Nation, Family and preservation
    Religion
    zutreffender Katholischer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mad Gods and Generals

I just finished watching Gods and Generals. I am mad with anger. What's with Jackson fraterizing with a coloured boy. It tore me bitter. I was all for the south and the movie but is this the case that those brave men that defied the terror of Union aggression, fought under the banner of a tolerant Jackson. Nonsense. I think this a product of Media swirking. It is a disgrace to those who fought for honour.

Verslingen
    We come from the land of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot spring blows
    Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands to fight the horde sing and cry valhalla i am coming
    On we sweep with threshing oar our only goal will be the western shore
    We come from the land of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot spring blows
    How soft your fields of green can whisper tales of gore of how we calmed the tides of war we are your overlords
    So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins
    for peace and trust can win the day despite all your losings

Last Online
    Monday, May 1st, 2006 @ 11:26 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Re: Gods and Generals

Don't know much about the Old South, do you?

Mention the legendary Confederate General Stonewall Jackson to most people and the image that immediately comes to mind is one of a fearless, hard-fighting Southerner known for his eccentricities, who some say fought for slavery. But Thomas Jonathan Jackson was a much more complicated man.

Indeed, a careful study of his life would lead one to believe that General Jackson might even be described as a civil-rights leader. Yes, that’s right, a civil-rights leader. In the nineteenth century, prior to the War of Federal Aggression, Virginia law prohibited whites from teaching blacks to read and write. Though Stonewall Jackson was known as an upstanding and law-abiding citizen in Lexington, he routinely broke this law every Sunday.

Though the law was not strictly enforced, Jackson quietly practiced civil disobedience by having an organized Sunday school class every Sunday afternoon, teaching black children to read, and teaching them the way of salvation. There are still churches active today that were founded by blacks reached with the Gospel through Jackson's efforts. Jackson taught the Sunday school class for blacks while he served as a deacon in Lexington’s Presbyterian Church.
    Read more @ http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig2/williams1.html

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 04:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I enjoyed the movie. The swash of "politically correct" scenes is to be expected. I have several ancestors that fought for the Confederacy, do you? Does anyone have any who fought for the Union a.k.a. "dang ol' carpet-baggin' Yankee scoundrels"?

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
    I enjoyed the movie. The swash of "politically correct" scenes is to be expected.
    Actually, I'd call them more historically correct than politically correct. The intent, I believe, was to show these great men for what they were -- ardent patriots fighting for their home states, while the "racism" which modern "historians" tell us was the reason for the war knew no boundaries.

Simply put, most Southrons probably didn't hate their slaves or treat them cruelly, and probably were as friendly to them as possible, within the limits of societal standards. It's hard to hate the nanny who takes care of your children, for instance. The reason we cringe at the thought of great Confederate leaders being kind to negroes is that we're looking at history through a lens colored by close to fifty years of a failed experiment at integration.

I have several ancestors that fought for the Confederacy, do you?
    Two who died during the course of the war and one who disappeared (allegedly shot by a sniper while returning home after the surrender).
    Last edited by Appalachian; Wednesday, January 12th, 2005 at 05:04 AM.

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 04:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I probably have almost ten, but I will have to check out the genealogy book to confirm that.

Last Online
    Monday, March 19th, 2007 @ 03:25 AM
    Subrace
    Borreby
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Occupation
    Fisherman
    Politics
    Nation, Family and preservation
    Religion
    zutreffender Katholischer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Gods and Generals

I am canadian I don't know much about the American Civil war but it seemed to be a true fight for independence. My ancestors were in Bavaria, Iceland, Canada and England at the time. Our coloured population comes from our neighbours to the south. I would make a wittty comment but I am hiding from the Warning troll

bah

I would like more links to cw sites if anyone has any?
    Regards

Verslingen
    Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands to fight the horde sing and cry valhalla i am coming
    How soft your fields of green can whisper tales of gore of how we calmed the tides of war we are your overlords
    So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins
    for peace and trust can win the day despite all your losings

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Verslingen, there are lots and lots and lots of sites out there, and at least half of them are utter horsecrap, so picking and choosing is tough.

In the South, the war is very much still a personal matter, a matter of patriotism. In the North, I think, it's generally viewed as something that happened in the past and should stay in the past.

Blacks, of course, and those who hate our traditional culture tend to use the war and the South's continuing attachment to the Confederacy as a bargaining chip. What they don't seem to understand is that many of their ancestors supported -- and even fought for -- the Confederacy.

The origins of the war are disputed, but I'm of the opinion that it was a rebellion against the tyranny of Lincoln and the Republican Party. It was an assertion of States' Rights and a conflict that was to determine which model America would follow; Would we be a loose confederation of sovereign states, or would we be one massive superstate under an all-powerful federal government? I guess it's pretty clear how it turned out.

It's a vastly complicated matter, and is certainly among one of the most misunderstood conflicts in recent history. Of course, the winners write the history books...

Anyway, This site is a great resource if you're interested in learning more.