Politics
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Christmas

http://jol.ismennt.is/english/

When I was younger we carried on the yule log tradition. However it was greatly modified. I still have a yule log from many christmas' ago that has a place for three candles one for my self and siblings, the candles were burned on christmas eve and the log saved. The tradition may not be exact but its a very important part of christmas time in my family. Now I can begin a new yule log (candleholder ) with my children
    Last edited by Willowsprout; Saturday, December 11th, 2004 at 07:55 AM.

. "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Religion
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Thumbs Up Lovely S.! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Willowsprout
    http://jol.ismennt.is/english/

When I was younger we carried on the yule log tradition. However it was greatly modified. I still have a yule log from many christmas' ago that has a place for three candles one for my self and siblings, the candles were burned on christmas eve and the log saved. The tradition may not be exact but its a very important part of christmas time in my family. Now I can begin a new yule log (candleholder) with my children
    Now, THAT'S a GOOD tradition, S.! ...I like that. My family's just always had the same ole' individual sock over the fireplace for each kid routine! lol I love the site too, S., ...it has great insight into what goes on over yonder @ X-mas (fascinating!). The TREE issue over there, though, really breaks my heart, http://jol.ismennt.is/ljos/christmastre.htm ,--v
    "In almost half a century it has been tradition in Reykjavik to celebrate when the lights are turned on for the first time each December on the Christmas tree in the center of Reykjavik. This tree is from Norway - the country that the settlers of Iceland came from 1125 years ago. It is a gift from the City of Oslo to the City of Reykjavik. The Christmas tree from Oslo is always in the square Austurvollur. The Dom is to the left and the Parliament House to the right."
    "Iceland has since around 1200 been almost treeless country and is the country in Europe with the largest deserts. No evergreen tree is native to Iceland but Icelanders used to make a kind of a substitute trees for the big evergreens that did not exist in the Icelandic nature. These were made from a central pole on which branches were nailed, long at the bottom and tapering as they neared the top. On these branches the candles were fastened. The Christmas tree was usually painted green, and native foliage was used to decorate it. Such trees were still in use in some farms in Iceland in the eighties. In this century, locally grown evergreens as well imported trees have replaced the home-made ones. The pictures are of the traditional Icelandic Christmas tree."
    "Iceland was settled 1125 years ago by Vikings, who brought in domestic animals. It is well established that a large portion of the Icelandic deserts was vegetated at the time of settlement. Forests in Iceland consist mainly of small areas of birch woodlands or plantations of native or exotic species, covering only 1.4% of the total land area. At the time of settlement (AD 876), forests covered about 30% of Iceland, which means that 95% of the original forest cover has been lost. Glaciers currently cover about 10% of the country. Iceland Forest Service has information about combating deforestation and the Agricultural Research Institute has information about the deserts in Iceland. Vigdis Finnbogadottir former president of Iceland wrote preface to the book Rangeland Decertification."
    "The children in Reykjavik watching Gryla and the Christmas lads, the Christmas tree with lights on in the background."
    "Some faces appeared to be a bit worried, well Gryla can be scary!"
    I LOVE this picture!!...so CUTE!!! ...yeah, man, all you kids better RUN LIKE HELL! from Gryla!!! ...--v
    "Picture of Gryla by Hlín Gunnarsdóttir in Barnanna hátíð blíð."
    ...hehehehehahahahaha...RUN!!! ...now that makes me think 'Halloween' not 'Christmas'! lol ;-) :-)

Renewed
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Country
    United States United States
    Jaded
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post Re: Christmas in Iceland

Wonderful Tradition, Willowsprout!
    "I do not know what horrified me most at that time: the economic misery of my companions, their moral and ethical coarseness, or the low level of their intellectual development." Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

Last Online
    Friday, March 9th, 2007 @ 09:27 AM
    Subrace
    Skandonordid/Keltonordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Single
    Politics
    Großgermanien
    Religion
    Naturmystik
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AW: Christmas in Iceland

Really really nice traditions over there on Iceland. Makes a heart warmed somehow. Iceland has so many things left that we´ve lost here on the continent. A wonderful small country!

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006 @ 09:45 PM
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Head over heels in love
    Religion
    Forn Siðr Ásatrú
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Christmas

It's really great to see that these traditions are being hold up with pride and warm love. It's really a pity how old traditions get faded out along the history and pride of other traditions!

Great work Willowsprout.