Religion
    Cosmotheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Gaia - The Living Earth Hypothesis

http://www.gaianet.fsbusiness.co.uk/gaiatheory.html
    In the early 1960's, James Lovelock was invited by NASA to participate in the scientific research for evidence of life on Mars. His job was to design instruments, capable of detecting the presence of life, which could be sent on a spacecraft to Mars. This wasn't straightforward, since it was hard to know what to test for: any life forms on Mars may be radically different from those on Earth.
    It was life processes, the cumulative actions of countless organisms, that were controlling the atmosphere. And viewed from outer space, the mass effect of these processes was that the Earth itself appeared as a living entity - especially in comparison with its dead neighbours. Lovelock had a sudden realisation that the Earth could best be described as a kind of super-organism:

"For me, the personal revelation of Gaia came quite suddenly - like a flash of enlightenment. I was in a small room on the top floor of a building at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. It was the autumn of 1965 ... and I was talking with a colleague, Dian Hitchcock, about a paper we were preparing ... It was at that moment that I glimpsed Gaia. An awesome thought came to me. The Earth's atmosphere was an extraordinary and unstable mixture of gases, yet I knew that it was constant in composition over quite long periods of time. Could it be that life on Earth not only made the atmosphere, but also regulated it - keeping it at a constant composition, and at a level favourable for organisms?" (1991)

Last Online
    Friday, January 14th, 2005 @ 10:32 PM
    Subrace
    European
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Gaian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: Gaia - The Living Earth

Clearly the most interesting thing I've read today.

Last Online
    Sunday, January 2nd, 2005 @ 11:57 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Revolutionary
    Politics
    Sapphic Separatist/Nationalist
    Religion
    Goddess Worship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: Gaia - The Living Earth

Gaia is obviously alive. People knew this many thousands of years past. I speak especially of the wise women and Goddess worshippers. What these men think they are "discovering" was obvious to those who worshipped Gaia long ago. Interesting article, I must say.
    Last edited by Sappho; Friday, December 31st, 2004 at 05:50 AM.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 7th, 2020 @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Self-Employed
    Religion
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Gaia Hypothesis

In 1965, J.E. Lovelock published the first scientific paper suggesting the Gaia hypothesis. The Gaia hypothesis states that the temperature and composition of the Earth's surface are actively controlled by life on the planet. It suggests that if changes in the gas composition, temperature or oxidation state of the Earth are caused by extraterrestial, biological, geological, or other disturbances, life responds to these changes by modifying the abiotic environment through growth and metabolism. In simplier terms, biological responses tend to regulate the state of the Earth's environment in their favor.
    SOURCE: The Gaia Hypothesis

Various links on the theory:
    http://www.oceansonline.com/gaiaho.htm
    http://www.gaianet.fsbusiness.co.uk/gaiatheory.html
    http://www.ozi.com/ourplanet/gaia.html

I happened upon this theory some time ago but recent catastrophic news made me rehash my thoughts on the subject. The theory completely makes sense to me and may support not-so-PC arguments currently in discussion.

Supposing this theory is truth, Mother Earth is currently aware of her horrible state and is attempting to purify herself of the largest problems where they will "hurt" the most.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Some people who completely misunderstand the Gaia hypothesis have given it a bad reputation. You see, they suggest that the Earth is somehow is a conscious organism that actively regulates human activity, or that "Mother Earth" is an actual entity that is taking her revenge on us.

In addition to being silly, these theories are also empirically false: if the planet was somehow alive and wanted to take us out, it could, and would, have done so long ago.

What is true is that all ecopsystems are finely tuned systems, and you can't mess with them forever without some kind of repercussions. Rapid climate change will produce extreme weather, that is obvious.

Last Online
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Self-Employed
    Religion
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch
    Some people who completely misunderstand the Gaia hypothesis have given it a bad reputation. You see, they suggest that the Earth is somehow is a conscious organism that actively regulates human activity, or that "Mother Earth" is an actual entity that is taking her revenge on us.

In addition to being silly, these theories are also empirically false: if the planet was somehow alive and wanted to take us out, it could, and would, have done so long ago.

What is true is that all ecopsystems are finely tuned systems, and you can't mess with them forever without some kind of repercussions. Rapid climate change will produce extreme weather, that is obvious.
    Earth IS a living, breathing concious organism in more than one sense. What we do to our planet is directly effective to the deterioration of the Ozone layer, extinction of species and a number of other hindrances. Our Earth is reactive to our choices.

It is not a matter of Earth "want[ing] to take us out" -- it's a matter of Earth surviving the wrath of humankind.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 15th, 2006 @ 03:17 AM
    Occupation
    musician
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Isaac Asimov wrote on this, starting in "Foundation's Edge".

(Skip the next paragraph if you don't want any spoilers).

Now, I don't know if it was his intent to make the planet Gaia, a completely pansentient being (with all life on the planet sharing one consciousness and thus considering themselves each "Gaia"), the home from which the Mule came, and the cause of his amazing capabilites, the center of it all along from the very beginning, or if he decided to integrate this into the story along the way.

Anyway, my thoughts mirror Eldritch's. It is a primary rule in biology that all living organisms seek to live (iow, be living organisms). So, when something is threatening that existence, it does try to work to prevent that (just as we see, in man. A lot of social issues would be explained much clearer if they were brought back to this rudimentary level). However, sometimes the elements, the changes, are too much for the organism to live.

The earth is just like nature, it doesn't really have a will or a bias. We are killing ourselves, it isn't killing us. The stasis that humanity has been involved with, congruently with the other forms of life that keep us alive and that we have helped keep alive, has been dwindling. But the earth would still be around if we all died, as well as a number of other organisms. And there would most likely still be a number of humans still around, who would then have to undergo a number of hardships and transformations just to make it.

The living organisms in the arctic surely are trying as best they can, to deal with the depletion of the artic ice (55+ percent in 50 years gone, i believe is the figure), but not much that arctic life can do about making it colder. That is something that they aren't really able to make happen.

As an example, I've seen footage of Crocodiles in Asia, that die due to extreme heat and drought. The crocodile and other animals are aware of what is happening, but can't do much to prevent it. When drought comes, the rivers turn to mud, and a crocodile will go into the mud, cover himself in it as best he can to retain moisture, or hid in a hole somewhere, but sometimes the elements are simply too strong and prevail over that will.

So, there is definitely a desire for all life to keep living. However, some things can get so out of hand that it overwhelms that drive. In the case of earth, things undoubtedly attempt to thrive as best they can, but in the situation today, things can be occurring so fast that the natural evolution is no longer able to keep up with the social evolution that is ocurring.
    Mathilda: "I know nothing about eternity, but I should think that what I feel whenever I think of you would have to be eternity."
    Henry: "Yes, Mathilda, we are eternal because we love each other."

- from "Henry Von Ofterdingen", Novalis

Last Online
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Self-Employed
    Religion
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    That is true but Earth IS a conglomeration of living organisms (more popularly referred to as Nature) and living organisms could not exist as they do on Earth without her.

Mammals, fish, plants and other living organisms come from Earth. Earth is a macrocosm of living things so in that is living itself. Existence as we know it would not be if it were not for Earth, the Gaia.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 15th, 2006 @ 03:17 AM
    Occupation
    musician
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm not disputing that.
    Mathilda: "I know nothing about eternity, but I should think that what I feel whenever I think of you would have to be eternity."
    Henry: "Yes, Mathilda, we are eternal because we love each other."

- from "Henry Von Ofterdingen", Novalis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast