Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Genetic Legacy of Paleolithic Homo sapiens sapiens in Extant Europeans: A Y Chromosome Perspective

Last Online
    Friday, December 8th, 2006 @ 03:25 AM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Post The Genetic Legacy of Paleolithic Homo sapiens sapiens in Extant Europeans: A Y Chromosome Perspective

The Genetic Legacy of Paleolithic Homo sapiens sapiens in Extant Europeans: A Y Chromosome Perspective

http://hpgl.stanford.edu/publication...v290_p1155.pdf

Last Online
    Friday, October 13th, 2006 @ 04:38 PM
    Subrace
    hmm
    Country
    United States United States
    natural
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post "The Genetic Legacy of Paleolithic Homo sapiens sapiens in Extant Europeans

: A Y-Chromosome Perspective"
    "A genetic perspective of human history in Europe was derived from 22 binary markers of the nonrecombining Y chromosome (NRY). Ten lineages account for >95% of the 1007 European Y chromosomes studied. Geographic distribution and age estimates of alleles are compatible with two Paleolithic and one Neolithic migratory episode that have contributed to the modern European gene pool. A significant correlation between the NRY haplotype data and principal components based on 95 protein markers was observed, indicating the effectiveness of NRY binary polymorphisms in the characterization of human population composition and history."

Last Online
    Saturday, October 22nd, 2005 @ 12:04 AM
    Subrace
    Corded/Balkanoid UP
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Politics
    Nutzi
    Religion
    Agnostic!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Post Re: "The Genetic Legacy of Paleolithic Homo sapiens sapiens in Extant Europeans

Very very interesting... especially about the migrations of my haplogroup
    Some info I had no idea about.

Last Online
    Subrace
    hmm
    Country
    natural
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: "The Genetic Legacy of Paleolithic Homo sapiens sapiens in Extant Europeans

Quote Originally Posted by Awar
    Very very interesting... especially about the migrations of my haplogroup
    Some info I had no idea about.
    What is your haplogroup? By your phenotype I'd say M170.
    Edit: I never did see a clear picture of you but I heard people describe you as some kind of big Alpine-like person.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Corded/Balkanoid UP
    Country
    Politics
    Nutzi
    Religion
    Agnostic!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Re: "The Genetic Legacy of Paleolithic Homo sapiens sapiens in Extant Europeans

Remind me, what's the conversion for M170.

Here are a few photos, I'll remove them in an hour or so,
    just guess

Last Online
    Subrace
    hmm
    Country
    natural
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haplogroup classifications do not equate phenotype but a rough parallel can be drawn. Phenotype-wise, I just associate M170 with an intermediate between a depigmented/selected/more rugged Middle Easterner in Paleolithic Europe and M173's Cro-Magnon (and slightly taking into account the later Middle Eastern neolithic expansion and the westward Kurgan (Indo-European?) expansion), so a Spaniard, northern Italian, certain Britons, certain eastern/southern Europeans (Balkan) and such..

You do look like my prediction, so am I right?

from the posted PDF.. M170: The polymorphism M170 represents another putative Paleolithic mutation whose age has been estimated to be ;22,000 years (22, 23). With the exception of idiosyncratic distributions indicative of recent gene flow, M170 is confined to Europe (Eu7). The mutation is most frequent in central Eastern Europe and also occurs in Basques and Sardinians that have accumulated a subsequent mutation (M26) that distinguishes Eu8. The closest phylogenetic predecessor is the M89 mutation, from which the most important Middle Eastern lineages originated. We propose that M170 originated in Europe in descendants of men that arrived from the Middle East 20,000 to 25,000 years ago, who have been associated with the Gravettian culture (16). This migration may have coincided with that of mtDNA haplogroup H to Europe. It has been suggested that Gravettian an Aurignac groups coexisted for a few thousand years, maintaining their identities despite occasional contacts. During the LGM, Western Europe was isolated from Central Europe, where an Epi-Gravettian culture persisted in the area of present-day Austria, the Czech Republic, and the northern Balkans (16). After climatic improvement, this culture spread north and east (16). This finding is supported by the present Eu7 haplotype distribution. In this scenario, haplotype Eu8 would have originated in the western Paleolithic population during the LGM, as local differentiation of the M170 lineage. The frequency and the distribution of haplogroup H across Europe support gene flow between Gravettian and Western European Aurignac groups and suggest differential gender migratory phenomena (24).
    Last edited by Test; Saturday, December 18th, 2004 at 11:52 PM.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Corded/Balkanoid UP
    Country
    Politics
    Nutzi
    Religion
    Agnostic!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Nope, I'm Eu4. Actually more closely E3b(alpha). Thanks for the guess though. It illustrates that Y isn't equal to phenotype, but it's good for tracing migrations.

Last Online
    Subrace
    hmm
    Country
    natural
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, I'm Eu4. Actually more closely E3b(alpha). Thanks for the guess though. It illustrates that Y isn't equal to phenotype, but it's good for tracing migrations.
    Definitely, it can only give you an educated guess, and even that is after you familiarize with it. I gave up the first time because I didn't see any pattern. Now I'm pretty good at it and enjoy it. Once you understand the scheme, it's fun when the findings confirm predictions.

Eu4 is also derived from M89, like M170 (So, I'm not that far off.), but arrived in Europe from the Middle East much later, during the neolithic expansion.

Or did you mean Eu3? That's Yap, which is a scattered lineage that's scattered in very small groups all over the place. Yap in Europe might even come from Africa.
    Last edited by Test; Sunday, December 19th, 2004 at 12:30 AM.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Corded/Balkanoid UP
    Country
    Politics
    Nutzi
    Religion
    Agnostic!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I know the gravettians are originally from ME. I'm sure it's Eu4, not Eu3.
    E3b is just another label for Eu4. The 'alpha' is a Balkan only sub-clade of the E3b.
    The sub-clades are where it gets even more interesting. Unfortunately I don't have any info for other haplogroups.

Last Online
    Subrace
    hmm
    Country
    natural
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know the gravettians are originally from ME. I'm sure it's Eu4, not Eu3.
    E3b is just another label for Eu4. The 'alpha' is a Balkan only sub-clade of the E3b.
    The sub-clades are where it gets even more interesting. Unfortunately I don't have any info for other haplogroups.

Ok, I see it. Yup, you are Eu4/M89-derived. So, you're paternal lineage is from the Middle East.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast