Thread: Where do *dark* blue eyes come from?

Last Online
    Sunday, November 28th, 2004 @ 12:42 AM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    student
    Politics
    progressive liberal
    Religion
    Still deciding...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Where do *dark* blue eyes come from?

Is there any one particular region where a very fair complexion and blonde hair are typically paired with very dark blue eyes? I've recently met a fellow with this combination and it strikes me that very dark blue eyes aren't really that common and must come from some specific region.

Thanks!

Last Online
    Friday, December 8th, 2006 @ 02:25 AM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Post Re: Question *dark* blue eyes - where from?

I don't think that is common. You could help by giving some examples and maybe you can also tell us the origin of that guy.

Dark blue eyes and golden shades of blonde hair might be more common. Medium to dark brown hair and dark blue eyes are frequent on the British Isles, particularly in Ireland. The pigmentation is found in different bodily constitutions and facial forms.

Pure blue or light mixed blue eyes are in any case more common in NW (especially in Ireland and parts of Scotland) Europe than in NE Europe.

Last Online
    Sunday, November 28th, 2004 @ 12:42 AM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    student
    Politics
    progressive liberal
    Religion
    Still deciding...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually that's why I'm asking, I don't know his background and don't feel petty enough to ask him so I thought I'd check here to see if off the top, someone knew of a region where it might be a more typical feature.

Perhaps this isn't so much a classification question as an origins question..

BTW I just noticed the shift to German focus on Skadi. Is this still a relevant question to pose to the forum, this guy is extrodinarily fair with white blonde hair, I'd expect him to be possibly Scandinavian, not German, and certainly not Irish.
    Last edited by rayne_koest; Saturday, November 27th, 2004 at 10:43 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by rayne_koest
    Actually that's why I'm asking, I don't know his background and don't feel petty enough to ask him
    Such a question is not so petty.

In fact, I bet your friend would welcome your interest in his heritage. Just a simple, "where is your family from?" would probably, and easily, satisfy your question, IMO.

so I thought I'd check here to see if off the top, someone knew of a region where it might be a more typical feature.
    Like Volksdeutcher said, dark blue eyes are rather common in the British Isles, but certainly they're not limited to that region. I've known several Germans with the dark blonde/dark blue combination, as well as English people and even French. There's always exceptions to the "rule" when physical traits are involved. (just as blondism isn't exclusively a Skandinavian occurance, etc.)

Perhaps this isn't so much a classification question as an origins question..
    even so, a posted picture would probably get you more of an answer, or atleast better insight as to what your friend may be. Obviously, certain ethnicities share certain physical traits, and he may be easily figured out by this forum's many "experts". Although a classification is not necessary...it may help. It's just a thought.

BTW I just noticed the shift to German focus on Skadi. Is this still a relevant question to pose to the forum, this guy is extrodinarily fair with white blonde hair, I'd expect him to be possibly Scandinavian, not German, and certainly not Irish.
    I don't know if I have the, er authority to answer such a question...but I don't think your question poses any kind of opposition to Skadi's new mission statement and you've posted in the correct forum area, so I think that it should be fine. Besides, I'm sure there are plenty of dark, blue-eyed Germanic's so technically, this fit's right in.
    "Nature! We are surrounded and embraced by her:
    powerless to separate ourselves from her, and powerless to penetrate beyond her.

Without asking, or warning, she snatches us up into her circling dance, and whirls us on until we are tired, and drop from her arms." - Goethe

Last Online
    Friday, December 8th, 2006 @ 02:25 AM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm not sure the idea that is prevalent in especially the New World of dark-haired or red-haired (under 5 %, Hooton, 1958) is true.

Like I said, it's more frequent in Ireland, but such a combination is possibly numerically stronger elsewhere. Other than that dark blue eyes can be found almost among all Europids. I have seen quite many Kurds and even Afghanians with dark blue eyes. I have also seen many Italians with dark blue eyes. It's not restricted to NW Europe.

I cannot have an opinion on him before I have seen his morphology. Having information on someone's pigmentation alone cannot lead to an accurate classification.

Quote Originally Posted by rayne_koest