German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Just out of curiosity,

Is there somebody else who had/has withdrawal syndromes from stopping to smoke?

Just curious, because my doctor said my latest health problems concerning stress-handling which lead into digestion-problems and headaches would be a withdrawal-syndrome.

Gruß,
    Boche
    "We Germans fear God, but nothing else in the world; and already that godliness is it, which let us love and foster peace."
    - Otto von Bismarck, 1888

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 8th, 2021 @ 07:56 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Boche, your trouble seems to be psychosomatic, I don't think it's directly related to smoking per se but rather stress-related (and your possible perception of not being able to cope with it without smoking), therefore you need to stress less

I didn't have any obvious withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. In fact, I started feeling healthier immediately after quiting. I could breathe easier and take a longer walk without getting dizzy.

The major drawback was that my alcohol consumption went up a lot since it seems that in order to compensate for one addiction, you must create a new one

Off-topic:

Smoking and (over)drinking seem to fall under the behavioral category of skinnerian adjunctive behavior. It is also called behavior in excess, because it's stress-related and self-destructive. If you don't wanna bother to read all this jargon, in a nutshell it's mostly a psychological phenomenon that occurs when the organism (you) feels that he has lack of control over his environment (mainly due to inconsistent reinforcement in relation to his efforts), and that's why it needs to be dealt as such...

In simpler words:

Have a good, stress-free job and get paid well (and on time), minimize stress of everyday life (e.g. transportation, work schedules, etc), live in Switzerland = less chances to become addicted to smoking and drinking.

Come live in Athens where chaos reigns = become an alcoholic chimney

With my bloodbrothers at side, All sons of father with one eye, We were all born in the land of the blood on ice.

Last Online
    Monday, April 14th, 2008 @ 06:09 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Axis View Post
    Boche, your trouble seems to be psychosomatic, I don't think it's directly related to smoking per se but rather stress-related (and your possible perception of not being able to cope with it without smoking), therefore you need to stress less

I didn't have any obvious withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. In fact, I started feeling healthier immediately after quiting. I could breathe easier and take a longer walk without getting dizzy.
    psychosomatic could be it, its really something I know from my own body, but wont comment on it here, but i tend to agree with Blood Axis, but again just because its termed psychomatic can mean everything and can actually not be psychic but physical in reality. but maybe from stress hormons which is dubious related to the term psychosomtic again.

I think the reason Blood Axis breaths better, is the fact a substance called kolos is reholding the oxygene levels down and it can be up to 13 percent atleast. but on some trips i have smoked 100-200 cigs on one day. now beat that? dont think so. anyone can. but smoking is somewhat a curse.

its more interesting to know what they put into those cigs. some sort of analyse. but the factories have more money for that manipulation than those trying to undercover them.

scarry?

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 8th, 2021 @ 07:56 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    I have found the smoking addiction to be mostly a psychological/life-style related one rather than a physical one. At least so most of my smoking acquaintances admit (and I come from no1 smoking country of Europe eyes.

It is perhaps due to the cultural stereotype that smoking makes you look "cool", blowing smoke on somebody's face is "sexy", a woman's hand holding a slim cigarette attached to a pipe is somewhat of a "femme fatale" cliche.

Most people I know, including myself, have been "social smokers", i.e. smoking in public, when in company of others, when in various social settings such as clubs or cafes.

Of course there are heavy smokers who become seriously addicted but who can deny the sociocultural factor? Luckily, smoking advertisements have been banned in most countries.

With my bloodbrothers at side, All sons of father with one eye, We were all born in the land of the blood on ice.

Last Online
    Monday, April 14th, 2008 @ 06:09 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Axis View Post
    Most people I know, including myself, have been "social smokers", i.e. smoking in public, when in company of others, when in various social settings such as clubs or cafes.
    Yep. Mostly where its going now. and then a 100 percent stop. since I havent smoked cigs for 10 years and been total healthy, and fitness instructor... so why start now the last few months... girls turn me on to that nostalgic trip...

Last Online
    Friday, April 23rd, 2010 @ 10:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I never got into the disgusting habit. I just want to help my fellow Germanic people.

What Happens to Your Body If You Stop Smoking Right Now?:

http://www.healthbolt.net/2006/07/19...ing-right-now/

Numerous Reasons to Quit Smoking:
    http://www.stop-smoking-techniques.com/

How to Quit Smoking:
    http://www.mahalo.com/How_to_Quit_Smoking

wikiHow-Smoking:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Special:LSearch?fulltext=Search&search=s moking

More Resources:
    http://whyquit.com/
    http://www.lifehacker.com/software/h...dup-116537.php

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567