Religion
    Atheist.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Met - the Drink of the Gods

German:

„Man nimmt auf ein Theil frisches Honigs, acht Theil frisch lauter Brunnenwasser, thut es zusammen in einen küpfernen verzinnten Kessel, setzet solchen über ein helles Feuer, und lässet es zusammen sieden, und sobald sich etwas auswirft, muß man es fleißig verschaumen, will man aber solchen frisch hinweg trinken, so muß man ihn nicht zu dicke einsieden lassen, will man ihn aber auf eine Zeitlang verwahren, so lässet man ihn so lange sieden, bis er klebricht wird, alsdann in ein Faß getan, aber es muß auf zwey quer Finger breit ledig seyn, und stehen, wegen des Jährens.
    Man mag auch Zimmet, Muscatenblumen, Negelein, Cardamönlein, Ingber und Galgant in einem leinen Säcklein darein hängen, auch derb Farbe wegen etwas Safran, und als verjähren lassen. Und wenn er verjohren, soll er drey Monat lang hart verstopft liegen bleiben, und darnach getrunken werden.”
    (Der vollkommene Bierbrauer (1784), 203f.)

Google Translation :

"one takes eight Theil of freshly loud brunnenwasser on a Theil freshness of honey, thut it together into a kuepfernen tinned boiler, sets such over a bright fire, and leaves it together simmers, and as soon as somewhat ejects itself, one must such it verschaumen industriously, wants one however freshly away drink, then one must not too thick in-simmered him leave, wants one him however on for a while keep, then one leaves him so for a long time to simmer, until he is stick-arranged, then into a barrel done, but it must on zwey crosswise fingers broadly single seyn, and, because of the Jaehrens. One may hang also Zimmet, Muscatenblumen, Negelein, Cardamoenlein, Ingber and Galgant in a linen Saecklein into it, also crudely color because of something safran, and as if fall under the statute of limitations to let. And if it verjohren, he is to remain long hard clogged lying drey month, and after drink." (the perfect bierbrauer (1784), 203f.)

My Translation (early morning version ) :

8/9 Water , 1/9 fresh Honey you must put in a cauldron then you cook it to a sticky level, pour it in a barrel , wait one year and you can drink it. Additionaly you can put little sacks with herbs in. After the year the barrel should be closed 3 month.
    Last edited by Kräuterhexe; Sunday, January 2nd, 2005 at 06:04 AM.

Last Online
    Thursday, February 11th, 2010 @ 12:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Germanic
    Ancestry
    Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English, Scottish
    Subrace
    Nordalpinoid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Engraving
    Religion
    Gnesio evangelical catholick
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post Re: Met - the drink of the gods

Suggestions on the translation:

One takes up one part fresh honey, eight parts fresh unadulterated spring water, puts it together in a copper kettle, sets this over a bright fire, and lets it simmer together and just as quickly as scum rises to the top one must diligently remove it; but if one wishes to drink it righty away, one mustn't allow it to boil until thick, but if one wishes to store it for a while, one should let it boil until it becomes sticky, then put it into a barrel, however it must be open to a width of two fingers crosswise, and stand for a year.

One may also hang in a small, linen sack cinnamon, nutmeg, "bunch pink" (Sweet William, dianthus barbatus), cardomom seed, ginger and "spice- or siamese ginger" (Laos root, alpinia galanga), also strong coloring by way of some saffron, and leave it for a year. And when it has been a year, it should stand well plugged for three months, and thereafter drunk.

This is also available on the website: http://home.arcor.de/lokis/met.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Kräuterhexe
    German:

„Man nimmt auf ein Theil frisches Honigs, acht Theil frisch lauter Brunnenwasser, thut es zusammen in einen küpfernen verzinnten Kessel, setzet solchen über ein helles Feuer, und lässet es zusammen sieden, und sobald sich etwas auswirft, muß man es fleißig verschaumen, will man aber solchen frisch hinweg trinken, so muß man ihn nicht zu dicke einsieden lassen, will man ihn aber auf eine Zeitlang verwahren, so lässet man ihn so lange sieden, bis er klebricht wird, alsdann in ein Faß getan, aber es muß auf zwey quer Finger breit ledig seyn, und stehen, wegen des Jährens.
    Man mag auch Zimmet, Muscatenblumen, Negelein, Cardamönlein, Ingber und Galgant in einem leinen Säcklein darein hängen, auch derb Farbe wegen etwas Safran, und als verjähren lassen. Und wenn er verjohren, soll er drey Monat lang hart verstopft liegen bleiben, und darnach getrunken werden.”
    (Der vollkommene Bierbrauer (1784), 203f.)

Google Translation :

"one takes eight Theil of freshly loud brunnenwasser on a Theil freshness of honey, thut it together into a kuepfernen tinned boiler, sets such over a bright fire, and leaves it together simmers, and as soon as somewhat ejects itself, one must such it verschaumen industriously, wants one however freshly away drink, then one must not too thick in-simmered him leave, wants one him however on for a while keep, then one leaves him so for a long time to simmer, until he is stick-arranged, then into a barrel done, but it must on zwey crosswise fingers broadly single seyn, and, because of the Jaehrens. One may hang also Zimmet, Muscatenblumen, Negelein, Cardamoenlein, Ingber and Galgant in a linen Saecklein into it, also crudely color because of something safran, and as if fall under the statute of limitations to let. And if it verjohren, he is to remain long hard clogged lying drey month, and after drink." (the perfect bierbrauer (1784), 203f.)

My Transaltion (early morning version ) :

8/9 Water , 1/9 fresh Honey you must put in a cauldron then you cook it to a yellow color , pour it in a barrel , wait 3 month and you can drink it. Additionaly you can put little sacks with herbs in.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 10th, 2007 @ 05:04 PM
    Subrace
    Westisch/Fälisch.
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Nationalliberalismus.
    Religion
    Atheist.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for full translation .
    Last edited by Kräuterhexe; Sunday, January 2nd, 2005 at 06:03 AM.

Last Online
    Monday, May 1st, 2006 @ 11:26 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kräuterhexe
    8/9 Water , 1/9 fresh Honey you must put in a cauldron then you cook it to a sticky level, pour it in a barrel , wait one year and you can drink it. Additionaly you can put little sacks with herbs in. After the year the barrel should be closed 3 month.
    Sounds like an excellent recipe -- for vinegar.

Seriously, sanitation is key. If you intend to make a drinkable product, you've got to invest in some basic equipment. You'll at least need a glass carboy (5 gallons is good) and a waterlock. A few feet of aquarium tubing will come in quite handy. A good plastic bucket is a must (no pun intended -- the "must" is the simmering combination of honey and water before the fermentation process begins) for racking the mead midway through fermentation. Around these parts, one can acquire this stuff for under fifty bucks. Your mileage may vary.

Most other equipment you'll need can probably already be found in your kitchen. Just remember to wash everything thoroughly.

Then there's the matter of selecting the right honeys, yeasts, flavorings, and additives (all natural, of course)...

Of course, you guys may already know this stuff.

I bought some excellent German mead once at the Festung Mark in Magdeburg. Can't remember the name of the brewer, though. Still, nothing beats the satisfaction of homebrew.

Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 06:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Tydal/Litorid/Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Identitär
    Religion
    Indo-europeisk Traditionalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Great thread!
    Me and a friend have just begun to brew mead (or mjöd, as it is called in Swedish).

We are using 21 litres of freshwater from a local well, and 5 kilograms of hunny (according to my friend, it is important to use high-quality hunny. Cheap hunny is often made by feeding the bees sugar-water, but you'll need hunny with real nectar for the taste).

Today we cooked the hunny and the water together, and during the night it shall reach room-temperature. Then we will add the yeast, and start the process. Traditionally, one spat in the mix, and shouted loudly to scare away evil forces, but we will probably skip tradition tomorrow (I aint drinking something someone else spat in, and he'll get evicted if we start to shout and swear).

Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 06:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Tydal/Litorid/Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Identitär
    Religion
    Indo-europeisk Traditionalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

And today, after invoking Oden, Tor, Frö and Freja for good luck, we added the yeast to the water and honey. We also bought drinking horns, since one should not drink mead from a usual glass. And now we are waiting for the process to begin.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 10th, 2007 @ 05:04 PM
    Subrace
    Westisch/Fälisch.
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Nationalliberalismus.
    Religion
    Atheist.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hope it will taste. and make a foto please.

Last Online
    Thursday, February 11th, 2010 @ 12:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Germanic
    Ancestry
    Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English, Scottish
    Subrace
    Nordalpinoid
    Country
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Engraving
    Religion
    Gnesio evangelical catholick
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Glad to read other people are making this fine drink.
    I started a 6 gallon batch a few months ago. It is still sitting on the lees but hasn't cleared enough yet to rack into a new carboy. I always use the modern method of sterilization by sulfites instead of boiling which I guess is partly to blame for the slow settling of proteins. Also, I use the champagne yeast (technically saccharomyces cerevisiae) to achieve a dry mead with alcohol usually reaching about 18-20 percent by volume. I suppose this is all very unorthodox, more along the lines of modern winemaking. Still the raw unfiltered honey was from local california apiaries (i'm using mountain flora honey this time). Instead of chemical acidifier I used a couple limes. This method of using lemons or limes shouldn't change the flavor of the mead as they are part of the must and in small proportion, and will fade out over the duration of the brewing and clarification process.

If I wanted to be real "authentic" in deed, I guess I should use a big cauldron to boil the honey, dead bees and wax with various berries/twigs (for tannin), and river water, scraping away the white foam (good to spread on bread), and then put it in a tun with a slight gap and some old beer yeast starter, and let it sit, checking every few days to scrape off the accumulating unwanted molds and bacteria colonies. but in spirit I think we reach unity with our ancestors simply by having in the end a good strong drink.

Last Online
    Monday, May 1st, 2006 @ 11:26 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thiudans, I use a similar technique, minus the sulfites. I don't boil the must, either, but rather use a technique along the lines of pasteurization. I also like to use champagne yeast, and usually achieve around the same percentage of alcohol/vol.

I get the honey from friends who run an apiary, and I like to experiment with additives from the local flora. I've found freshly-dug sassafras and ginseng roots to be a nice addition.

I wonder, though, about the length of time it's taken for your batch to settle. A few months? I usually rack after about two weeks of initial fermentation, then ferment in the carboy for another two weeks or so before bottling.
    Last edited by Appalachian; Monday, January 17th, 2005 at 09:44 PM.

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 27th, 2005 @ 07:42 AM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Socially Conservative.
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oskorei,

"Traditionally, one spat in the mix, and shouted loudly to scare away evil forces, but we will probably skip tradition tomorrow (I aint drinking something someone else spat in, and he'll get evicted if we start to shout and swear)."

rotflol! just getting a visual of that. *grin*
    ~germana.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast