I for one loved getting up to feed my sons. I felt it was outstanding bonding time between us and I feel closer to them because of it. Looking at them as they stare at you. The bond one feels can be breathtaking.

Last Online
    Thursday, January 18th, 2007 @ 06:36 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    Living in the real world
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Originally posted by kriegsmaschine
    I know there are some mothers who will never let their children stop suckling the teet.
    I had a girlfriend who breastfed one of her kids until he was 3 y.o. Gotta wonder if it was for her own enjoyment.
    Last edited by cosmocreator; Wednesday, May 28th, 2003 at 03:27 AM.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    Living in the real world
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A child must attach to and trust his mother or he'll have difficulty finding and maintaining 'normal' adult relationships

I was never breast-fed.ing

EDIT:

I also read that children who were NOT breast-fed grow up to be more independent. I have always been very independent. It actually bothers me when people do things for me that I could do myself. I stopped wearing diapers by age 1. I know that's young. I was reading and doing simple math before I entered elementary school at age 5. I taught myself to play guitar and piano. I taught myself grade 13 subjects so I could go to university including calculus and physics -- which I was told wasn't possibly.

I have trouble developing relationships. I really do. But I'm also proud of my independence.
    Last edited by cosmocreator; Wednesday, May 28th, 2003 at 03:22 AM.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Originally posted by cosmocreator
    I had a girlfriend who breastfeed one of her kids until he was 3 y.o. Gotta wonder if it was for her own enjoyment.
    I know a girl who was breastfed until 10 years old.
    She is very literally the most insane and psychotic, manic depressive/bi-polar "woman" I have ever met. Both her and her sister were treated this way.
    There has to be a line drawn when it comes to breast-feeding.
    To me, 1 year sounds like plenty.
    Breast milk is a tool of survival for infants. As soon as they are old enough to eat soft mashed foods, it is no longer required and at that point cannot be done with the childs best interest at heart.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    Living in the real world
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Originally posted by kriegsmaschine
    I know a girl who was breastfed until 10 years old.
    She is very literally the most insane and psychotic, manic depressive/bi-polar "woman" I have ever met. Both her and her sister were treated this way.

I only knew the boy when he was 8. He was big for his age but was the biggest sissy. He'd cry over everything. It was because of him that we broke up.

None
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, April 3rd, 2006 @ 09:17 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

cosmo and kreigsmaschine,

Have you ever breastfed a baby? Do you think that we "get off' on it? Actually, it hurts - sometimes a lot. The breasts swell, stretch & ache and sometimes just even touching them lightly hurts like Hell. I will never understand how men (and even sometimes women, which is even more shocking) equate breastfeeding with erotic pleasure. It can be pleasureable, sure, but not in an erotic/sexual way. I wonder about you people, really...

The evidence in favor of breastfeeding is established and overwhelming, and your experiences with a few nutcases doesn't change that. I've known women to breastfeed until 18 months to two years and there isn't a thing wrong with it. Kids usually don't just stop all at once, they need time to transition from the breast (or bottle) to solid foods. I've noticed, as have others, that children in the midst of that transitional stage will take two steps forward one back - the step back usually occurs during a stressful time for the child, like when he is ill or there is a major change taking place in the household. Going back to the breast is a comfort for him.

The women I've talked to and heard from on this issue always come up with some reason why they couldn't breastfeed, but I suspect (and some have admitted) that they just "didn't feel like it" or they "thought it was gross" or it was "inconvenient" because she have to be with the child nearly all the time. Oh Gawd forbid some woman should have to take care of her own child - and breastfeed! That is just asking too much, huh? I have zero respect for those women.

Neither of you will ever know if breastfeeding would have made a difference in your lives or the lives of your children because it's too late now. You have no basis for comparison.

I really believe that only about 10% of the population should reproduce. The rest should get 'fixed' ASAP. The ironic part is that lowest and least educated classes in society out breed the smartest, healthiest, sanest and most financially sound. The people who are best equipped to have kids, are not. A cruel joke.

Ya know, public welfare benefits pay for sterilization, how sad that so few use it.

-Sig

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

cosmo and kreigsmaschine,

Have you ever breastfed a baby? Do you think that we "get off' on it? Actually, it hurts - sometimes a lot. The breasts swell, stretch & ache and sometimes just even touching them lightly hurts like Hell. I will never understand how men (and even sometimes women, which is even more shocking) equate breastfeeding with erotic pleasure. It can be pleasureable, sure, but not in an erotic/sexual way. I wonder about you people, really...

The evidence in favor of breastfeeding is established and overwhelming, and your experiences with a few nutcases doesn't change that. I've known women to breastfeed until 18 months to two years and there isn't a thing wrong with it. Kids usually don't just stop all at once, they need time to transition from the breast (or bottle) to solid foods. I've noticed, as have others, that children in the midst of that transitional stage will take two steps forward one back - the step back usually occurs during a stressful time for the child, like when he is ill or there is a major change taking place in the household. Going back to the breast is a comfort for him.

The women I've talked to and heard from on this issue always come up with some reason why they couldn't breastfeed, but I suspect (and some have admitted) that they just "didn't feel like it" or they "thought it was gross" or it was "inconvenient" because she have to be with the child nearly all the time. Oh Gawd forbid some woman should have to take care of her own child - and breastfeed! That is just asking too much, huh? I have zero respect for those women.

Neither of you will ever know if breastfeeding would have made a difference in your lives or the lives of your children because it's too late now. You have no basis for comparison.

I really believe that only about 10% of the population should reproduce. The rest should get 'fixed' ASAP. The ironic part is that lowest and least educated classes in society out breed the smartest, healthiest, sanest and most financially sound. The people who are best equipped to have kids, are not. A cruel joke.

Ya know, public welfare benefits pay for sterilization, how sad that so few use it.

-Sig
    1. No one said the the average breastfeedig woman "gets off" on it. We were speculating about the extreme cases.

2. My wife tried very desperately to breastfeed and is something that she still regrets not being able to do to this day. Sure there are lazy people out there, but as you staed previously, breastfeeding certainly is a lot more convienant.

3. I suppose you have done both bottle and breast feeding, then?

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 @ 10:37 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, breastfeeding till 10 years? Doesn't the milk stop being produced?

I am kind of in a hurry, all I say is that I am with Sigrun on this one, at least for now, but that won't probably change.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast