Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I don't smoke so I don't speak from experience. But I know there are a couple of new drugs that've only been out a year or two, that are supposedly better than patches at taking away the "morning craving".

They are usually used in combination with patches and have to be prescribed by a doctor.
    The brand name the drugs are sold under are Chantix and Zyban.

Two studies published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) showed that about 22 per cent of smokers on Chantix were abstinent at the one-year mark, compared to 15 per cent for Zyban, and 9 per cent for placebos.
    source
    Apparently they work by closing off the pathway in the brain responsible for the craving, however one puff of a cigarette will open the pathway again.

My uncle has used on of these drugs (I'm not sure which) along with patches and reports good results with it.

Naturbursche
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 @ 10:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I stopped smoking 2 months ago, the reason i stopped was mainly because i simply didn't want anymore after 6 years of smoking. It started to annoy me suddenly and now i feel better anyway.

Altough the detox is until now a bit harsh, i also always smoked in stressy moments, now after stopping i got easiler stressed.
    But still i'm better now.
    Another funny issue about it is that my sense of taste became better and now food and drinks taste much more intensive than before.

A few hints mentiond are okay, but i wouldn't have needed them. I drank alcohol also after stopping when i went to a pub or restaurant at weekends.
    I still have alot of stressy moments which i can't avoid, but they don't make me smoke yet.
    And in the first month i still had 1 full pack of cigarettes on my desk whcih i sae everyday but i still didn't smoke a single cigarette from it.

So my hint to you is simply to stop, if you have a strong force of will you can stop easily.

Gruß,
    Boche
    "We Germans fear God, but nothing else in the world; and already that godliness is it, which let us love and foster peace."
    - Otto von Bismarck, 1888

Account Disabled on Request

Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 03:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    I stopped smoking my pipes - which I loved - because I was concerned about staining my teeth. I didn't do it enough to perceive any risk to my lungs, or exposure to tongue/mouth cancer (even if a misguided judgement).

This is a question of technology. I bet that in 100 years time, scientists will have invented a way of allowing people to smoke without it affecting their lungs, skin, mouth, teeth. Because there is nothing better. My dad told me to eat jelly babies or whatever if I wanted something to do while I read a book. That pissed me off. Smoking looks cool and is relaxing, eating jelly babies does not look cool and they contain sugar which is not relaxing.

Anyway I think smoking is related to pacification, it's a partial substitute for the mother. Thumb-sucking among even older children is an obvious relation to sucking at the breast, and it's done more frequently when someone is stressed or anxious. Nail biting, pencil chewing, sunglass sucking are related activities. The pleasure of nicotine does not fully explain why people smoke, it's also about the oral contact and tongue/mouth movements involved, a throwback to infantile comfort.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Monday, June 20th, 2011 @ 06:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Subrace
    Don't know
    State
    Alaska Alaska
    Family
    Married with Children
    Occupation
    disaster mitigation
    Politics
    I want my country back now
    Religion
    HFR Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Boche is right.

You must rely on will-power alone. Individuals who are unable to endure suffering discomfort will not be able to kick smoking, or any other habit for that matter.

I quit a two-pack habit four years ago so I know all about it.

With my bloodbrothers at side, All sons of father with one eye, We were all born in the land of the blood on ice.

Last Online
    Monday, April 14th, 2008 @ 06:09 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Edward Elgar View Post
    I am trying to give up smoking. Have any members previously quit this habit? If so how did you do it? Can you recommend any books/CDs, etc?

I really don't know why I have smoked for so long (ten years), but it's a disgsuting habit and I'm determined to quit.
    Well, its either smoking or not, its that simple.
    I use to smoke 40-60 hand made cigs aday when younger, I just stopped like that.

It was over ten years ago, then i started and this is real stupid, like 4 months ago with Blue Kings. around 20-30 aday with filther though and mild, its some girl which turned me unto them. nostalgic. and she was here this whole night again, and we just smoke the fucking universe away.

I will stop, Since I start the pumping more serious again, its been on much standby since Jan, and lost 21 kilo, and got a shock since it was all muscles and im still big, but this time i can only regain them by not smoking and training, now i gained around 3 kilo again.

Lets stop smoking!

Keep the thread updated for prosperity.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 28th, 2011 @ 07:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Saxon & Swedish
    Country
    England England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellstar View Post
    Lets stop smoking!

Keep the thread updated for prosperity.
    Good luck to you too Hellstar! No more cigarettes! It is important to be strong and healthy.

With my bloodbrothers at side, All sons of father with one eye, We were all born in the land of the blood on ice.

Last Online
    Monday, April 14th, 2008 @ 06:09 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matamoros View Post
    Good luck to you too Hellstar! No more cigarettes! It is important to be strong and healthy.
    Couldnt be said better! Thanks.

Last Online
    Saturday, May 7th, 2011 @ 08:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    England England
    State
    Mercia Mercia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    None of your business!
    Politics
    Ethnonationalism
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well up until five minutes ago I had gone 33 hours without a cigarette, but the film I was due to watch starts at 11.30pm (now) and not 11pm. I then happened to notice someone smoking outside, couldn't find my hypnosis CD (it does help...) and so nipped to the garage and bought ten Mayfair lights. Pathetic, I know.

I will now endeavour to locate the aforementioned CD and start again when these run out - probably Wednesday. Just a temporary set back.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Monday, June 20th, 2011 @ 06:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Subrace
    Don't know
    State
    Alaska Alaska
    Family
    Married with Children
    Occupation
    disaster mitigation
    Politics
    I want my country back now
    Religion
    HFR Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Elgar,

The part of the human brain that gets addicted to nicotine and is triggering your cigarette cravings has a terrible "short-term" memory. Based on this knowledge, quitters like you and I can now form an intelligent strategy for winning. If you try this, you will win.

The most intense part of the cravings last on average three to five minutes. Anyone should be able to endure three minutes. It seems longer, so time it on your watch if you wish. The beginning of the "fit"; until cessation of the craving. It will be three to five minutes.

If you concentrate only on fighting five-minute battles with yourself whenever the craving surfaces you will be successful. Don't over-think it, just resist long enough for that part of your brain to get distracted by new stimuli.

Good Luck to all the quitters,

Zimobog...

....who quit four years and has saved $20,384 in cash because of it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast